Author Topic: Squirrel problem  (Read 17034 times)

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Squirrel problem
« on: April 29, 2015, 12:33:16 AM »
This morning my Nam Doc Mai was attached by 4 squirrel playing chase. They did a number on my little mangos. They even dig holes to buried their nuts in my pots. They are little squirrel thugs I'm telling you. Standing on two legs chewing their nuts and making eye contact with me. Those little booger probably saying what are you going to do about it. Squirrels thugs...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:38:06 AM by RichardN »
RichardN

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Squirrel problem
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 01:35:21 AM »
i'm dealing with similar issues with west central fl thug squirrels. they keep creeping over my fence in the early morning and skinning my peaches. i am going to pick up a motion detecting sprinkler that i'll hook up to my hose. i'm thinking i'll need more than one, but they're pretty pricey.

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 02:36:39 AM »
I'm tired of playing nice. It's war time... Calling the U.S Marines squirrels.

If you guys have any other ideas please let me know. I just don't want to have any bloodshed on either side....Lol
RichardN

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 07:28:53 AM »
Just ask them to leave and there will be no bloodshed . If they don't just shoot them.  There rats.
Mike

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
i asked the guy at the feed store what the commercial pecan growers did.  he told me "tomcat."

https://www.google.com/search?q=tomcat+rat+bait&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

i tried it.  it works.  i have no treerats.  none.

treefrog land and cattle company

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 09:40:52 AM »
i had no idea that stuff worked on squirrels too...

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 10:26:18 AM »
Again this morning

RichardN

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »
Netting works very well. Sunlight and rain in, squirrels out. And it's way cheaper than buying multiple motion detector squirters.

You can also give the squirrels a better place to play, like with a squirrel corn wheel feeder, to help them stay out of other areas.

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 12:45:18 PM »
Netting works very well. Sunlight and rain in, squirrels out. And it's way cheaper than buying multiple motion detector squirters.

You can also give the squirrels a better place to play, like with a squirrel corn wheel feeder, to help them stay out of other areas.

I'm just afraid if I provide food, water, and play area  it would attract more of those little boogers. As we speak there are three squirrels doing their mating call offs. I really don't want to use Tom cat bait. Just worried about some little kids or pets thinking it's a green candy bars. The next thing, there will be a child flopping in my yard like a fish out of water, foaming from the mouth, and eyes rolled backwards. What am I going to say to the police if this happens?
RichardN

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »
Oh man, I absolutely cannot stand those MFers! They took most of my nectarines, peaches, longans, cherries, and dug holes all over the yard. A few years ago, Home Depot used to sell this blue poison, I just placed it in a few dishes around where they are, within a few days, all gone. The following months, no trace of any damn squirrels. I think the blue stuff has been outlawed, as I cannot find it anywhere. There was a thread here recently, showing the Rat Zapper to work great with squirrels. I just got one, will see how well it works. I thought the Rat Zapper only works on rats and mice, but apparently some people said it kills squirrels too.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 01:02:35 PM »
Have a heart traps and drown or shoot. Very effective. Once they learn what a mango is there is no stopping them.
JC

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 01:03:44 PM »
have seen people use a mixture of plaster of paris with peanut butter, apparently it hardens up in their gut and kills them...probably not the most humane way to get rid of them.

there was another thread about a poison that comes in block form (it's a green block), they gnaw on it, and it kills them...the person who posted had a special method of pre-crushing the block, into small bits, and place them in a little feeder he made, so the squirrels would be more likely to eat the poison.

personally I would get a Gamo, they are quiet, and effective...and safe.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gamo-Big-Cat-22-Cal-Pellet-Gun-with-4x32-Scope&i=710443
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:06:48 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 01:32:33 PM »
tomcat is the stuff that comes in block form.  it's a green waxy solid that looks like it has been extruded.  it comes in bars that easily break into blocks about one inch square and four inches long.  embedded in it are chunks of coarsely ground corn and peanuts.
they sell "bait stations," but i never bothered.  i put it out where the dogs can't get at it, but the squirrels can.  it's waxy enough to be weather proof.
it's intended for rats.  squirrels are just bushy tailed tree rats.

it works very well.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:37:22 PM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 01:38:51 PM »
tomcat is the stuff that comes in block form.  it's a green waxy solid that looks like it has been extruded.  it comes in bars that easily break into blocks about one inch square and four inches long.  embedded in it are chunks of coarsely ground corn and peanuts.

it works very well.

I think I saw the brown version of Tomcat (block form, looked extruded) in the restroom at a sporting event.  :P
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 01:53:16 PM »
Hi Richard,

I got a metal cage trap 3'x3' which is designed to trap squirrels. I used fruits (colorful) as bait and they can't get out once inside. On my first tried, I netted 7 boogers. Afterward, i put the cage onto the plastic container (come with the product) and transported to a park like 15 miles away. When I opened the overhead door, OMG they were running for their live but don't know where to go lol. I think it is call the squirrel eliminator and cost me like $80 at a local nursery.

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 02:24:56 PM »
Thank you for all your help. I will try the cage method. Hope tractor supply carry the cage. With the rain and the squirrels I hope there is mangos for me this year. If not have to buy mangos for the family.   
RichardN

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 02:59:40 PM »
I had a squirrel in my garage a few weeks ago. It chewed on some of the plastic food containers. Desperate time called for desperate measures. I used a glue covered rat trap sold at a bargain store for 99cents. Got the squirrel over night. I also put out the Tomcat blocks I bought at Home Depot, but it didn't even touch it. I used to think of squirrels as adorable creatures, but o more. They are enemies now.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 03:31:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elupFNLJrIA
This is one way to use Tomcat baits that I like. Baits are fastened using zipties to the limbs of the targeted tree. Credit to the forumite who posted this first (I think it was Dangermouse or jc. Apologies if it wasn't).

I have a Gamo IGT Silent Stalker whisper 0.177 cal. More than enough to handle those rat ba$t@%d$. No sonic boom to alarm the neighbors. but instead it does have a dull sound of a hammer striking a solid surface. Get a BSA red laser for day time aiming and it's easy pickings. Havarhart traps are good, but positioning needs to be off ground if you have garden lizards/iguanas etc in your yard as they'll set the trap off once baited. Gold ole stale bread and store bought mango are effective baits. Also of note, it may be illegal to relocate "wild" animals without a permit in your area. Something to consider as well.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 06:31:18 PM »
Squirrels fear this thread!

Here we conspire to commit rodenticide!

I have some bushy tail tree rats that are getting frisky...but if I kill them, I will have to eat them or feed them to my dogs.

At the end of the season I might make a squirrel skin frost cloth...(talk about absolute sustainability.  :P )
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:33:13 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 09:40:06 PM »

I have some bushy tail tree rats that are getting frisky...but if I kill them, I will have to eat them or feed them to my dogs.

At the end of the season I might make a squirrel skin frost cloth...(talk about absolute sustainability.  :P )

Adam, some people make darn good living of selling animal hide. You and I 50/50 😃
RichardN

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 09:42:17 PM »
TRAPPER - Kids in the Hall

Adam, some people make darn good living of selling animal hide. You and I 50/50 😃
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 07:51:58 AM »
I understand what it's like to hate animal pests. I'm trying to establish trees and bushes on my land and sheep break in and can mow them all to the ground in a day.I'm a vegetarian, but these are some sheep who I don't pity going off to the slaughter!

Still, I hope people at least try to be humane if they kill squirrels and try to do it quickly. That plaster of paris concept I've heard of before and find appalling, can you imagine how much they suffer? Glue traps aren't particularly humane either (as they starve to death while struggling) unless you combine them with another method to finish them off quickly. Guns are a pretty quick way to go. There have been some concerns about anticoagulant poisons like Tomcat on a number of fronts (http://www.audubon.org/magazine/january-february-2013/poisons-used-kill-rodents-have-safer), including their slow mode of death and how they can also readily poison pets and birds of prey that eat rodents and would otherwise help control their numbers.

I can't help but wonder if an *actual* tomcat might be a good solution. They are bred to be natural rodent control, after all, and one bite and it's over. That's assuming that they wouldn't be scared off. You'd need a climber, though.

An owl box might not be a bad idea. Assuming you're not using poisons, that is.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:07:27 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »
Ok, so if you're really angry at the squirrels use the plaster of Paris peanut butter.
 ;)

Vegetarians slaughter helpless plants everyday!  Plants are people too!

I understand what it's like to hate animal pests. I'm trying to establish trees and bushes on my land and sheep break in and can mow them all to the ground in a day.I'm a vegetarian, but these are some sheep who I don't pity going off to the slaughter!

Still, I hope people at least try to be humane if they kill squirrels and try to do it quickly. That plaster of paris concept I've heard of before and find appalling, can you imagine how much they suffer? Glue traps aren't particularly humane either (as they starve to death while struggling) unless you combine them with another method to finish them off quickly. Guns are a pretty quick way to go. There have been some concerns about anticoagulant poisons like Tomcat on a number of fronts (http://www.audubon.org/magazine/january-february-2013/poisons-used-kill-rodents-have-safer), including their slow mode of death and how they can also readily poison pets and birds of prey that eat rodents and would otherwise help control their numbers.

I can't help but wonder if an *actual* tomcat might be a good solution. They are bred to be natural rodent control, after all, and one bite and it's over. That's assuming that they wouldn't be scared off. You'd need a climber, though.

An owl box might not be a bad idea. Assuming you're not using poisons, that is.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 12:14:57 PM »
Best and most humane solution for handling rogue squirrels.... a hawk.

Closely followed by regular use of a quality .177 Pellet air rifle with a scope, augmented by a loose dog roaming the yard, preferably a feisty terrier.  In my yard the squirrels don't seem that bothered by cats.     

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »
SWRancher,

great shot!

you're an official falconer.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk