Nishikawa
2 (5.6%)
Utuado
0 (0%)
Catalina
2 (5.6%)
Lula (Sugary Flavor/Scab Magnet)
3 (8.3%)
CALIFORNIA Hass (Nobody can seem to agree on whether ok for Florida)
2 (5.6%)
Day
5 (13.9%)
Holiday
1 (2.8%)
Mexican/Stewart Mexican (Small, Short season)
1 (2.8%)
Dupuis (Cold Sensitive/Low Production)
1 (2.8%)
Yamagata
0 (0%)
Other
1 (2.8%)
Super Hass
3 (8.3%)
Joey
0 (0%)
Wurtz
4 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: POLL: Best tasting FLORIDA Avocado for the Dooryard  (Read 11792 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: Best tasting FLORIDA Avocado for the Dooryard
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 10:03:42 AM »
As Nighthawk has stated, Carlos stopped short on many of his recommendations. I'm wondering what the final decision was on the Oro Negro.

If I was living in Florida and had a pro like Carlos doing all the research and testing for me in my clime, I'd listen to him and follow his advice.

PIN recommended Brogdon and Oro Negro which I planted.  Couldn't stand Brogdon. It's just like these sorry "Tex-mex" trees (Fantastic, Joey, Wilma, etc.)  pushed by nurserymen here in Texas - has a thin skin which makes for messy processing and anthracnose pressures, big seed, fair taste and texture.  Chopped it down, grafted it to the Waldin it was on, and it's now a Frankencado of rich, high oil fruits.

One issue with that is Carlos is in an area of Miami-Dade that has a much different soil makeup than most ofher areas of SFla.  This can play a role in results of his observations and studies and how things would grow in areas with a mainly sand based soil makeup.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 10:11:19 AM »
One issue with that is Carlos is in an area of Miami-Dade that has a much different soil makeup than most ofher areas of SFla.  This can play a role in results of his observations and studies and how things would grow in areas with a mainly sand based soil makeup.

I understand and just like in Texas what works up north might fail down south.  Carlos has also amended his soil a lot. 

I'd try Reed if I were you folks.  It used to be sold in Florida.  Mine takes a lot of heat, like the upper 90's now, sometimes around 100F and is healthy.  Is also dropping a helluva lot of its new fruits now.  "June drop" came in July for me.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2017, 05:24:09 PM »
10+ Wurzt

40+ Wurzt

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk