Author Topic: maprang sweet-maprang sour-mayongchid  (Read 10673 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
maprang sweet-maprang sour-mayongchid
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:17:59 AM »

Left:      Mayongchid
Middle:  Maprang-wan  (wan = sweet)
Right:    Maprang peeuw (peeuw=sour)  This one looks like a small egg so this might be the ma-prang kai (kai=egg)

I never had ma-prang before because in Bangkok they only sell mayongchid. Now i understand why because mayongchid is much bigger then maprang and also has a higher flesh/seed ratio.

Mayongchid tastes the best, sweet and fresh, more fresh than mango.
Maprang-wan is also sweet.
Maprang-peeuw (kai) is sour...sure not as sour as a lime but more for people who love sour fruit or can't eat much sugar.

I never knew ma-prangs are so small compared to mayongchid, but i learn new things here every day.

I have seeds from all of them if you are interested.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
Re: maprang sweet-maprang sour-mayongchid
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:47:14 AM »
Interesting. In the simplest terms, using the word maprang to describe bouea macrophylla would be incorrect, because maprang refers to the small. Is that correct or would the name be maprang mayongchid? Thanks :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:49:00 AM by Tropicaliste »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 03:44:57 PM »
They are all maprang and are examples from the 3 classes sweet,sour and mayon chid.Within each group there are big,small and rounder lines and the picture shows an example from each of the 3 groups but these are not the only ones.You can tell they are thai by the orange clean looking fruit rather than yellow or green like the indonesian and Malaysian forms.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 09:32:19 PM »
Well if any of you has pictures of maprangs, marian plum, gandaria then post them here so we can compare them.

This is what i found on a local market, i expected the ma-prang to be bigger but the real winner is the mayongchid.

And in mayongchid we have the "local" variety and the "royal farm" variety. I still have to find out what the difference between those is except size/price/sweetness.  They are very nice, i only wished they were as big as mango  ;D

In Bangkok they call maprang-wan the maa-wan...so if you ever see them you know how they are called.

Now i understand why it was so hard to find me a maprang-wan tree in Bangkok because mayongchid is a much bigger fruit with more flesh.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:59:14 PM »
My friend has Wan variety that are huge.If you do a search of past threads you will see some of the past pictures I have posted.There are references to giant Wan in thailand far larger than any mayon chid but I haven't seen these huge ones.I ate  Wan and mayon chid together in November and preferred the Wan but many like the extra tang in mayon chid.

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »
Interesting. Curious whether the maprang would give issues like the mango. I can't eat mango without dermatitis.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 10:49:34 PM »
My friend has Wan variety that are huge.If you do a search of past threads you will see some of the past pictures I have posted.There are references to giant Wan in thailand far larger than any mayon chid but I haven't seen these huge ones.I ate  Wan and mayon chid together in November and preferred the Wan but many like the extra tang in mayon chid.

I searched but can't find those pics Mike.
Also i 've never heard of the huge maprang wan in thailand but i guess it's possible. Those might be the parents from the mayongchid.

I wonder though why those big maprang wan's that you refer to are not in Bangkok. Maybe those are called the "local" mayongchid? It wouldn't surprise me because that's what people here ask for.

Mayongchid tastes better then mango in my opinion but i prefer mango because of it's much thicker flesh. Mayongchid is eaten with the peel and that's more convenient.

Tropicaliste i have no idea about dermatitis and maprang, maybe another member can answer that.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 11:17:58 PM »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 11:37:33 PM »
I have posted large maprangs a number of times.
http://postimg.cc/image/ruxvbyrc1/full/
http://postimg.cc/image/reqv88ep3/full/

I believe you mike but i can't find them.

But how we can tell the difference between an big maprang wan and a mayongchid?

Do the big maprang wan also have a big seed with thin flesh?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 11:52:40 PM »
Interesting. Curious whether the maprang would give issues like the mango. I can't eat mango without dermatitis.

