Author Topic: COLD HARDY ANNONAS  (Read 2090 times)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
COLD HARDY ANNONAS
« on: April 16, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
Need expert annona advice!
There is very little information available in the US on this subject specifically.. some obscure and anecdotal evidence..
Basically I am looking for annonas that will survive comfortably in a lower 8b/northern 9a climate zone. Where minimum temps usually only dip into the upper or mid-20s, BUT every few years we will see rare, brief,  mid-to-upper teens temps (which pretty much constitutes as a ‘moderately severe’ or ‘hard’ freeze). So once every 3-4 winters it might drop down to 17-20 degrees F.
So, from the information I have gathered so far, I believe these species are hardy for my climate zone:
Annona rugulosa
Annona/rollinia sylvatica
Annona/rollinia emarginata
Annona ubatubensis
“Dream” annona
Annona parviflora
And PERHAPS select individuals from these species:
Annona montana
Annona hayesii
Annona hypoglauca
Annona crassiflora
Perhaps some other types of Cherimoyas and Atemoyas.
And perhaps some types of Duguetias.

I have found that most of these hardier annonas originate from Southern Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, and highland/ mountainous tropical/subtropical forests such as in Peru.

Any additional information would be GREAT! Thank you!
Also seed sources would be AWESOME!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: COLD HARDY ANNONAS
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 07:16:05 PM »
You can grow Pawpaw!

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 11:29:52 AM »
I am growing pawpaws, too! I have a few that were shipped from more temperate zones, and also scavenged a few local dwarf varieties from the woods. Their tap roots are NO JOKE

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 09:28:14 PM »
Good list!

Rugulosa and parviflora are also Rollinia species.

I would be very surprised if montana were to survive below the low 20's F.

There are many cold-hardy Annonaceae species in China, many having gorgeous flowers;  I have heard nothing about edibility on most of them.

Har

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 11:04:52 PM »
Thank you! Took some research to become familiar with them!

Definitely forgot at least one other though: Annona/rollinia salicifolia! Perhaps one of the larger-fruiting temperate(ish) species. Looks like a baby biriba! Can take it to -7 C. I’m curious if this species would be able to hybridize with a regular tropical biriba..? If that were possible, large cold hardy biriba-like fruits could be grown in most zones of Fl, as opposed to just south Fl.

As for mountain soursop, I read that a. Montana can get down to 24F, so I thought it might be reasonable to suspect that at least a small population or at least a single individual mountain soursop somewhere on earth  could take it a few degrees lower to 20F or so..
Very curious about those Asian annona species too! I think I read somewhere that at least a couple species are edible, or at least suspected to be edible.

Do you know how readily these cold hardy annonas and rollinias can hybridize (namely all the above-mentioned species)?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 11:18:24 AM »
Montana might hybridize with hypoglauca or with crassiflora.

I hybridized montana with coriacea, got just one tree, which won't fruit, with any kind of pollen that I have tried, so seems to be a mule.

Of course cherimoya and atemoya and Dream will readily hybridize with each other.

Some of the Rollinia species hybridize with each other in nature.

Rollinia deliciosa / Annona mucosa has polyploidy, so I don't know if anything else will work on it.

Anything can be tried.  Keep records.
Har

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 02:04:22 PM »
Wow, you seem very knowledgeable on the subject of annonas! Are you a researcher or something? Have you studied in South America?

Man that's a bit disappointing to go through all the effort just to grow a mule tree that doesn't fruit! I take that it flowers though?

That's also a good point about the polyploidy factor. I'll keep that in mind if or when I start trying to hybridize these species! Are most edible annonas di- or tri- ploids?

Also another question.. do any of the annonas readily root from cuttings?

And what are your thoughts on duguetias?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 02:08:16 PM by 850FL »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 06:28:33 PM »
I did interspecific breeding of Annonaceae for 1 1/2 decades.

Never had access to Duguetias then.

Don't remember chromosome numbers of species.

Muricata cuttings have been sold, in the 1990's.  Many other species have failed as cuttings.
Har

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 11:29:52 AM »
How about air layering?

Thanks Har!

Also if you have any seeds for sale I would definitely buy them (don't go out of your way for me though, if it's an inconvenience!).

Denis

• Russia Moscow city
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 10:53:38 AM »
How about air layering?

Thanks Har!

Also if you have any seeds for sale I would definitely buy them (don't go out of your way for me though, if it's an inconvenience!).

I have successfully rooted the scions of A. glabra, A. montana, and A. cherimoya.

Denis

• Russia Moscow city
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 11:03:04 AM »
Need expert annona advice!
There is very little information available in the US on this subject specifically.. some obscure and anecdotal evidence..
Basically I am looking for annonas that will survive comfortably in a lower 8b/northern 9a climate zone. Where minimum temps usually only dip into the upper or mid-20s, BUT every few years we will see rare, brief,  mid-to-upper teens temps (which pretty much constitutes as a ‘moderately severe’ or ‘hard’ freeze). So once every 3-4 winters it might drop down to 17-20 degrees F.
So, from the information I have gathered so far, I believe these species are hardy for my climate zone:
Annona rugulosa
Annona/rollinia sylvatica
Annona/rollinia emarginata
Annona ubatubensis
“Dream” annona
Annona parviflora
And PERHAPS select individuals from these species:
Annona montana
Annona hayesii
Annona hypoglauca
Annona crassiflora
Perhaps some other types of Cherimoyas and Atemoyas.
And perhaps some types of Duguetias.

I have found that most of these hardier annonas originate from Southern Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, and highland/ mountainous tropical/subtropical forests such as in Peru.

Any additional information would be GREAT! Thank you!
Also seed sources would be AWESOME!

I would be in your list have added Annona neolaurifolia. I tested a seedling of this annona at a temperature of -4 C. The seedling withstood this frost.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 01:25:00 PM »

I have successfully rooted the scions of A. glabra, A. montana, and A. cherimoya.

Great! What medium did you use, perlite? Approximate humidity & temperature?
Also, are they even root-hardy long term as rooted cuttings?

And yes I forgot to include A. neosalicifolia/salicifolia and A. neolaurifolia.
Another member here told me A. salicifolia often can take  -7 C frosts.. I'm guessing perhaps even a bit colder?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:32:14 PM by 850FL »