Author Topic: +100 passionfruits  (Read 4770 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
+100 passionfruits
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
This last few months has produced over 100 passion fruits and counting.  More than I've ever had.  We are eating them out of hand except for the few my 8 yr old used to make delicious cookies (she is a master baker). 

Passion fruit by Future Bermuda, on Flickr

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: +100 passionfruits
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
That's wonderful!

Is your 8 year-old willing to share her recipe? I've never had passion fruit cookies.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 06:23:37 AM »
Hi Future,
Those passions look awesome...how many producing vines do you have? Looks like this year was a great year for growing them passions 8)

I harvested the last crop of the season :)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:33:38 AM »
They look very good! Are they sweet? How big is the vine and where are you growing them on the worldmap?

I have 1 seedling that is sprouted so far. The others will come soon i hope.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »
That's wonderful!

Is your 8 year-old willing to share her recipe? I've never had passion fruit cookies.

She shares everything....to a fault.  I'll ask her.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 05:53:30 PM »
Hi Future,
Those passions look awesome...how many producing vines do you have? Looks like this year was a great year for growing them passions 8)

Thanks!  Technically 6 vines but 3 are in their own pots and 3 are combined in one pot.  I suspect the 3 in 1 have fused into one plant.  I see 3 different flower types - one is all white and the others purple.  It took me a while to notice a subtle difference in the purple ones.  Cross pollination was the trick to get major league fruit set this year.  With a new set of flowers for the first time (the white ones) it was easy to cross pollinate.  I see 6 fruit left on the vines which will bring me to 114.  Then I cut them back and wait. 

I am also going to air layer one of each this year for the first time.  Got one of those kits off them web someone mentioned elsewhere....

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 05:55:05 PM »
They look very good! Are they sweet? How big is the vine and where are you growing them on the worldmap?

I have 1 seedling that is sprouted so far. The others will come soon i hope.

The round ones are sweet.  Smaller but worth it for the taste.  My vines run up a wall and onto a neighbors hedge.  About 15-20 ft.  I need a ladder to pollinate the top flowers.  I am in Bermuda so they set from from Nov - Jan.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:32:12 PM »
Hi Future,

Thanks!  Technically 6 vines but 3 are in their own pots and 3 are combined in one pot.  I suspect the 3 in 1 have fused into one plant.  I see 3 different flower types - one is all white and the others purple.  It took me a while to notice a subtle difference in the purple ones.  Cross pollination was the trick to get major league fruit set this year.  With a new set of flowers for the first time (the white ones) it was easy to cross pollinate.  I see 6 fruit left on the vines which will bring me to 114.  Then I cut them back and wait. 

I am also going to air layer one of each this year for the first time.  Got one of those kits off them web someone mentioned elsewhere....

Why do you want to airlayer them? I read that a vine produces well for 3 years then it is getting less producefull. They are also graftable but i don't have any experience yet with growing it, i have only seedlings yet.

I will grow many of them, my garden will be a fruitgarden with some flowers but mainly fruits. I will grow some in big pots and some in full soil which i m composting now. Sprinklers on and in it and full sunshine. I hope that will make me a supercrop and that the squarrels don;t like them.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »
Hi Future,

Why do you want to airlayer them? I read that a vine produces well for 3 years then it is getting less producefull. They are also graftable but i don't have any experience yet with growing it, i have only seedlings yet.

I will grow many of them, my garden will be a fruitgarden with some flowers but mainly fruits. I will grow some in big pots and some in full soil which i m composting now. Sprinklers on and in it and full sunshine. I hope that will make me a supercrop and that the squarrels don;t like them.

Yes I have read they decline after 4 or 5 years or so mainly due to root problems.  Air layering gives them a fresh start.  It also keeps a particular line going given the fruit are all crossed.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
Hi Future,
Hehe I also got 6 producing vines ;D I planted flavicarpa, edulis x flavicarpa(the ones in the pic), flavicarpa, edulis x flavicarpa...etc to help with the cross pollination...luckly them bumble bees do all them job for me and them fruits come out full size and full of juice :) I remember seeing your white flowered passion, it's truly awesome you produced an alba mutation 8) keep this badboy run'n  :) 114 is most impressive...I never count the bounty ;)

This year i plan to play around with cuttings, air layers and grafts...I want to see which method is most reliable...cuz my vines are most productive and i wish to keep the strain going. Mine are three years old...one year left ;)  Good luck the propagation :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »
Hi Future,
Hehe I also got 6 producing vines ;D I planted flavicarpa, edulis x flavicarpa(the ones in the pic), flavicarpa, edulis x flavicarpa...etc to help with the cross pollination...luckly them bumble bees do all them job for me and them fruits come out full size and full of juice :) I remember seeing your white flowered passion, it's truly awesome you produced an alba mutation 8) keep this badboy run'n  :) 114 is most impressive...I never count the bounty ;)

This year i plan to play around with cuttings, air layers and grafts...I want to see which method is most reliable...cuz my vines are most productive and i wish to keep the strain going. Mine are three years old...one year left ;)  Good luck the propagation :)

Thanks buddy.  Bumble bees.  Wow.  Mine are ALL done by hand or I gets nuttin.  Good for you. 

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »
Hi Cultivator,
That's truly awesome 8) With your tropical climate, does your passions produce year round? Mine start to flower early march, then them fruits will be harvested throughout summer till early January :) Oh yeah, one of my ligularis is going to flower for the first time...YIPPEE ;D
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 02:59:10 PM »
Hi Future,

Thanks buddy.  Bumble bees.  Wow.  Mine are ALL done by hand or I gets nuttin.  Good for you.

:) Oh boy, I know the hard work of hand pollination...I hand pollinate my caerulea's to get an early crop, them bummble bees only start working at the end of March here in the highlands. Whilst in Calheta, they start to work in the begining of march  8)
Time is like a river.