Author Topic: Andaman islands Trip  (Read 1509 times)

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
Andaman islands Trip
« on: July 08, 2018, 07:49:18 PM »
I'm looking at going to the Andaman Nicobar islands in January, just wondered if anyone had been here and had any recommendations.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Re: Andaman islands Trip
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:47:11 PM »
There were two species of banana discovered on the Andaman Islands, both with seeds that readily germinate. One was sweet and sour and grew to 9m. The other was just very sweet with orange-coloured pulp on a stalk that grew to 11m! Obviously bunches are much bigger too.
https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/andamans-new-taste-is-sweet-and-sour/article20000504.ece
http://socialvani.com/new-species-banana-with-orange-pulp-found-in-andaman-islands/
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 02:45:19 AM »
Yes saw that, thinking of searching out fruit of mangifera andamanica too.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 04:27:10 PM »
Don't get eaten by the natives.

The Andaman islands hold interest from an anthropological perspective too. In extremely ancient times it is believed India and the entire Southeast Asian region was populated by a primitive people similar to the population still remaining today on the Andaman islands.

(Early Twentieth Century anthropologists classified them into their own race, Nigritos, the last remaining remnants of which today are rapidly dying out and may effectively become extinct)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:46:40 PM by SoCal2warm »

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:16:18 PM »
I spent 3 months camping, fishing & exploring the Andaman Islands when it first opened to tourism over 15 years ago. It was the greatest adventure of my life... total paradise, total hell at times too.  I am sure a lot has changed and I doubt they will let you camp everywhere like we did.

I didn't do any tropical fruit specific exploring but did find a few gems -- like a luscious pink-tinged pineapple that I couldn't eat in peace because a hungry village cow was utterly determined to eat it right out of my hands - and it followed me around the whole village, salivating and pestering me. I enjoyed visiting the more remote outer islands like North Andaman and Little Andaman. Some favorite spots were Ross Island near Port Blair, hiking the mountain / highest point on North Andaman, Ross and Smith Island and Diglipur town on North Andaman, the mud volcano on Baratang Island, and Whisper Wave waterfall in the jungle of Little Andaman. I think its worth chartering a boat  / fisherman to take you to visit the many beaches and reefs that are inaccesaable by road or public transport.

I would bring my snorkeling gear although I am sure its widely available there to rent now, I would always want to have it on me.

Caution: I was infected with a nasty tropical parasite called Schistosomiasis while wading in fresh water -- where rivers run into oceans / bays. I would personally avoid entering any fresh water or anywhere near snails as I can personally confirm this infection exists in the Andaman ecosystem and you don't want it.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 12:41:24 PM »
Wax Jambu are supposedly native to the Andamans but I don’t recall any in the winter. I do recall buying the tastiest bananas I’ve ever had in my life at some ramshackle farmer kiosk on Long Island. The flesh was so fluffy, sweet and creamy it reminded me of “Lemon Creme” wafer filling. A lot of Indian settlers moved there from Bengal or elsewhere on the Indian mainland and brought their favorite heirloom seed or two. A lot of people there live an extremely laid back tropical lifestyle where they cultivate betel nut palms. As one farmer explained to me they just chill  most of the year, pick up the fallen nuts and dry them during the short harvest season... and they make enough $ to make ends meet. I remember chewing betel nut for the first time when a local fisherman offered me some and it made dizzy and caught me off guard a little.stronger than tobacco.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »
Awesome info thankyou.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk