Author Topic: Mango Seedling Help  (Read 849 times)

Sidd

• California, 9B
    • View Profile
Mango Seedling Help
« on: September 09, 2018, 02:54:14 PM »
Hi,

How do you determine how much to water these particular plants? I have a few different soils (miracle gro, coir mix, gritty mix) so I was wondering if someone could share their estimated watering frequencies and any tips. I'm also in CA zone 9b.

Also, I tried the paper towel germination method and 3 out of 6 seedlings sprouted roots very well, the successful ones making several punctures in the paper towel. The not so successful 3 just had a bit of black on them and didn't sprout at all, though I did buy them international (therefore irradiated). I planted them anyways just incase they might turn around though I'm not really expecting it to do so. Should I be setting these in sunlight or shade the first few weeks?

Thank you all.

jako9403

Re: Mango Seedling Help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
I would say semi shade. Good luck with your mangos!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
To sprout them, keep dirt wet and in a warm location. Its easier to keep the dirt wet if they are in part shade.  I water them once a week once they are established in the pot.  They dont need a ton of water.  The way to tell when to water is when the pot gets dry and feels light to pickup.  You can let the dirt get pretty much dry before watering again.  Its easier to plant directly in the pot. Cover with dirt an inch and leave in the shade or partial shade and keep wetted until it sprouts.  If its under about 85-90F outside they are fine in full sun.  Once they have a few sets of leaves then they can take even higher temps in full sun.  They are pretty tough plants and can take heat and will do better if the soil is allowed to dry quite a bit between waterings. 

CA is a big place too.  The 9B designation is pretty useless as it only tells us what your low temps are.  What city or area is it?  That would help more to understand how much sun/heat you have.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:01:07 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Sidd

• California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:30:51 PM »
To sprout them, keep dirt wet and in a warm location. Its easier to keep the dirt wet if they are in part shade.  I water them once a week once they are established in the pot.  They dont need a ton of water.  The way to tell when to water is when the pot gets dry and feels light to pickup.  You can let the dirt get pretty much dry before watering again.  Its easier to plant directly in the pot. Cover with dirt an inch and leave in the shade or partial shade and keep wetted until it sprouts.  If its under about 85-90F outside they are fine in full sun.  Once they have a few sets of leaves then they can take even higher temps in full sun.  They are pretty tough plants and can take heat and will do better if the soil is allowed to dry quite a bit between waterings. 

CA is a big place too.  The 9B designation is pretty useless as it only tells us what your low temps are.  What city or area is it?  That would help more to understand how much sun/heat you have.

Thanks, some of the soils I'm using are still wet, but one of them (the gritty mix) is already dry. I probably watered each plant about 300-400mL and of them, the miracle gro and coir are a bit wet, while the gritty mix is dry. I live near the South Bay, around San Jose area.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk