Author Topic: Lansium parasiticum Aka duku or langsat  (Read 4442 times)

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Lansium parasiticum Aka duku or langsat
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:57:21 PM »
Hi All,

I am looking gor a grafted Langsat also known as Lansium parasiticum.  Please let me know where i can order a tree.

Thanks

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Lansium parasiticum Aka duku or langsat
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 12:06:30 AM »
Buy/sell/trade is a good place to start.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 03:40:18 AM »
Just to avoid confusion L. domesticum is a very old composite species with numerous older synonyms. The species name L.parasiticum is a fairly recent proposed name that hasn't been accepted as yet and it is shaping up as if it wont. Duku, lansone. langsat, duku-langsat ,kokosan, longkong and all their respective varieties are considered a ingle species and the 2 sub species in the literature are probably not genuine.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 05:44:52 AM »
Just to avoid confusion L. domesticum is a very old composite species with numerous older synonyms. The species name L.parasiticum is a fairly recent proposed name that hasn't been accepted as yet and it is shaping up as if it wont. Duku, lansone. langsat, duku-langsat ,kokosan, longkong and all their respective varieties are considered a ingle species and the 2 sub species in the literature are probably not genuine.
Mike, look at plantlist.org. According to that site Lansium parasiticum is now the accepted name and L. domesticum is a synonym.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 07:06:13 AM »
Oscar you seem to be correct. I looked at this a couple of years ago and the medium confidence only on the plant list and comments I was seeing and the original paper not being fully embraced made me doubt the new name. Some were even listing L.parasiticum as a synonym rather than the reverse. See the examples below. I take it all back.

The name Lansium parasiticum (Osbeck) K.C.Sahni & Bennet has been proposed for this species. It has not been universally accepted yet (2014), so we are maintaining the name Lansium domesticum for the time being

Lansium parasiticum (Osbeck) K.C.Sahni & Bennet Accepted WCSP (in review) 2012-03-23 mediun confidence

Lansium domesticum Correa, Ann. Mus. Nat. Hist. Nat. Paris 10 (1807)
Latin for 'growing near houses, or domesticated'.
Synonyms
Aglaia aquea (Jack) Kosterm.
Aglaia domestica (Correa) Pellegr.
Aglaia dookoo Griff.
Aglaia intricatoreticulata Kosterm.
Aglaia merrillii Elmer
Aglaia sepalina (Kosterm.) Kosterm.
Aglaia steenisii Kosterm.
Amoora racemosa Ridl.
Lachanodendron domesticum Nees
Lansium aqueum (Jack) M.Roem.
Lansium domesticum var. aqueum Jack
Lansium domesticum var. pubescens Koord. & Valet.Lansium domesticum var. typicum Backer
Lansium javanicum Koord. & Valet. ex Moll & Janss.
Lansium javanicum M.Roem.
Lansium parasiticum Sahni & Bennet
Lansium parasiticum var. aqueum (Jack) Sahni & Bennet
Lansium pedicellatum Kosterm.
Lansium sepalinum Kosterm.
Taeniochlaena polyneura Schellenb.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:02:41 PM »
Does Langsat really have a chance in California?

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 08:34:24 PM »
From what I have seen on the market here, been considering planting Langsat, there is the 'common' variety, which they graft Longgong on top of.  In Thai Langsat and Longgong are two distinct species.  And in Thailand also divided further into different species, if you check this blog and put it through the google translate button in Chrome I think some good information:  http://longkongfruitforcommunitydevelopment.blogspot.com/p/longkong-lansium-domesticum-corr-duku-a.html

In specific, my local nursery is marketing Longgong Yongmas  which is grafted onto Longgong Ban (House/Common Longgong)

ลองกองตันหยงมัสเสียบยอด เพาะเมล็ดจากลองกองบ้าน

Here is the text run through google translate from the blog, I don't have time to correct it, it is semi-readable:

Longkong is a species of tree with Langsad, with thick bark and no rubber like langsat. Less meat But with a sweet taste. Scientific name is Lansium domesticum Corr, which is the same species is Duku (duku), the sun (Lang) is a separate species. The name is A. Domesticum Pelleg. The name of the Wollongong comes from the language of Yew
"Wollongong" of the city of Narathiwat.  .

Wollongong and Langsang are the same fruit trees. It is divided into 3 groups:

1. Wollongong The best quality seed with little or no seeds. The leaves are very similar to the dark green. And deep groove. It seems like that. Leaf wavy The group is divided into three types.

- Dried Wollongong is cooked with a glass of sweet meat and sweet aroma. The thick shell is dark yellow and no rubber
       - Wollongong ripe juice is quite juicy. Bright yellow bark
       - Longkong Palawan or Wollongong Ripe fruit is soft. The smell is not like the water. Thin crust and a thin rubber 

2. Dooku or Telugu leaves quite thick. And dark green like Wollongong. But less wavy The result is quite large. It has a thicker bark than Wollongong. There are many seeds and juicy juices found there are two types.

- DuPer Perfume has a slightly rejuvenated skin, slightly wrinkled skin.
       - Duo water effect is quite round. The skin is more

durable than Doug . 3. Lang Bang thin than Wollongong. Wave is not pronounced Smaller than Wollongong Ripe fruits are yellowish. The thin shell has a rubbery, 2-3 seeds per 
       plant. The fruit of the tropical rainforest. In Southeast Asia Thailand is the country that can produce the best quality of Wollongong.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »
Sorry just notice that google translate is butchering some stuff, Wollonggong.. is Longong.
Maybe be confusing but in English Longon is 'dragoneye' , but in Thai is Lamyai... very confusing stuff, not sure who did the original transliteration.

Anyways long story short, in the blog states Longgong (a subspecies of Langsat) is the best quality.  So where my nursery is selling Longgong Yongmas grafted onto Langsat, Yongmas is likely Yawi language for this semi-seedless no latex variety of Langsat.

The blog's scientific reasoning is that Longgong (possibly Longgong Yongmas) is Lansium domesticum Corr ----ซึ่งพืชที่อยู่ในชนิดเดียวกันนี้คือ ดูกู (duku) Which is a synonym for Duku.  And then Langsat is A. Domesticum Pelleg ส่วนลังสาด (ลางสาด) แยกเป็นชนิดหนึ่งต่างหาก โดยมีชื่อวิทยาศาสตร์ว่า A. Domesticum Pelleg

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:51:47 AM »
In Thailand there are 4 longkong I think such as longkong air and a few langsat such as variety Utteradit.The genetic studies show that it is all one species (which now is L.parasiticum) with a very broad genetic base and the two subspecies are not valid. One Malaysia genetic assessment of 64 accessions showed that even the division into langsat duku duku-landsat and longkong has no genetic basis.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 05:31:40 AM »
My longkongtree has insect under the bark...i cut all branches where i could see it but now it came back.

How can that be treated?

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 06:29:38 PM »
My longkongtree has insect under the bark...i cut all branches where i could see it but now it came back.

How can that be treated?

Assuming your langsat consists primarily of brown bark.
- Get a microfiber cloth, or a cloth towel
- Mix 1:1:5 Horticulture:Orange oil:Water
- Soak the towel in concoction
- Gently wipe the bark
- If on or under leaves, spray with mister or use a fogger in containment

I did this both my langsat trees and they're fine.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:01 PM »
First i think it was flowers but they never grew. The bark is damaged and it spread.

Now i think it is this:

Insect Pest and Diseases Control. The bark borers are the most common insect pests of lanzones. The caterpillars of the carpenter moth (Cossus sp.) and the green moth (Prasinoxema sp.) cause the scraggy appearance of the dead branches. Control of these pests include the scraping of the affected branches and painting with insecticides. Other borers affect the trunk, fruit and twigs. Other insect pests are scales, mites, leaf miners, leaf rollers, beetles and bugs.

It is also in the trunk and i don't want to cut there, i cut all branches with it but that did not help for long.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 09:13:25 PM »
Interesting, I have had some problems with baccaruea bark that sound like that although the trees rebounded.  I am losing a duku tree right now, it’s been one major branch at a time over a couple of years.  It’s still a mystery to us what’s causing it.

This thread has jumped around a bit without anyone attempting to respond directly to the initial question!?!

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:25 PM »
summary... it seems that Langsat is not a tree you want to plant, but Longgong is, which are both officially Lansium parasiticum, and Longgong is the same as Duku. 

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:51:30 AM »
Ordered in 5 trees today, Longgong Yongmas grafted onto Langsat from seed.  Directly from Narithiwat, so my Yawi Longgong coming straight from the Yawi source.  A bit more money then buying locally, but the trees looked bigger and healthier, and prefer it coming from a Yawi in Narithiwat. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 01:52:44 AM »
About the same chance as mangosteen in California, and nobody, as yet, has been able to fruit either there.
Oscar

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »
About the same chance as mangosteen in California, and nobody, as yet, has been able to fruit either there.

Getting it to fruit is like winning a lottery.
I'll be surprised if it ever flowers in my lifetime.

I'm just growing mine for fun, along with a few seedling mangosteens with very low expectations.
It's eventful to see them grow, especially in such a harsh (windy, cold, lack of humidity) environment.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 04:26:59 AM »
Generally langsat is the most cold hardy, followed by longkong, duku-langsat and duku, judging by where they are grown.I have longkong,duku-langsat and duku in flower now. The duku is prone to a corky bark condition but fruit are still ok.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »

My tree is grafted one and was 3 meters high before i cut out all the wood with bad bark. It have never bloomed but always looks good. I like to know how many years before fruit or what size.

I'm just growing mine for fun, along with a few seedling mangosteens with very low expectations.
It's eventful to see them grow, especially in such a harsh (windy, cold, lack of humidity) environment.

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »

My tree is grafted one and was 3 meters high before i cut out all the wood with bad bark. It have never bloomed but always looks good. I like to know how many years before fruit or what size.

Sunny's response