Author Topic: Water droplets on my banana seedling leaves!?!?  (Read 1003 times)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
Water droplets on my banana seedling leaves!?!?
« on: September 23, 2019, 06:05:43 PM »
I recently received a 4-pack of Ice Cream Banana plants from Hello Organics/amazon. They were in tiny little soil plugs (I think they're grown from tissue culture), so I put them in medium pots to get them established on my window sill. They seem to have taken well to the transplanting over the last week. My 4-pack was actually a 5-pack because one of the little plugs actually had two plants, and both appear to be viable:

Here's the odd thing. Every morning when I come out to the kitchen to make my coffee, I see little droplets of water on the ends of the leaves:

It's not dew, because these plants are indoors, and my indoor humidity is quite low.

Can I assume that this is a good sign, that they're actively taking up water?
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
Re: Water droplets on my banana seedling leaves!?!?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 06:25:45 PM »
Its called guttation

"Guttation is the exudation of drops of xylem sap on the tips or edges of leaves of some vascular plants, such as grasses, and a number of fungi. Guttation is not to be confused with dew, which condenses from the atmosphere onto the plant surface." -Wikipedia

more:

https://study.com/academy/lesson/guttation-definition-mechanism.html
Zone Pusher

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »
Awesome info! Thanks!

I think I can then conclude that, if I have guttatation in the mornings, I don't need to water them yet.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 08:55:10 PM »
Be careful and let the bright sun beam focused by one of those droplet -- the focused beam can start a fire. They look like corn plants.

We almost had our home burned by a makeup mirror left on the dining table in the afternoon. We were about to get out of town for the weekend, and on the last walk around check to make sure all windows closed, around 5 or 6pm a summer day, I saw something like smoke rising near the window curtain. I rubbed my eyes just to be sure. Saw a bright spot on the rattan chair where the smoke was rising. The sun beam went through the glass window and focused by the makeup mirror and reflected onto the rattan chair, burning it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk