Author Topic: Jujubes in Florida  (Read 2898 times)

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
Jujubes in Florida
« on: July 30, 2017, 12:19:45 AM »
Hi,

I planted a sugar cane jujube a couple of years ago that I got from www.justfruitsandexotics.com and it seems to be growing well. The problem is that it pushes out these wee little flowers and then nothing. Anyone have jujubes produce in Florida?  Any experience with this particular variety?

Thanks,

Shawn

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Jujubes in Florida
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:42:49 AM »
I have been told the only jujube worth growing in  Florida is the Thai giant or thornless jujube.
I tried about 6 types of Chinese jujube including the sugarcane and so far the only fruit I have ever
got are from my 2 thai giants which produce a ton of fruit around December. Just fruits is located in the
panhandle and much colder winters. My Chinese trees leaf out but don't have substantial branch growth.
I do have a So or contorted jujube and it is pushing  7' and a good looking tree but so far no fruit.
This year I had 3 different Chinese types flower at the same time but no fruit set. My brother married a
Chinese girl and was over there. They don't grow jujube in the warm south they grow it in the temperate
parts of the country. I am curious is anyone fruiting Chinese jujube in Florida? 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:49:45 AM by achetadomestica »

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 02:08:27 AM »
I have two Thai Giant trees, and every June I take a chainsaw and cut them down to 4-foot high stumps, and by December they're towering over the house again and loaded with fruit. They are the fastest-growing trees I've ever seen and they seem to thrive on the chainsaw treatment.
   If you go with a Thai Giant, you'd better make plenty of room for it. These things get real big, real fast!

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:09:15 AM »
Yep, I was wondering if anyone is fruiting Chinese jujube in central to south Florida as well; particularly is anyone fruiting sugar cane jujube.   If not, I have an empty space available for another tree I guess.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 02:32:55 PM »
Chinese Jujubes do well up into zone 7 but south Florida you may be restricted to Indian Jujube. Search previous threads about the differences.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 04:51:29 PM »
Is there more than one variety of Indian jujube? I have both the PIN and TOP varieties, both have small thorns (thornless).  The PIN one has flowered and fruited for me. Delicious crisp little fresh green fruits. The TOP one is flowering now. On their website, the fruit is red. Couldn't get a solid answer from them on what color the fruit are, and eventually was told "yeah" they're red like the pics.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 11:06:37 AM »
Shawn
if your in zone 9b i think you should get fruit.
my first one died. still not sure why, it was 12ft and seemed very healthy at the time.
but the 2nd yr it produced a handful,  and 3rd year it produced a lot of fruit.

i liked them so much i now have 5 chinese, and 2 Indian seedlings.

the Li is 8ft in its 2nd yr, and is producing a good bit. its first year didnt produce
but, it hadnt been in ground long.
the others are a little smaller, but are flowering.

i think it might have to do with rainfall/moisture, as well as size
and i am still up in the air whether having a cold winter, or "chill hours"
has anything to do with production.
So far, i havent had a tree over 4yrs old, and its possible also that
it needs to be a certain age before it fruits consistently.

they also can flower in spurts all summer.
the first set of my Li only made 1 fruit this year
but, now i have a couple of dozen small ones holding on so far.
The Coco flowered twice also, but i still dont see any fruit yet
sometimes the end of summer is more productive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk