Author Topic: paper thin Glenn mango seed  (Read 2579 times)

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
paper thin Glenn mango seed
« on: September 07, 2014, 01:07:47 AM »
My Glenn mango purchased last year is around 4', with no branches, had 4 ripe large egg-size fruits. They are very sweet, but the seeds are paper thin. Does it mean the fruits were not pollinated?

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: paper thin Glenn mango seed
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:55:21 AM »
nch,

A thin seed is normal for a Glenn...especially if the fruit is only egg-sized. 
So I believe your fruits were pollinated normally and not the equivalent of a "cuke".

I think most forum members would have recommended that you not have kept fruit on this young tree in its first year.  Unfortunately, you may experience very reduced growth next year.
I've done this myself on some of my other mango trees just because I was so tempted to try the fruit for the first time.

You mentioned the Glenn was very sweet, which is very good since you live in a moderate HB coastal climate that is often 10 degrees cooler than where I am.
So what did you think of Glenn overall?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:50:45 AM by wslau »
Warren

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »
Thanks, Warren. The fruits were ripe, so they were very fragrant, which is nice, because I can rarely smell store bought mangoes anymore. Taste wise, they were just very sweet, no complexity. I have only tasted store bought Kent, Manila/Ataulfo, Tommy Atkins, so I don't have much to compare to, but I think I prefer Kent and Manila, even store bought. Maybe if I pick the Glenns a little less ripe they would taste better? Which of the mangoes you grow do you like best? BTW, I let my small tree have fruits on purpose because I don't want it to grow too big.
Thanks for mentioning "cukes". Now I have to look that up. I've seen egg-size Manilla mangoes in the stores, but have never tried them. The ladies that bought them told me they were very sweet. Are those cukes, or a separate varieties of mangoes?

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
nch,

Glenns that are a little less ripe will probably not taste any better.  For Glenns, my observation is that you cannot let them get overripe or else they will taste sour/fermented .
Yes, I agree, the Glenns are sweet, but not very complex.  However, they are very easy to grow and the tree is not bothered by colder winter weather in Orange County.

I now have 20 varieties of mango trees, most very young...so I have not fruited most of them.   However, from visiting Hawaii and attending taste testings, my favorites are white pirie, lemon zest, coconut cream, alphonso, and kesar.....these have complexity to them.  White Pirie, Alphonso, and Kesar have a noticable perfumy floral scent and flavor.  Lemon zest has a rich orangey flavor.  Coconut cream is a fairly new mango (Gary x Edwards) and is just wonderful overall, creamy and flavorful. 

btw, cukes is a term for a tiny mutant "seedless" avocado...So I was drawing a parallel to this.
I've never seen the small egg-size mangos that you are referring to...I assume they are in Asian markets.  Perhaps just small manilas.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:32:25 AM by wslau »
Warren

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »
I believe I heard the term nubbins used with those small improperly fertilized or aborted mangos. If your Glenn tree has very few leaves, this may possibly be the cause of lack of flavor although I've read many posts about the blandness og Glenn's.

Simon

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:18:52 PM »
My Glenn mango purchased last year is around 4', with no branches, had 4 ripe large egg-size fruits. They are very sweet, but the seeds are paper thin. Does it mean the fruits were not pollinated?

It would have been preferred to cut off the fruit when pea sized to give your tree more energy to grow.  I know if is hard to do.  My Glenns were plentiful this year, about 30, each weighing close to a pound.  My tree is two years old.  Someone on here posted their Glenn had about 300 fruit, but a much older tree.  You can tip the tree to encourage lateral branching.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »

My Glenn was put in the ground in September 2011, is ~12' tall, has a 10' + wide canopy and not one fruit yet! It's healthy as can be, just, no fruit.

I don't know what it is about my property, several of my trees took 3-4 + years to fruit and they were deliberately NOT bought as little sticks.
On the plus side, the Glenn is a real nice tree that has shaded a real hot western part of my house, so he has a couple of more years before he sees the axe!

If I were you I wouldn't worry about a small crop next year, you will get more fruit, probably sooner than me :-) 
Regards,

Gary

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:19:54 PM »
Thanks, Simon, Gary, and Mr Clean. Gary, I always envy the tree growth you guys get in Florida, but for just once, with this Glenn, I want it to stay on the small size. I just want it to bear a lot of large and tasty fruits. ;D. I think for me, the best way to get my trees to bear fruits is to threaten them with the ax.  :). All kidding aside, I am convinced your Glenn with bear fruits next year. My tree is just a stick, but I've seen Puglvr's pic of her Glenn. I really like the shape it has. Hope one day mine will look like that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk