Author Topic: Growing Jackfruit in Los Angeles  (Read 5354 times)

TheGrowingHome

• Diamond Bar
    • View Profile
    • TheGrowingHome.net
Growing Jackfruit in Los Angeles
« on: April 12, 2015, 04:47:37 PM »
I grew a Jackfruit Tree from a seed found at the market. Has anyone done this?
I would like to plant it in the ground, but want to know what kind of soil, and water requirements does it have? Will it fruit in LA? Do I need to worry about invasive root system? Can I plant it close to my patio cover?

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Jackfruit in Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 12:25:14 AM »
There is some stuff on the forum if you do a search, but since I've already researched it, I will sum it up for you.  It might grow, but will probably freeze to death.  If it does fruit, the fruit will probably not get ripe, as the climate is not warm enough.  However there are fruiting trees in Orange Country, but not many, and I don't think it is know if the fruit ripens.  I wouldn't worry about an invasive root system, if it lives that long, that will be good problem.  For soil, the LA dirt will do, water should be about the same as most fruit trees, more in the summer, less in the winter.   Since it's a random seed found at the market, It might not even be a jackfruit!  You can buy slightly more cold resistant varieties, or maybe you will get lucky, and your seed with turn into the first tasty so cal jackfruit.

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 02:26:31 AM »
Hey TGH, if you want to try growing a jackfruit seedling my advice would be to get it to a decent size say 2 feet or so while acclimating it to the sun as the small tree grows. After doing so you could plant it in a nice microclimate zone in your yard. Here in L.A and O.C they need to have some size before you can give it full sun...even then you will most likely get some leaf burn on very hot, sunny days. I have a 'Blackgold'  thats grafted and about 5 feet tall or so and it still gets a bit of burn on the rare ultra-hot days. As far as the cold goes, try to find the best/warmest part of your yard and as Goosteen mentioned they require the usual fruit tree care as far as watering, fertilizing goes. I have never had any cold issues with my tree but I have noticed that the tree is sensitive to fertilizer burn (could just be my problem). If you're adamant about planting the young seedling in the yard be prepared to provide shade cloth during the warmer months and frost cloth on a few occasions in the winter for the foreseeable future. I have grown a few different 'varieties' of jackfruit seeds from markets near me...the one I had with orange color and 'crunchy' texture was the most cold sensitive one i have grown. I believe forum member JF had a large tree with fruit if I recall? Best of luck, Chris

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:40:04 AM »
Here in L.A and O.C they need to have some size before you can give it full sun...even then you will most likely get some leaf burn on very hot, sunny days. I have a 'Blackgold'  thats grafted and about 5 feet tall or so and it still gets a bit of burn on the rare ultra-hot days.

This is what happened to my 4ft just planted in ground jackfruit tree earlier this year, it wittered and died back after only 1 day under a very hot day... Very good advice/warning Chris, wish I knew ...
Sam

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
They are not easy and they must be protected when they're young in the winter. Otherwise they grow and fruit well in Orange County. As far as LA county they fruit in east los angeles. Nullzy has a pic of one in the south bay. I have tabouey x j30 seedling from Jacob that's been in the ground 3 yrs doesn't need protection but it grows very slow. I'll give it one more year if I see no progress im yanking it. I recommend  black gold I've seen them fruit well all over OC
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:56:35 PM by JF »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 05:37:54 PM »
Black Gold is known to be a type that is more cold resistant. I've sent seeds of Black Gold to Israel and have been told there are several trees from these seeds fruiting there now. I should have seeds available in a couple of months.
Oscar

SamiC

• Bel Air, CA 10b Elevation 1285ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
I bought a golden nugget, hoping to get it to fruit in Los Angeles.
Always looking for Mango budwood!!

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 09:49:52 PM »
My mother planted a small seedling under a 10ft Royal Poinciana, about 7ft away, 8 years ago. I think the wide "flat roof" of the Poinciana has protected Jack in both hot sun and cold winter. This year Jack has two fruits for the first time and it is reaching to the top of the Poinciana. Next year I think strong jack will break through the top of the forest and growing fast with plenty of photons to bath. He is in 92704 Santa Ana. Even in the tropic the broad leaf young jack needs protection under other tall tree from the sun. I had tried in Burbank 91501 but they all died from the cold.

Sapote

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 10:35:27 PM »
This was took 3 months ago. Too bad it didn't cover the Poinciana.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk