Author Topic: Best tasting mangos of 2018  (Read 47207 times)

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting mangos of 2018
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2018, 11:31:34 AM »
Chomped down my first Glenn and Pickering for 2018.   Let them get ripe to the color and touch.  Have to be careful the 3 dogs don't jump up to the table.  They get some too when all the folks are done.   Will be steady mangoes for several more weeks. 

Where can I get my hands on some Lemon Zest?  Another crowd favorite.
Dan

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »
I had my first ever peach cobblers from my tree. All I can say is that it is named correctly as it had the strongest peach flavor I’ve ever had in a mango.

I brought some juicy peaches (and others) to Illinois with me and the people I shared them with were blown away by how good it was.  Their farm xperience is mostly Tommy’s from the supermarket. But I agree the JP was fantastic.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2018, 05:17:10 PM »
I had my first ever peach cobblers from my tree. All I can say is that it is named correctly as it had the strongest peach flavor I’ve ever had in a mango.

I brought some juicy peaches (and others) to Illinois with me and the people I shared them with were blown away by how good it was.  Their farm xperience is mostly Tommy’s from the supermarket. But I agree the JP was fantastic.

Paul, that does not sound good...Peach Cobbler does not have a peach taste.  It is zingy citrus in flavor, most reminicent of candied tangerine (like the old fashioned tangerine Life Saver).
- Rob

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »

Paul, that does not sound good...Peach Cobbler does not have a peach taste.  It is zingy citrus in flavor, most reminicent of candied tangerine (like the old fashioned tangerine Life Saver).
I got my first peach Cobler from my tree yesterday it was superb! Almost like a candy very sweet and tangy at the end, just perfect and Bullie was right it tasted more to Tangerine than mango!
El verde es vida!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2018, 08:17:14 PM »

I got my first peach Cobler from my tree yesterday it was superb! Almost like a candy very sweet and tangy at the end, just perfect and Bullie was right it tasted more to Tangerine than mango!

👍👍👍
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2018, 09:17:10 PM »
So I arrived in Florida today. Was gifted a Coconut Cream said to be a day over ripe. It simply amazed.

And to think it no. 10 on my list...

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2018, 09:37:22 PM »
So - I got a gift in the mail from Orkine - a box of mango's he grew.  My boys and I had a chance to try 3 varieties so far. Carrie - Glenn and Choc-Anon and we have a few more left to ripen up (a Tommy Atkins and Mallika).

The Carries were a bit soft but thats because our friends at the Post Office didn't treat the box, shall we say, with care.  Excellent mango.  Next up was the Glenn - just fantastic, but then we tried the Choc-Anon.  OMG - the Choc-Anon are just amazing and simply the best I've ever had - topping the sugar cookie variety I had 2 summers ago.  One of them even had a bit of a butterscotch flavor/profile - and the smell is just heavenly. I cooked ribs for dinner tonight and after cutting the Choc-Anon's they overpowered the rib smell in the kitchen.  Just amazing.

Orkine - just can't say thank you enough for that package.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2018, 11:35:01 PM »
Dont blame the post office...Carrie should not be shipped unless maybe its picked rock hard green and sent via Fedex priority overnight delivery.

If you found the Choc Anon delicious, you will probably go bonkers over the Tomny Atkins.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2018, 11:38:44 PM »
Yah. You can bruise a carrie by simply farting near it. Definitely not a shipping mango.

Dont blame the post office...Carrie should not be shipped unless maybe its picked rock hard green and sent via Fedex priority overnight delivery.
Jeff  :-)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2018, 04:15:10 PM »
Any review on how were kathy (k3) this year?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2018, 06:09:48 PM »
Best were

Lemon Zest
Cac
Pineapple Pleasure
Zinc
Coconut Cream
Golden Queen
Dupuis Saigon
Ice Cream
Super Julie

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2018, 06:19:47 PM »
I ate the last couple Piña Coladas yesterday and they were fantastic. They had a Brix of 25%. They were picked a bit early and had some chalky taste to it but it was not objectionable. It’s a very small Mango but it’s so sweet you can really only eat about two before needing something salty.

I actually think I like CAC/COC more than Piña Colada but they are both top tier varieties in my book.

Simon

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2018, 08:49:29 PM »
My 5 top favorites this year were:
Coconut Cream
PPK
Ice Cream
NDM
Bailey's Marvel (love the classic taste) 

I have some Neelams on the tree, so soon I get to try that variety.

Ken Bee

• San Diego County
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2018, 08:52:54 PM »
Being in SoCal, I have tasted limited varieties of mango this year.  The ones I really enjoyed so far,

Rajapuri - can't get enough of them.  Of the 4 Indian mangoes I tried, Kesar, Badami, and Alphonso, this is by far the best.
Coconut Cream - first time trying a coconut-flavor mango.  It really blew me away.
Haden - can't beat that classic taste

I will have a chance to taste some newer varieties next week, e.g. LZ, M4, Beverly...etc.  Hope they will live up to the expectation.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2018, 09:28:34 PM »
Creme brule
Pina Colada
Sugarloaf
NDM @ Cookie was the sweetest, my lips got glued  ;D ;D

Rest were good but lacked brix
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:31:32 PM by behlgarden »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2018, 09:33:39 PM »
Being in SoCal, I have tasted limited varieties of mango this year.  The ones I really enjoyed so far,

Rajapuri - can't get enough of them.  Of the 4 Indian mangoes I tried, Kesar, Badami, and Alphonso, this is by far the best.
Coconut Cream - first time trying a coconut-flavor mango.  It really blew me away.

I will have a chance to taste some newer varieties next week, e.g. LZ, M4, Beverly...etc.  Hope they will live up to the expectation.
Wow, M4, did you get it to grow OR some humble gentleman helped? very keen to hear about it.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »

Wow, M4, did you get it to grow OR some humble gentleman helped? very keen to hear about it.

If its from a Cali tree...I wouldnt be keen on a fruit from a year and a half old tree.
- Rob

Ken Bee

• San Diego County
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2018, 12:34:54 AM »
The M4 is not mine.  Actually, I do not have any name variety in fruiting stage yet.  Only a supposedly 3-gal OS tree that looks more like 1-gal, some seedlings, and a couple unknown non-fruiting small trees.  I am new to growing mango trees.  That's why I am here to learn.  This helpful thread has given me some good ideas of what trees to get next. 

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
Creme brule
Pina Colada
Sugarloaf

Dude. You visit FL and didn’t let me know?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2018, 01:34:27 AM »
Creme brule
Pina Colada
Sugarloaf

I did not visit Florida, it was sent to me by one of my friend.  JF and I are planning to being in Florida next mango season.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2018, 06:59:58 AM »
Oh. Cool. Give us a heads up.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2018, 08:48:41 AM »

I did not visit Florida, it was sent to me by one of my friend.  JF and I are planning to being in Florida next mango season.

If you really want to screw around you fly out of
McCarran in Las Vegas. Park your car there or have someone drive you there
Buy mango trees etc in Florida. Legal to transport them by airplane to Las Vegas.

Then bring them home to California via automobile.

Just an idle thought or two...... me I obey all California fruit  and plant laws which is easy due to living in Florida :)

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2018, 08:51:30 AM »
More types to try so won’t know till then.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2018, 10:20:49 AM »

Buy mango trees etc in Florida. Legal to transport them by airplane to Las Vegas.

Just an idle thought or two...... me I obey all California fruit  and plant laws which is easy due to living in Florida :)

And when u get to the California checkpoint it gets confiscated??

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »

And when u get to the California checkpoint it gets confiscated??

- Rob