Author Topic: Lula vs. Brogdon Avocado?  (Read 8816 times)

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Lula vs. Brogdon Avocado?
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »
I have one backyard planting spot, next to a huge ficus tree... that gets half sun (noon to dusk) in the summer and more sun in the winter.

I have two potted avocado trees - Lula and Brogdon - that I picked up at a plant sale. I have tried the Brogon and it was very good. I have not tried the Lula.

Questions:

1.) Will avocado trees do OK without morning sun?

2.) Would you rather have Lula or Brogdon tree in your yard - and why?

3.) I have heard some people say avocado trees must be planted in A / B flower pairs. Is this true? I have seen plenty of lone avocado trees bursting with fruits in my neighborhood.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:33:36 PM by BrettBorders »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Lula vs. Brogdon Avocado?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:19:47 PM »
I have one backyard planting spot, next to a huge ficus tree... that gets half sun (noon to dusk) in the summer and more sun in the winter.

I have two potted avocado trees - Lula and Brogdon - that I picked up at a plant sale. I have tried the Brogon and it was very good. I have not tried the Lula.

Questions:

1.) Will avocado trees do OK without morning sun?

2.) Would you rather have Lula or Brogdon tree in your yard - and why?

3.) I have heard some people say avocado trees must be planted in A / B flower pairs. Is this true? I have seen plenty of lone avocado trees bursting with fruits in my neighborhood.

The short answers are yes, yes and yes.  I would plant them both in one hole.  Brogdan is early and Lula is late.  Both are smallish fruits.  Lula is more flavorful in my opinion, but Brogdan is good also.  I have heard that Brogdan carries both A and B type flowers....or so I was told by Bill Hopkins many years ago when he sold me a Brogdan to make sure that the two seedlings in my yard would fruit. In most neighborhoods, in Florida at least, there are avocados within range of each other for pollination and so seemingly lone trees will bear fruit.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 10:52:03 PM »
Do Lula and Brogdon grow the same way (if you were to plant them together)?  Some avocado trees seem to grow straight up and narrow while others are fuller and maybe not as tall.  I was thinking of having a Brogdon grafted on to a Lula, which could potentially give me 5 months of avocados.
John

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 11:58:18 PM »
I like your idea, an avocado cocktail tree that'll give you five months of fruit per year. If you ask Pine Island Nursery whether a Brogdon/Lula cocktail tree would work, maybe you'll get your answer.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 07:32:51 AM »
The short answers are yes, yes and yes.  I would plant them both in one hole.

Love the idea! Never considered it was possible.

Just to confirm before I start digging... you are saying it is viable to dig a double wide hole and plant both trees next to each other... rootballs almost touching, trunks no more than 2' apart?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:35:46 AM by BrettBorders »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 08:19:25 AM »
The short answers are yes, yes and yes.  I would plant them both in one hole.

Love the idea! Never considered it was possible.

Just to confirm before I start digging... you are saying it is viable to dig a double wide hole and plant both trees next to each other... rootballs almost touching, trunks no more than 2' apart?

Absolutely correct. I see no problem with these two as being incompatible.  Just keep them pruned so one does not shade the other out and make sure that you plant them side by side so that they get the sun equally.  In other words, don't plant one so that the afternoon sun only hits one tree. So I guess that would be in a North-South configuration rather than an East-West configuration.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:49:07 PM »
You guys are giving me more planting ideas ;)..
I need more land !....

Ed..

So Brogdon is a good tasting Cado & will do well in NE Florida ?
Zone 10

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 08:43:48 AM »
I'd plant them both in such a manner that if you're later dis-satisified with either you can remove it.   Lula is grown commercially in south Texas.  I don't care for it. Too sweet and a little on the watery side for me but then again orchards tend to harvest before their fruit is at the peak of perfection.  Lula is not very cold hardy.   Look at Day or Oro Negro.  My ON little tree is holding 8 gorgeous fruit in pristine condition and that's with no sprays this year.  Got it (and Brogdon) from PIN last year. 

I may be rushed to early judgement but I'm gonna chop my Brogdon down to a nub and use it as rootstock.  Flavor was great but was impossible to peel, the meat clung to the skin and using a spoon to scoop it out like I would a Hass was useless.  The skin would just break up.  Also, the seed paper stuck to the meat.  Call me picky, but life's too short for that kind of aggravation. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:45:27 AM by Mark in Texas »

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 09:46:04 AM »
I have a Oro negro , Lula , Monroe , Beta , Choquete , Mexicola.
All in trail , so far all took 1 night of 31f well.

Wont get the Brogdon asper your review..

Thanks Ed..
Zone 10

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 09:55:28 AM »
I have a Oro negro , Lula , Monroe , Beta , Choquete , Mexicola.
All in trail , so far all took 1 night of 31f well.

Wont get the Brogdon asper your review..

Thanks Ed..
I am a big fan of Brogdon, very tasty though small fruit, tree is very vigorous and fairly cold tolerant, early fruit and great for guacamole.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:05:44 AM »
I am a big fan of Brogdon, very tasty though small fruit, tree is very vigorous and fairly cold tolerant, early fruit and great for guacamole.

Big seed.  How do you peel the thing?  Skin is so thin that it just breaks into small pieces for me and then the meat gets stuck on it.  Guess I'm spoiled as I have no problem processing fruit like Fuerte, Bacon, Hass, Reed.  Catalina almost peeled itself.  Meat almost fell off the peel - nice!