Author Topic: Is my Maha Chanok dead?  (Read 1632 times)

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Is my Maha Chanok dead?
« on: April 30, 2018, 12:39:49 PM »
I planted this tree last spring. It seemed to grow very well but toward the end of the summer it developed some scarring and damage around the trunk and some of the limbs. One limb completely died from the damage. I treated it with some 3 in 1 spray which stopped the spreading but it never quite did much after that. The cracked and scarred bark leaked a sap almost constantly and has since the damage occurred. It did not flower this year and also is not showing any new growth. Below the scarring there is a new branch developing almost like the tree is trying to grow below where it has died. If the tree will recover and be ok I don’t mind nursing it for a season but if it is damaged beyond repair or will be a headache to heal I will just rip it out of the ground and get another one to put in it’s place.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Is my Maha Chanok dead?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »
I would keep it for now. Yeah, it looks a bit unhealthy, but there are some things you can do. First, cut that new little flush off coming out down low. Pull all the grass around your tree's base and put a thick layer of mulch there instead, but don't let the mulch touch the trunk of the tree. Then give it some slow release fertilizer and a good watering. Maybe some foliar spray of micronutrients would help also. Just spray in the early morning or late evening to avoid burning the leaves. Don't let grass/weeds grow around the tree base like that. They will take all the nutrients from a young tree. Good luck!
E.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »
The tree gets watered every day and fertilized monthly with all the other trees. I had originally mulched around every tree and I found it to be too much work weeding. I actually would like the grass to eventually grow in around it. I “weed” around it and pull up all the non mango growth every couple weeks but it grows back awfully fast. It does get a lot of fertilizer and water just like the others but this is the only one that seems to be totally stalled growth wise. Would cutting off that new growth on the lower part of the tree potentially redirect the growth back farther up and possibly force it to repair itself? I just get the feeling the damage is so bad that it won’t be able to pull through.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 03:29:07 PM »
Yep, I would cut that new growth off because it will direct nutrients from the upper canopy. You want the upper part to grow stronger. I have read that Maha Chanok takes a lot of time to get established when young and will remain spindly and not very healthy looking. I believe it was Squam256 (Tropical Acres Farms) who mentioned this. I would give it a chance. Just take good horticultural care of it :)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »
Echoing the tip above about getting rid of that thick grass...for such a young tree that's an issue. If you're mulching properly you really shouldn't have that much an issue with weeding...at least not in the way you're describing.
always longing for a JA Julie

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 03:40:20 PM »
Keep doing what you're doing and it will look nice by end of summer. Getting rid of the weeds would help eliminate root competition.
Jeff  :-)

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »
Regarding mulching, one thing that help me is before putting down the mulch, pull all the weed/grass around the trunk so you see the bare soil. Then cut a big circle of landscape/weed blocker fabric, lay it down but cut a hole in the middle for the tree trunk. Once the fabric is down, then put your much on. The fabric will stop the weed. Some grass runner do get on the mulch eventually but because of the fabric, the grass runner do not have a chance to set deep root so I can pull the runner in one strand and discard them, making it easier to maintain the mulch under the tree.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 09:26:56 PM »
Ok I will cut the new growth off and fertilize and water and remove the grass/weeds and give it a chance.  Thanks all I will update with progress. It’s git 90 days to show me something positive

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk