Author Topic: This is a disgusting mango question but I seriously need help  (Read 4172 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
I need to pull a bunch of my 1 year old mango trees and replace them with Orange Sherbert and Cotton Candy trees. Which of these varieties would be the least desirable to keep.
Fruit Punch, Venus, Phoenix, Rosigold, Nam Doc, Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, Juicy Peach, PPK, Orange Essence, spirit of 76, Dearf Hawaiian.
Maybe make me a list of the ones I should pull first?
Please only respond if you have eaten most of the varieties I listed.
Thanks

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: This is a disgusting mango question but I seriously need help
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 03:57:29 AM »
Why not just top work them with the new varieties 🤔🤔🤔

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 08:36:16 AM »
Are you a commercial operation?  Why are you betting the bank on those two varieties?
John

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 11:03:13 AM »
I'd probably pull spirit of 76 and Rosigold... at least that's what I did at my place :D
Jeff  :-)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
Rosigold is early but the flavor ain't there.  It's like kissing your sister.  NDM is a typical "one note" asian mango.  Sweet but unappealing with no personality or actual traditional mango flavor, but some people rave about it for reasons beyond me.  But if the trees have any size to them just get the bud wood of your choice from somebody in the forum & top work them.  Faster than buying new SMALL trees.  Not hard to learn how - there are tons of videos on you tube and elsewhere.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 11:53:37 AM »
The PPK is a real spitter & highly over rated mango which I will be glad to take off your hands..........Just kidding PPK is a definite keeper.  Other than Rosigold & NDM I would keep the rest.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
Lemon Zest is seriously susceptible to bacterial rot, or whatever it's called. I'm guessing this problem will spread to your area at some point. Perhaps an effective treatment for this will be found? Hard to speculate. At the moment it doesn't look like I'll get more than a couple of edible fruits from my tree. (It should be noted that I sprayed no copper or fungicides on any of my trees this year.)

NDM is kind of boring, as previously noted. And it splits.  Rosigold tastes best if it ripens in July rather than March.

I have been unable to keep Venus alive. Your mileage may vary. 

My Spirit of '76 had a large crop of excellent mangos last year. This year it is again loaded with beautiful fruit. I don't know yet how they will ripen. I am hoping that it is more disease-resistant than, for example, Kent.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 01:14:21 PM »
You must be a ways inland. While I've seen MBBS on LZ, it's generally an isolated fruit here and there, which has been an issue on a number of other trees in my orchard.

If one is unwilling to spray fungicide (and especially those living inland or in a rural setting, where humidity is higher), then only a handful of cultivars will produce well in those circumstances.

PS: You guys need to try eating your NDMs slightly under-ripe -- before they fully develop the yellow coloration. Definitely not boring when eaten in this state. Splitting is an issue with the NDM #4 clone, which unfortunately is the one being sold by most nurseries today -- probably because the previously popular clone took a long time to begin bearing. #4 also can refuse to grow sometimes.

Lemon Zest is seriously susceptible to bacterial rot, or whatever it's called. I'm guessing this problem will spread to your area at some point. Perhaps an effective treatment for this will be found? Hard to speculate. At the moment it doesn't look like I'll get more than a couple of edible fruits from my tree. (It should be noted that I sprayed no copper or fungicides on any of my trees this year.)

NDM is kind of boring, as previously noted. And it splits.  Rosigold tastes best if it ripens in July rather than March.

I have been unable to keep Venus alive. Your mileage may vary. 

My Spirit of '76 had a large crop of excellent mangos last year. This year it is again loaded with beautiful fruit. I don't know yet how they will ripen. I am hoping that it is more disease-resistant than, for example, Kent.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 01:41:06 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. I am very much hoping that one way or another LZ will be available from my favorite purveyors.
My non-spray program was due to a lack of motivation. My diabetes got a lot worse, and these days I have to limit myself to about a tablespoon of mango per day.  :(
If I have more energy next year I'll get back on board.

I'm about 3 1/2 miles inland, backing up to a canal.
Some of my other cultivars look fine (so far). Too early to know how they will ripen.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
What spacing are you using? I would try to squeeze some in so you dont have to remove anything. You'll have more varieties so in case you run into problems with one/some you'll be covered. The new big thing in India and Africa is high density mango plantations. Check out some videos on YouTube. Some of them use 6 foot spacing between trees and yield is expontially increased. Dont remove a variety altogether or else someday I think you'll regret it.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 03:01:25 PM »
Bummer. 3.5 miles inland is pretty close to shore. I'm a full 10+ miles inland -- although I'm in a very urban setting which means less foliage and therefore less humidity (via evapotranspiration). Surprised you're having issues.

Thanks, Jeff. I am very much hoping that one way or another LZ will be available from my favorite purveyors.
My non-spray program was due to a lack of motivation. My diabetes got a lot worse, and these days I have to limit myself to about a tablespoon of mango per day.  :(
If I have more energy next year I'll get back on board.

I'm about 3 1/2 miles inland, backing up to a canal.
Some of my other cultivars look fine (so far). Too early to know how they will ripen.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 06:37:09 PM »
Nam Doc mai is highly desirable for the green mango trade. That variety is prized by Asian people and easily identified by them.
Selling green mangoes at full but unripe size lets you avoid most issues related to loss or flavor. I am aware of a sale of 2000 lbs of green NDM earlier this month. So, if you can make the right connection there is a market.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 06:49:50 PM »
Nam Doc mai is highly desirable for the green mango trade. That variety is prized by Asian people and easily identified by them.
Selling green mangoes at full but unripe size lets you avoid most issues related to loss or flavor. I am aware of a sale of 2000 lbs of green NDM earlier this month. So, if you can make the right connection there is a market.

I enjoy them ripe.  Others who don't just leave more for me...

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 09:36:16 PM »
We have an Asian (Vietnamese?) lady that will come each year and ask to buy the entire crop of NDMs.

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 11:58:48 PM »
Jeff,
You wrote:  "If one is unwilling to spray fungicide (and especially those living inland or in a rural setting, where humidity is higher), then only a handful of cultivars will produce well in those circumstances."

Which are the varieties that will produce in these circumstances, and can you tell me which are more top tier.  My trees are in the Brazilian rainforest and I have been struggling to keep fruit on my trees.
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 01:19:44 AM »
We have an Asian (Vietnamese?) lady that will come each year and ask to buy the entire crop of NDMs.
There's a lot of NDM grown here by Vietnamese farmers. It's shipped down south the the big cities but mainly for Vietnamese customers for use as cooking mangos. They need to be mass produced as they get the lowest price and need volume to be profitable.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 09:39:02 AM »
Rosigold and Spirit of '76.
Har

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »

Don't get rid of your NDM, there is a really good reason to keep it. You can stop most splitting by making sure that it is watered regularly so it's not getting too dry between rains and by giving it a little gypsum every month or two during fruiting. The best reason to keep NDM is for neighbors. Most people that are not mango savvy love the candy sweet flavor of NDM, especially people that are usually turned off by the more piney or complex mango flavors. NDM is a prolific mango and great for giving to neighbors who want some mangoes when your top tier varieties are not yet producing a lot of fruit.

Dee
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 04:52:22 PM »

She's probably selling them in a local Asian market.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango