Author Topic: What temperature(s) should I maintain in my greenhouse?  (Read 2917 times)

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
What temperature(s) should I maintain in my greenhouse?
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:23:26 PM »
My greenhouse contains seedlings and trees that are up to 10 years old. I would like the greenhouse conditions to be favorable for rapid growth of the seedlings and for maximum fruit development of the older trees. What temperature settings should I use for the day and for the night?

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
Re: What temperature(s) should I maintain in my greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 06:58:23 AM »
For some guidance you may want to take a look at this http://www.crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/trade_journals/2011/2011_Nov_root_temp.pdf

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »
Thanks Isaac, good article.

Cory

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 05:39:43 PM »
Thank you Isaac for the article. I am sorry I was not clearer in my post. The article states that maximum root growth occurs at temps between 72 and 81F although I recall that citrus roots function properly down to 57F.  So, for my 1 – 3 year seedlings, I would ideally want to maintain temps between 72 and 81F for maximum growth, presumably day and night.  However, I believe my older trees require a cold period to induce fruit set. If so, what are the day and night temperature requirements and the duration of these temperatures?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »
To induce a very good flowering  in citrus  ---- 2 weeks at night temperatures between 50 to 55 F, and day temperatures between 59  to 65 F.

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 11:43:23 AM »
I have no problem maintaining night temps between 50 to 55 F but day temps often go into the 80's , sometimes higher (depending on outside temps and amount of sun). Would the higher temps interfere with flower induction?
Also, would maintaining the greenhouse at these temperatures all winter interfere with flower induction?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »
With low night temperatures, and higher day temperatures your trees will still get a bloom, however the tree will have both a smaller number of floral shoots and flowers per shoot.   In areas such as Florida and other semitropical and tropical citrus growing areas, winter water deficit stress is imposed on citrus trees of all cultivars to compensate or inadequate exposure to low temperatures during their mild winters.   One last note: citrus are day neutral, meaning that day length does not induce flowering as it does in many annual and biennial plants.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:08:26 PM by Millet »

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 11:54:22 PM »
Millet, thank you for your replies.
I decided to keep the greenhouse temps set at 55 F and allow daytime temps to reach mid 70's due to solar heating. I will move the seedlings out of the greenhouse and into my home and put them under lights with temps of about 65 - 70 F in order to get maximum growth.
Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 12:01:06 AM »
If the plants are going through Winter in a state of semi-dormancy the minimum temperature should be about 50 F.
To grow, citrus needs a minimum temperature of about 65-70 F. The growth rate will be nearly twice as fast at 80 F as it will at 70 F.
It is okay for the temperature to go down in the night but generally you don't want a temperature drop of more than 17 degrees or so (between day and night) because that can encourage leaf drop. At about 89 or 90 degrees I'd start being concerned about overheating.

Seedlings should probably be kept above 68 at all times, and prefer a warmer 76-79. Too hot isn't necessarily good, it can cause the soil to dry out or encourage root rot of the seedlings.

(all these numbers are very approximate)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:10:04 AM by SoCal2warm »

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 11:47:25 PM »
Millet, you said:
To induce a very good flowering  in citrus  ---- 2 weeks at night temperatures between 50 to 55 F, and day temperatures between 59  to 65 F.
Is it too late to do that? At least half of my trees are already flowering.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »
What if your tree,s has a lot of fruits going into the winter months, do you maintain a certain temp in your greenhouse?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
Vlad, if your fruits are already flowering it is too late, try next year. In my greenhouse, I set the thermostat at 55-F for the entire winter, and the day time temperature is whatever it is due to the sun light.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:27:00 PM by Millet »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 07:57:25 AM »
My heater's thermostat is set to 35F for several reasons - to save on propane costs, 2. growth is regulated by photoperiod with citrus.  It's a phytochrome, hormonal accumulation thingie.  You must have long days and short nights AND warmer temperatures to induce active growth.   Accordingly, you're wasting your money on fuel regarding citrus especially in Maryland.

http://www.crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/trade_journals/2010/2010_Nov_supplemental_lighting.pdf

Mark
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:01:57 AM by Mark in Texas »