Author Topic: Mango varieties that need more than 17.5x20 spacing  (Read 1334 times)

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
Mango varieties that need more than 17.5x20 spacing
« on: February 16, 2018, 04:34:50 PM »
I am second guessing my choice to do 20' row spacing and 17.5'  tree spacing in the rows.  When I do the next section of the grove I will do 20x25 or 30 I think.  I just want things to be a little more airy.

My question is of the list below of trees that I have coming are there any that are brutes and I should not plant in the 17.5'x20 section because I won't be able to keep them contained or will inhibit the tree by trying to do so?

Cogshall
Kathy
Seacrest
Duncan
Coconut cream
Juicy peach
Val carie
Juliette
Pina coloda
Nam doc
Madame Francis
Carrie
Glenn
Lemon meringue
Venus
Phoenix
Fruit punch
Graham
Sweet tart
Cotton candy
Pickering
Valencia pride
Maha Chanok
Lemon zest

Thanks very much

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango varieties that need more than 17.5x20 spacing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
Valencia Pride gets huge from my understanding. Are you trying to give more space to your trees to increase air flow and try to limit fungal diseases? If so, tall trees or any trees that are really dense are difficult to spray and the larger and taller they are, the more difficult it is to spray the entire tree. A fogger should help but keeping trees smaller will give you more high quality fruit that you can pick and spray easier.

I recently sprayed some 15 foot tall by 15-20 foot wide Mango trees and it was not fun, especially when there is a slight breeze.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jXzpjZA38N0
Simon

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:28:27 PM »
Very good video thanks

To answer your question I am a little concerned about air flow but more about just having room to work and I do like to see some stature i.e. I like looking at the bigger trees it's what I grew up looking at.

After seeing that video I feel better and maybe I can just plant a couple specimen trees around the barn or future house and let them grow big.

I will segregate the Valencia prides and give them their own space

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
20 x 17.5 is plenty for pretty much any mango I know of, unless you're not planning on ever pruning.
Jeff  :-)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 08:17:08 PM »
At 17.5 x 20 you would have years of plenty of room between trees. Space like that could be used for intercrops of shorter term plants or trees like banana, papaya, guava, etc. Some even try planting close and removing every other mango tree but others I've seen try that became attached and couldn't bear to cut out 1/2 their trees. There is a lot of work involved in preparing land, setting up irrigation and all to put in small trees so widely spaced, it seems like using that space for something beneficial would make sense.

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 08:02:59 AM »
Ok good I feel better about the spacing thanks for the input

Amen on the work ..... we ran irrigation main line last couple of days and the dirt under my fingernails goes all the way to my first knuckles!

I agree on the short term waste of space and it bugs me ( although I can still mow and keep things tidey ). I thought about putting small potted mango trees in between and growing them out to 25 gal or larger and selling them?

Anyone got any pros or cons on that idea?

Any other ideas on use of that space?  ........ what ever goes there if anything would need to be ok with whatever sprays get used on the grove trees I guess

Thanks very much

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »
Papayas work well. You can by trays of F-1 hybrids from agristarts.
Jeff  :-)