Author Topic: my Maha Chanok mango dropped from th tree- will it ripen? (pics)  (Read 5236 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
as is my custom, I screwed myself over. I tried to move my mango tree on a dolly, out of the garage so I could water it, and even though I was holding on to the mango fruit as I moved the tree, the mango still dropped into my hand. The mango had just turned color from green to yellow about two days prior but it is still hard. some sap flowed for a couple of seconds when the mango dropped- i dont think it was clear but im not sure.

here are some pics next to an average sized over ripe atulf mango. is the mango sufficiently developed that it will ripen and soften off the tree? will the flavor be lesser because the mango didnt ripen on the tree?  Harry, is this mango a little on the small size for a Chanok?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:17:48 PM by lycheeluva »

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: my Maha Chanok mango dropped from th tree- will it ripen? (pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:36:42 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:38:24 PM »
If that fell off from just moving the tree on a dolly then it was most likely destined to fall off.  While it does have yellow coloration, it seems to be well underdeveloped...then again that is a lot of color for being what appears to be underdeveloped.  I wonder if that is a nubbin...
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 12:33:28 AM »
It's definitely a lot smaller than the Maha that is still green on my tree but I would guess that might be because your growing conditions are a lot different.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:31:05 AM »
SO sorry to hear about the accident LL...but I'm going to bet it will ripen  ;D. Please let us know how it taste when it does.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 11:32:55 AM »
Only one sure way to find out. Let it sit at room temp until it softens then let us know, good luck.   

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »
It is smaller than a fully developed Maha.  However, I have one tree that consistantly produces smaller Maha fruit just because....so I think there is a cultural consideration in evaluating whether your fruit is mature or not.  The yellowing of the fruit is encouraging.  Hard to tell more without seeing it in person and smelling it.  If it is mature, you will shortly have a very nice aroma developing and the fruit shoudl ripen with at least decent flavor.  I am not going to say categorically that it will be the ultimate Maha experience, but it could be, even under these accidental circumstances.  You know, you are your own worst enemy.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »
I have had premature mangoes that were blown off trees kind of ripen. Put your Maha in a paper bag along with a few bananas and see what you get. Going by coloration you will get 50% to 100% success

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »
I have had premature mangoes that were blown off trees kind of ripen. Put your Maha in a paper bag along with a few bananas and see what you get. Going by coloration you will get 50% to 100% success
You are better off not doing this and letting it ripen "natuarally" (the paper bag/etheylene gas will accelerate the ripening and sometimes caus ethe fruit to not ripen properly).
- Rob

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:30:31 AM »
mango is beginning to soften and smells heavenly. think i dodged a bullet here. shame the mango is a little on the small side though. cant wait to try. will post pics.

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 08:47:17 PM »
I hope it will ripen! For all the efforts you've done I hope you will be able to taste it :D

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
Hey Lycheeluva, have you eaten the Maha Chanok mango yet?  We are eagerly waiting for your review of the fruit! ;D
Simon

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
simon- i think it will be at peak ripeness tomorrow. it smells absolutely heavenly.