Author Topic: 10/2 Broward Rare Fruit Council Meeting  (Read 10952 times)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: 10/2 Broward Rare Fruit Council Meeting
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 01:00:33 PM »
Pretty good talk, didn't even have to mention mangoes, although he did go over Kastoree, Lalejewe, and Rampagni. He was supposed to cover 24 species of fruit but ended up discussing a lot more than that.

He made a point to note what grew better in Broward's soil as opposed to Dade's (practically everything).

In addition to the new mameys and saps he touched a little on the "new" avocado cultivars they're introducing. I didn't take any notes but the one whose name I could remember was called "Blass", a black skinned type which he claimed to be of "pure West Indian" heritage. The description of the fruit and where it was discovered made it sound like a Guatemalan type though.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »
I highly enjoyed the talk and getting another taste of Marrisa Abiu from Noel.

The first avocado was something starting with P "de vida". The second, a seedless avocado, was called Juan Jose. 
Brandon

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »
It was a very good presentation,great to see Katie and Noel, the new avocado,and Mamet varieties tha will be available soon definitely perked my interest, I did not take many notes other than writing on the back of a home depot receipt! Lol,gues next time I will come more prepared!!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »
He mentioned a new Mamey Sapote cultivar from Costa Rica called "Mentosa Amarilla" which he said was incredibly delicious and very precocious. He claimed it was the best Mamey he has tried and it has deep red flesh.  The second half of the name "Amarilla" means yellow but it refers to the name of the town in CR where it was found.

Cool.  8) 
Alexi

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 01:38:07 PM »
Best part for me was getting some clarification on what Fairchild was going to do with Angie mango trees, I spoke with Dr. Campbell and I got the go ahead to graft and sell them all I want!!! That made my nite,and we will start next week propagating the heck out of them next week, wish I had more rootstock. Always something!! Lol

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »

He made a point to note what grew better in Broward's soil as opposed to Dade's (practically everything).

I agree, but up to a certain point. So mamey grows better in poorly draining muck soils of western broward than in deep sandy soils of hialeah, fl (northern dade)? Well, at least half of hialeah has sandy soil like where I live now in eastern pembroke pines.  I've seen some HUGE mamey trees in that area (hialeah)and I know the soil is sandy cause I used to live there until I was 9 years old. I lived just east and south of meadowlane elementary (just to give you an idea of my old location). My backyard neighbor had two grafted pantin mamey trees that used too give lots of delicious mameys.
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 01:47:16 PM »

The first avocado was something starting with P "de vida". The second, a seedless avocado, was called Juan Jose.

I had a Juan Jose avocado tree once. I killed it.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 01:50:03 PM »
No, Campbell said Zill was going to begin importing THIS YEAR.

Sheehan, I can't believe I gave up 2-for-1 Taco Tuesday on the beach while you gorged yourself.

There were lovely pictures. Interestingly, Campbell is not good at describing the taste of fruit. He mentioned that he grew up with tropical fruit, so abiu to him tastes like...abiu. But everything else about s lecture and lecture style is outstanding.

Where has 2-for-1 Taco Tuesdays? Have you had Zona Fresca's tacos? They're excellent.

Katie when I saw you, you were busy talking to someone. I turned around for a few minutes and then you were gone.

Sheehan, I hope you get smacked up side the head with a soggy taco in a nightmare tonight. That was way to good of a meeting to miss for food. Ok, I should not have said that since I don't know you, but tacos???!!! :o

I want to learn more about the dwarf jackfruit trees he talked about.

It didn't have to be tacos. I would have missed the meeting for any food probably because I was hungry at the time I was supposed to leave for the meeting and I had to make an important decision.

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »
141 attendees last nite,would have been 142 if Katie signed in!!!! Hahaha,pretty impressive turnout.

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »

I never, ever kill anything. My orchids, fish, corals, etc commit suicide! ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:20:09 PM by ReneeFLL »

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 09:37:28 PM »

You might be the Charles Manson of fruit trees!
FloridaGreenMan

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 08:06:04 AM »
He mentioned a new Mamey Sapote cultivar from Costa Rica called "Mentosa Amarilla" which he said was incredibly delicious and very precocious. He claimed it was the best Mamey he has tried and it has deep red flesh.  The second half of the name "Amarilla" means yellow but it refers to the name of the town in CR where it was found. He also said  that there are several new delicious Sapodillas from Nicaragua that Zill will eventually release and that they are easy to identify because the new emerging leaves are red colored. He did not give a time frame for release of these cultivars. You guys missed a very good and informative lecture! The place was packed with over 100 attendees.       

This is what is was thinking of.  Has anyone found out the names of the new sapodilla releases?  Maybe it's the Campeche that Squam has.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
He mentioned a new Mamey Sapote cultivar from Costa Rica called "Mentosa Amarilla" which he said was incredibly delicious and very precocious. He claimed it was the best Mamey he has tried and it has deep red flesh.  The second half of the name "Amarilla" means yellow but it refers to the name of the town in CR where it was found. He also said  that there are several new delicious Sapodillas from Nicaragua that Zill will eventually release and that they are easy to identify because the new emerging leaves are red colored. He did not give a time frame for release of these cultivars. You guys missed a very good and informative lecture! The place was packed with over 100 attendees.       

This is what is was thinking of.  Has anyone found out the names of the new sapodilla releases?  Maybe it's the Campeche that Squam has.

The thing that makes me think it wasn't one of these is because those saps were said to be from Nicaragua, and the name 'Campeche' would suggest its from Campeche state, Mexico.