Author Topic: Oro Negro Avocado early this year but tasteless  (Read 1450 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Oro Negro Avocado early this year but tasteless
« on: October 16, 2020, 03:10:35 PM »
My Oro Negro Avocado started turning black on the tree around the first week of October.   I picked some and they did not ripen well. Totally tasteless, chewy, not matured.  Prior years I have picked my firsts in Mid November with the color change. Turning Color has always been a signal but this year extra rain and temperature is playing havoc with this variety. Any one experiencing this? 
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Oro Negro Avocado early this year but tasteless
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 04:35:44 PM »
I have just a few ,trees still  on the young side.But they have had color for quite a while.I'm going to wait for one to fall.
 My talpeno looks kinda like oro negro,but they finished up early up October.They did not look like the talpeno you grew on your web page.My plant came from Steve Brady by the way of Dr Richard Campbell.Very rich avocado!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 05:16:33 PM »
Interesting my understanding of Talpeņo is that it did not turn black , stayed green.  A big producer but I did not like it taste wise so I re-top-worked
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 10:12:33 PM »
No Oro Negro, but the Lula in my yard are ripening quite a bit earlier this year. Couple of fruit that fell off ripened okay.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 02:27:53 PM »
No Oro Negro, but the Lula in my yard are ripening quite a bit earlier this year. Couple of fruit that fell off ripened okay.
I Lulas are falling off the tree now in St Pete it is clear indication of a State wide warming trend.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 05:18:30 PM »
Black malama avocados dropping,forgot about them.Probably not commercial but good rich door yard tree

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 05:25:17 PM »
I Lulas are falling off the tree now in St Pete it is clear indication of a State wide warming trend.

...worldwide

Much to be seen how our cultivars perform as the environment changes.

All of my Oro Negro fruits dropped or were hammered by evil militant squirrels, months ago.

2nd year fruiting, yet to try one.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 06:39:54 PM »
We in the lower part of Florida will have to adapt. I have trees that did not even set one fruit this years, others did bumper crops. On the bright side it opens a lot of possibilities (and land) to places north of Miami-Dade  to grow sub tropical. I think that as far north as Sebring you can at some point in time do a commercial avocado grove. Land is a lot less expensive.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 10:26:53 PM »
We in the lower part of Florida will have to adapt. I have trees that did not even set one fruit this years, others did bumper crops. On the bright side it opens a lot of possibilities (and land) to places north of Miami-Dade  to grow sub tropical. I think that as far north as Sebring you can at some point in time do a commercial avocado grove. Land is a lot less expensive.
I tried to make that point some months back when someone was asking about the best place in Florida to buy land for a tropical fruit grove.  In addition, I suggested avoiding low-lying coastal areas.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:20:47 AM by johnb51 »
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 11:11:07 AM »
Totally agree with you John
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »

...worldwide

Much to be seen how our cultivars perform as the environment changes.

All of my Oro Negro fruits dropped or were hammered by evil militant squirrels, months ago.

2nd year fruiting, yet to try one.

Last year I got around 15 fruit.
This year it set a bunch and held them until around June Plum size then all of a sudden it dropped nearly all.
I assume it was due to the lack of rain.

I now have 4 left, lol