Author Topic: Budwood  (Read 3142 times)

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Budwood
« on: April 25, 2019, 08:31:45 PM »
Is ccpp the only place to get budwood? Florida only ships to Florida and Texas seems to only sell to nursrymen. This is kinda bad for a Louisiana fellow

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Budwood
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:27:45 PM »
I looked into ordering from CCPP but found it too expensive. (I am in Massachusetts.) For the price I would pay for cuttings, I could buy a 3 year old tree. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 11:24:16 PM »
I guess it really depends on your point of view. The CCPP allows me to get a dozen different special varieties so I can experiment and enjoy special citrus for years to come, and it costs less than going out for dinner. Seems like a great bargain  :D Now, can I get some citrus grafted on some rootstock at some local nursery cheaper, oh hell yes. But what a loss!  8)

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 08:51:20 AM »
Just a shame that many of the varieties they list are not available.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 01:02:28 PM »
Yes! I ordered this am. Now the proud owner of 600.00 of budwood @ 2.50 a bud. As you say they did not have lots of what I wanted. Gonna keep trying. I remember you.Sup

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »
What was your name on the old forum?

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 01:17:07 PM »
Calvin Bowman

Kelley_GA8a

• Stockbridge, GA USA 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 09:50:43 AM »
If you are not a resident of CA, you can contact the USDA National Repository and they may send you budwood for free. To my experience, they send it in the fall, around September or October. The contact information can be found on the CCPP main page.

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 02:10:05 AM »
I hadn't realized that the per-bud price is higher for non-California residents at $2.50/bud. I also hadn't realized that they seem to have doubled the price for CA residents. In the CCPP online order system I now see $1.50/bud instead of the previous $0.75. Dunno what it's now for out-of-state... :(

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 06:26:48 AM »
I am pleased that there is a place that we can  get clean budwood. On the other hand, when it becomes so expensive, people will start to pirate it......defeating the purpose of certified budwood and ensuring the longevity  of HLB.

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 07:36:24 AM »
Kelley, I cannot get budwood from the National Repository. This is what it says on its website:
The National Plant Germplasm System provides germplasm to support research and education. The Corvallis Genebank can only supply very limited quantities of plant materials and is unable to distribute Germplasm for home gardening.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 05:40:43 PM »
I was known as David on the old forum.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 05:43:02 PM »
David who? We had a few Davids?

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 10:49:31 PM »
David from Livingston.

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 01:05:35 AM »
I looked into ordering from CCPP but found it too expensive. (I am in Massachusetts.) For the price I would pay for cuttings, I could buy a 3 year old tree. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Most likely, but the variety won't be as wide. I usually order a stick from 4 or 5 varieties together with the s&h it comes out to around $30, which is more than a tree from Lowes or Home Depot but still cheaper than a tree from a nursery. I'm in Cali tho, so I get the "playa price", it'll be a little more for those out of state.

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 11:50:59 AM »
Most likely, but the variety won't be as wide. I usually order a stick from 4 or 5 varieties together with the s&h it comes out to around $30, which is more than a tree from Lowes or Home Depot but still cheaper than a tree from a nursery. I'm in Cali tho, so I get the "playa price", it'll be a little more for those out of state.
Just a heads-up that it's now $1.5/bud for CA residents, so $9/budstick. Shipping is $13 for a small qty. So one stick from 4-5 varieties will set you back over $50. The main issue I have is that I was good at doing cleft grafts using a stick each, now I need to switch to bud grafts...

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 11:56:34 AM »
Is your county under quarantine? I talked to Gene Lester the other day & he said pretty much all of southern CA is under quarantine now. He said it's only a matter of time before it makes it up to the bay area.

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 02:36:01 AM »
Just a heads-up that it's now $1.5/bud for CA residents, so $9/budstick. Shipping is $13 for a small qty. So one stick from 4-5 varieties will set you back over $50. The main issue I have is that I was good at doing cleft grafts using a stick each, now I need to switch to bud grafts...

Oh snap! Seriously? That's disappointing, but at least I have already ordered and grafted most of the varieties I wanted.

Is your county under quarantine? I talked to Gene Lester the other day & he said pretty much all of southern CA is under quarantine now. He said it's only a matter of time before it makes it up to the bay area.

Yes, Santa Clara is unfortunately under quarantine, acp is here but last time I checked hlb hadn't shown it's ugly face.
Family and friends are always asking if I would sell them a citrus tree but I always have to turn them down and explain to them why I cant. I would just give some away if I could.

Kelley_GA8a

• Stockbridge, GA USA 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 01:27:01 PM »
That’s too bad, Vlad - I guess I was lucky to get what I did last year.

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 10:34:24 PM »
CCPP did not charge me as much as they said they would. I bought 5 budsticks for $115 including shipping.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 04:23:32 PM »
Thats awesome. 5 budsticks ....30 buds and the certificate with shipping for 115.....may I ask how much they quoted you? I ordered and they sent @ 2.50 a bud, 12$ for sanitary certificate and 21.00 shipping. Pleased with the budwood and the sent extra.....it was small triangular wood but I could use it.