Author Topic: Crocston grapefruits  (Read 3428 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Crocston grapefruits
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:05:23 PM »
My first Crocston crop; now just need to get ripe.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Re: Crocston grapefruits
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »
Interesting, i have been searching for a grapefruit to grow in my climate, wich looks too cold for citrus growing. I thought that Bloomsweet grapefruit and Oroblanco are my best bet, the first one for hardiness, the second one for the lack of acidity. I'm wondering: what are the strong point of croxton over those two for a cooler climate? Our climate should be pretty similar.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:37:28 PM by Pancrazio »
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »
I've had bloomsweet; it is sweet like an orange, nothing like a grapefruit. Crocston is a pink grapefruit that tastes like grapefruit but originated in Columbia, SC and has been known to survive lows in the teens. I've heard of some that survived 14 degrees F without protection. I had 0 degrees for an entire evening several times the past two winters, so I have to protect my good citrus, other than citranges, with plastic covers and space heaters. I'm not zone 8.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 07:27:16 AM »
Wow, that's look a promising grapefruit. Another one which needed to be addedd to my list. Thank you for your comments on them.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 04:43:38 PM »
Is the Crocston the same as the Croxton. I could not find the Crocston online.
My name is Cindy

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 06:12:52 PM »
My little Bloomsweet barely managed to survive in the PNW, zone 8a, covered, and near the south facing side of a house.
Suffered severe bark damage, but actually managed to hold on to two leaves, which have since greened up a little bit but still look a bit yellowish and not healthy. Colder winter than usual and lots of snow.
I don't think it could have survived any more cold than it experienced.
It might have done better in the South (or Texas).

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 09:13:34 PM »
will2368,  the spelling "Crocston"  is a misspelling, the correct spelling is Croxton..  The Croxton grapefruit was propagate  by Dr. Robert Rodney Croxton in Columbia SC.  It has exhibited unusual cold hardiness for a grapefruit.  Dr. Croxton was an incredible gardener and loved sharing his plants and gardening wisdom. He grew a hardy grapefruit tree from seed  in Columbia which is now propagated in S.C. as the "Croxton Grapefruit."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 09:19:12 PM by Millet »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 07:16:49 AM »
Grapefruit is a lot hardier than you may think. I have three ruby reds in my yard. Two I grew from seed & are over 25 ft tall, they produce the best grapefruit I have ever had. The third is a tree I grafted from a old woman up in Summerville that planted hers from seed in the early 70's in upstate NY. When she moved down here, planted it in the ground, and hers is now over her house. None of these have ever been protected & have survived some harsh weather. I Jan. 2018 we had a freak ice / snow storm & dropped to 16F at my house. The trees dropped a lot of leaves & only produced a few fruit last year, but are back to normal this year with hundreds of fruit.