Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211531 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado 24/7 Thread
« Reply #625 on: February 07, 2020, 09:51:20 AM »
That's awesome growth in 6 months. Please share the source of these rainmaker large pots you are using for avocados. Thanks

You think that's awesome.  How about this in 7 months! 

Reed froze back to a stump, heater failure, 18F.  March 6 2018

Oct. 28, 2018

Recail

• Struga 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 07, 2020, 07:06:08 PM »
Has anyone managed to grow avocados in zone 8a?

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 25, 2020, 12:56:22 AM »
What is considered an abnormally large leaf for avocado? I have an unknown seedling that is 1 metre in height and one of the leaves is 33cm (13 inches) long. There was previously shade cloth on the sun-side to block harsh summer sun, maybe this caused it?

I wish I knew whether the ancestry was Mexican or Guatemalan – the former having leaves that can be processed as a food additive or to brew tea. Guatemalan leaves are apparently toxic.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 25, 2020, 10:16:28 AM »
What is considered an abnormally large leaf for avocado? I have an unknown seedling that is 1 metre in height and one of the leaves is 33cm (13 inches) long. There was previously shade cloth on the sun-side to block harsh summer sun, maybe this caused it?

I wish I knew whether the ancestry was Mexican or Guatemalan – the former having leaves that can be processed as a food additive or to brew tea. Guatemalan leaves are apparently toxic.

Yep, I have some leaves that big.  Means you're doing a good job too!  Guatemalan hybrids and pure race (like Reed) will have juvenile leaves with plenty of red as opposed to Mex. and W. Indies which will push green.

mrdub

• ecuador
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 25, 2020, 10:39:36 AM »
Hello everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I did try searching and couldn't find anything so...

I have about 80 avocado trees grown from seed. Some of them are getting to about 2-3ft which I think means I can graft onto them. I was wondering what would people say is the best way to graft them, I've seen lots of different techniques on youtube, but unsure which is best for avocados? Also, do I need grafting tape or can I make do with other kinds of tape as there is no chance to get to the city to get any (or even if the shop will be open as we are still in lockdown here).

As for seed type, no idea, just market purchased. Similar response for which type I will graft on, was just going to take some cuttings from various trees that are growing out and about around the place

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: June 02, 2020, 03:15:32 AM »
To mrdub: I can only try to point you in the right direction. Perhaps you can do a search in this T.F.Forum and/or outside of it, by using the following key words:

Carlos
Avocado Doctor
Avocado Grafting

Carlos is The Avocado Doctor here in South Florida, and he has some very informative Avocado Grafting videos.

I hope this helps and Good Luck
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 02, 2020, 07:36:40 AM »
Carlos' youtube has two playlists dedicated to grafting avocado:
https://www.youtube.com/user/GraftingAvocados/playlists

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 25, 2020, 07:37:30 PM »
Jan Boyce avocado update

In April 2020, the tree had the first ever 2 fruits that were ready to pick off the tree. BTW, this is right in the middle of the S FL WAVS (South Florida Winter Avocado Void Season)!

I don’t know if this was a fluke, but I hope it happens again and I will be looking out for a repeat of this momentous event.

Anyway, these first 2 avocado fruits disappeared, and steps have been taken so that this unfortunate event does not happen again.

A few days later after the 2 ripe avocados went missing from the tree, the whole tree became flush with flowers. And, about a month later, the whole tree was fully flushed with small avocado fruits!

P.S.   These photos were taken less than 2 weeks ago.

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 25, 2020, 08:49:08 PM »
Jan Boyce in Florida?  How cool is that!
John

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 25, 2020, 10:19:48 PM »
Jan Boyce in Florida?  How cool is that!

Exactly, I have a lot of high hopes for this one, so far, so good.

I will follow up with further updates.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 27, 2020, 07:50:44 AM »
Very nice, keep us posted.  Was that a 2 leg thief or 4 legged ya think?

I just grafted JB on the branch of a GEM and Sharwil and stuck 2 sticks on a seedling.

We're having gusty south winds again and I had the facing wall vent completely open.  2 Reeds have blown off.  They are still delicious and big 1 pounders.  Should be awesome in a month or so.

JB on Sharwil.

Lamb Hass branch on Sharwil is loaded.   2018 grafted, 10' tall Sharwil set heavy but dropped most of them.  Probably have about 50.

Reed seed pushed a root radicle.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 27, 2020, 07:56:13 AM »
JB at Carlos' place.  Marble size seed!  https://www.myavocadotrees.com/jan-boyce-avocado.html

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 28, 2020, 03:43:10 PM »
Bacon avocado fruiting very well this year

figbert

• San Diego, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 06, 2020, 12:11:12 AM »

Reed seed pushed a root radicle.

This is my 1st year to harvest avocados - I've been picking one Reed avocado a week from my tree. They're great, but each one is pushing a radicle. Is that normal? should I start picking them sooner rather than later? I was planning to stretch them out for another two months, but having to eat them sooner wouldn't be the worst thing in the world ...

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 06, 2020, 12:57:59 AM »
The root is normal they all do it, just keep picking them slowly.
Brad Spaugh

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 17, 2020, 05:40:18 AM »
This questiop  is from a lady in Florida posted on an Australian fruit forum.

Someone once gave me a locally grown avocado in the winter (relatively a rarity here) that tasted very similar to those from my tree, which bears its fruit in the summer as most do. I was intrigued, so I planted the seed. Now I have a 3 foot tall avocado plant in a pot. I would love to graft it and have a tree that bears fruit in the winter.  edited.
Pagnr would like answer her, but would like to know what Avocados would fruit in winter in Florida so she could also track something down ?? Any advice on a few possibilities??

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 17, 2020, 10:43:25 AM »
Hi
The trick for getting all year round avocados is to get many as possible varieties. Good selections are Brooks late, Big Fusia,pico godreaux and Carla.For early season Gripiña, Don Ramon and Salvador . The problem is that if you aren't an avocado lover. Some avocados are high content oil and others are more watery . The "semil "race have early and late. Dominican Republic harvest it all year round.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 18, 2020, 07:35:13 AM »
Hi canito 17, thanks for the reply. Yes exactly,  I'm guessing the person likes pretty standard high oil avocado fruit and wants to match it for winter fruiting.
I am familiar with the lower oil watery types, from visiting Cairns in tropical Nth Queensland, they were common in gardens.

Connbush

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 20, 2020, 08:08:51 PM »
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on one last avocado tree that I can fit into my Orange County yard. Currently I have the following:
Fuerte
Pinkerton
Sir Prize
Carmen Hass (2)
Gem
Reed (2)
Nishikawa
Lamb Hass
Sharwil

I was going to pull the trigger on a Jan Boyce but just thought I'd ask all you experts out there what you would plant in my situation...My negative thoughts of the Jan Boyce are that they don't peel well. But I've also heard that they are remarkably tasty...

Thanks in advance

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 20, 2020, 09:54:43 PM »
How many mango trees do you have, Connbush?
John

Connbush

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: August 21, 2020, 04:19:25 AM »
No mango, my family and I aren’t mango people...

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 21, 2020, 10:06:52 AM »
No mango, my family and I aren’t mango people...
Ok.  You've got a great collection of avocados.  Do you have a half-acre lot?  Jan Boyce sounds like a good choice.
John

Connbush

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 21, 2020, 01:37:19 PM »
Surprisingly my lot isn't that big (6500 sq ft) but I plan on keeping them all pruned to 15 by 15 at the biggest, I'm also using most of them as a hedge to create privacy in both my front and back yards...

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 21, 2020, 02:31:30 PM »
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on one last avocado tree that I can fit into my Orange County yard. Currently I have the following:
Fuerte
Pinkerton
Sir Prize
Carmen Hass (2)
Gem
Reed (2)
Nishikawa
Lamb Hass
Sharwil

I was going to pull the trigger on a Jan Boyce but just thought I'd ask all you experts out there what you would plant in my situation...My negative thoughts of the Jan Boyce are that they don't peel well. But I've also heard that they are remarkably tasty...

Thanks in advance

Jan boyce, nabal, regular hass, ardith, hellen, mexicola grande....  Lots of choices
Brad Spaugh

WhitH

• Vero Beach, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 28, 2020, 01:43:33 PM »
Just purchased this from Publix. Does anyone know what variety it is?