I don't know but would guess not. The maprangs don't have as much sap when you pick them, like mango.
BTW, don't think that mangoes cause dermatitis. They cause an allergic reaction. I think that is different than dermatitis.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 12:05:37 AM »
The maprangs are worse than mango for the sap to cause a contact dermatitis and blistering that is uncomfortable and visible.I have reacted to mango sap a few times but maprang sap caused me big problems when I trimmed my old tree and even when I have picked fruit and had sap on me.
BK Wan and mayon chid look the same and only differ in acid levels with Wan being sweet even before going orange.There are big fruited and rounder lines of both and you have to eat them to know which they are.Bigger fruit seem to have a proportionally higher flesh yield.A small fruited mayon chid in a park near me has only thin flesh.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 12:28:00 AM »
The maprangs are worse than mango for the sap to cause a contact dermatitis and blistering that is uncomfortable and visible.I have reacted to mango sap a few times but maprang sap caused me big problems when I trimmed my old tree and even when I have picked fruit and had sap on me.
BK Wan and mayon chid look the same and only differ in acid levels with Wan being sweet even before going orange.There are big fruited and rounder lines of both and you have to eat them to know which they are.Bigger fruit seem to have a proportionally higher flesh yield.A small fruited mayon chid in a park near me has only thin flesh.

I see, so there are also small mayongchids. I'm learning more every day  :D

In Bangkok all the big mayongchids (or lookalikes) are called mayongchid. The small ones are the maprangs and are much cheaper.

It is hard to find the very sweet ones because the farmers all try to get the highest price and send them as soon as possible to Bangkok. One of these days the price will drop when the markets overflow with them. For mango's (ndm-gold) that allready has started now.

Strange thing is that my supplier from Nakhon Nayok said that many farmers had no mayongchids at all this season. I don't know if that's true but i see loads of them at the moment.  But for the small maprangs you have to go to the local markets in poor neighbourhoods. There they make big fun about me because i speak thai to them  ;D Guess they have never seen that before.
My supplyer grows his mayongchids from grafted tree's which he got from the Royal farms.

After peeling some kg of mayongchids my fingers got yellow and i couldn't get it off easy. I never had that from peeling many mango's.

Foodland supermarket also sells maprang/mayongchid but just calls them marian plum. I wonder which one that is, i guess not mayongchid but they are big.

Today i will ask my professor neighbour about the difference, let's see what he says.

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 01:06:46 AM »
bkk, were you able to find the photos? I've seen them, Mike had some big dino egg wan maprang.

Oscar, I'm not sure how it works, but the sap from mango, concentrated near the stem makes my lips break out. I have this problem with eggplant near the seeds as well.

Mike, that's a red flag for me. I will probably put maprang way low on my list. I love the taste of mango but unless it's dried dehydrated, I worry I will break out. I envision worse on maprang. 

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 01:16:19 AM »
Well my neighbour told me you can get maprang-wan as big as mayongchid if you fertilize them well and pick half of the crop off the tree.

He also had seen papaya from 50 kg when fertilized well and only let 1 left to grow.

He said he can't see the difference between maprang-wan (a big one) and mayongchid, only the seed is smaller so it has more flesh (for mayonchid) , but they look the same. He is over 70 years old and a retired professor.

Mike did your big maprang-wan get fertilized extra or had half of the crop removed from the tree? If not then yours might be something special i guess. Did you also see those big wan-ones in Thailand?

Yes i saw the pics he posted today, with the maprang-wan in his hand but those pics are so huge that it's not easy to compare the size to the mayongchids i posted.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 02:43:38 AM »
bkk, were you able to find the photos? I've seen them, Mike had some big dino egg wan maprang.

Oscar, I'm not sure how it works, but the sap from mango, concentrated near the stem makes my lips break out. I have this problem with eggplant near the seeds as well.

Mike, that's a red flag for me. I will probably put maprang way low on my list. I love the taste of mango but unless it's dried dehydrated, I worry I will break out. I envision worse on maprang.

OK contact dermatitis. I thought you were talking about bodily reaction after eating them, and that is caused by allergic reaction to urushiol in the mango.
I never noticed much sap coming out of maprangs i picked, but wasn't paying much attention to it either.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 02:53:06 AM »
All "varieties " of Bouea mavrophylla, or Maprang, are in the Anacardiaceae family, and is related to poison ivy so it would be no surprise that if one has skin/allergic reactions to mangoes that thay would probably have similar issues with maprang.

- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 05:05:13 AM »
The fruit and skin seem less likely to cause a reaction than mangoes and the skin is even edible a few days after picking.The sap in the fruit stalk and especially in the green twigs is a different story however.
I am under the impression that flesh yield and seed size is the same for the different varieties and it is mostly related to fruit size.Smaller fruit have proportionally less flesh.In parts of the north east of Thailand you see big trees on the roadside with odd shaped fruits that are not clearly one of the main varieties.The indonesian types being offered by some of our chums on this forum are very different from the commercial thai varieties.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 05:10:08 AM »
Oh yeah Marian plum (rarely used name) and maprang/mapraang are the names of the whole species not varieties.It is thus maprang Wan, maprang mayon chid and jn the trinominal system of thai fruit, a third name may be used regarding place where it comes from or a descriptive word.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 05:55:42 AM »
All "varieties " of Bouea mavrophylla, or Maprang, are in the Anacardiaceae family, and is related to poison ivy so it would be no surprise that if one has skin/allergic reactions to mangoes that thay would probably have similar issues with maprang.

Anacardiaceae family includes a lot of plants. Does anyone that has reaction to mango have a reaction to ambarella, jocote, or other spondias, which are also in same family? Anyone break out when eating cashew nuts or cashew apples? Also in same family.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 06:24:32 AM »
Oh yeah Marian plum (rarely used name) and maprang/mapraang are the names of the whole species not varieties.It is thus maprang Wan, maprang mayon chid and jn the trinominal system of thai fruit, a third name may be used regarding place where it comes from or a descriptive word.

Well then the trees in the NE of Thailand might be another maprang variety. I have no idea, i just write here what they tell me.

I do know that mayongchid is an improved maprang, the Royal farm made that variety and all thai go crazy for it. The Doi Kham Royal farms gave the grafted tree's for free to thai farmers so they could sell bigger fruit with smaller seeds. That's what several thai told me.

I have maprang-wan and a mayongchid tree growing together in a big pot and will see when i get fruit and how big. I also tried to graft them onto mango again, last try because all other attempts failed.

My neighbour named maprang mayongchid nakhon nayok, maprang mayongchid amplawa so that refers to their main growing area's. They are grown in nakhon nayok because of the good soil there he said but in bangkok they can also grow/fruit if they get the right soil.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 08:50:40 AM »
Bangkok...my mother-in-laws trees were just loaded this year.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 08:59:27 AM »
Bangkok...my mother-in-laws trees were just loaded this year.

Oh i see, that's in the NE right? What is she growing? Maprang-wan or mayongchid?

Would like to see a pic of them but i guess that's not possible.

I doubt if there are any tree's without mayongchid this year, maybe that farmer just try's to make me pay more. I allready pay him well (more then the markets here ask) but i get his biggest ones and also i like it because i know where they came from.

My own small mayongchid really makes flowers now, i have it since a few months and it's about 4 feet or 120cm tall. But it is late with blooming, this week i added a lot of the organic fertilizer with high P. I guess my lamut-yak (cambodia giant sapodilla) also started blooming from that. That tree is same size but the stem is so thin that it will break when it has fruit. ;D

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »
She grows both and has been sending me tons of pics of both to drive me nuts.  Not sure which are in the pics...probably mayong chid.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 10:56:04 AM »
She grows both and has been sending me tons of pics of both to drive me nuts.  Not sure which are in the pics...probably mayong chid.

Yes they are good sized. If those are maprangs then they must be the big maprangs Mike T has seen.

I hear about extreme drought in the NE every day but even her grass looks fine.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »
Sorry...they live in Bangkok.