Author Topic: My Zill adventure Tuesday  (Read 9421 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
My Zill adventure Tuesday
« on: July 05, 2018, 05:09:19 AM »
Went to Zill’s on Tuesday July 3rd for some trees. Was lucky enough to get Orange Sherbets and Cotton Candy’s even though they were only 18-24 inches tall. The adventure was started when I opened the office door. Inside covering the entire floor were 7 gallon plastic pots filled up with gorgeous Harvest Moons, fruit Punch, coconut Cream, Carrie, Fruit Cocktail, Pineapple Pleasure, and more! And what made it so special for me was 2 things. I have planted over 200 mango trees over the last 2 years and all of my choices came from the TFF’s comments and yet so many of the varieties I haven’t yet even tasted. And here was my opportunity to taste so many. So I took my time picking and choosing each variety and each fruit in each bucket. What made this visit soooo special was that all the while Gary Zill was in this part of the office watching the World Cup and during the big break on TV he spent about 20 minutes with me. The highlight of which was him presenting to me the E-4  which has been named Sugarloaf. And he told me about it and picked it up and cut me a slice. My taste buds exploded and it was a seriously special mango moment. I’m not exaggerating like an ignorant little kid, I’m a 69 year old retired medical professional with 11 grandkids and I’m not being emotional. Sugarloaf stays green. It has no color changes. I think the only way to know when it’s ready is by touch. It tasted like the inside of a mango pie that was made with real cream and sugar and was just as pure a taste as possible. And the texture was that smooth too.
Yesterday was the 4th and we had a total of 6 adults at the BBQ. I cut up in paper bowls for a mini mango taste fest, harvest moon, pineapple Pleasure, Sugarloaf, coconut Cream, fruit Punch, Haden, emerald, maybe 2 others.
My daughter and her husband chose Coconut cream as their favorite and the other 4 went ape over Sugarloaf. Mr Zill said he was going to start propagating it even though it has that solid green skin from beginning to end. Yes Sugarloaf will knock your socks off. What a great visit to Zill’s and my 20 minutes with Mr Zill and our talks about all areas of the world of mangoes from mango disease to soccer will always be a special memory for me   He is such a nice guy!!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 08:52:15 AM by weiss613 »

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
Re: My Zill adventure Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 05:59:40 AM »
I had a sugarloaf yesterday and it was amazing. I got confused when I couldn’t find the name on the forum and thought maybe  the name was buttercream. But you just confirmed it was called sugarloaf. Green outside really soft when cut open the flesh was a pale yellow, I thought I had cut too early but it was still extremely sweet and delicious. I also had sweet tart for the first time and didn’t enjoy it maybe I need to wait for it to ripen more the resinous? taste was way too strong. I’ll give it another shot but the tree I planted without tasting fruit my get replaced with sugarloaf or something else.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 07:18:28 AM »
Went to Zill’s on Tuesday July 3rd for some trees. Was lucky enough to get Orange Sherbets and Cotton Candy’s even though they were only 18-24 inches tall. The adventure was started when I opened the office door. Inside covering the entire floor were 7 gallon plastic pots filled up with gorgeous Harvest Moons, fruit Punch, coconut Cream, Carrie, Fruit Cocktail, Pineapple Punch, and more! And what made it so special for me was 2 things. I have planted over 200 mango trees over the last 2 years and all of my choices came from the TFF’s comments and yet so many of the varieties I haven’t yet even tasted. And here was my opportunity to taste so many. So I took my time picking and choosing each variety and each fruit in each bucket. What made this visit soooo special was that all the while Gary Zill was in this part of the office watching the World Cup and during the big break on TV he spent about 20 minutes with me. The highlight of which was him presenting to me the E-4  which has been named Sugarloaf. And he told me about it and picked it up and cut me a slice. My taste buds exploded and it was a seriously special mango moment. I’m not exaggerating like an ignorant little kid, I’m a 69 year old retired medical professional with 11 grandkids and I’m not being emotional. Sugarloaf stays green. It has no color changes. I think the only way to know when it’s ready is by touch. It tasted like the inside of a mango pie that was made with real cream and sugar and was just as pure a taste as possible. And the texture was that smooth too.
Yesterday was the 4th and we had a total of 6 adults at the BBQ. I cut up in paper bowls for a mini mango taste fest, harvest moon, pineapple Pleasure, Sugarloaf, coconut Cream, fruit Punch, Haden, emerald, maybe 2 others.
My daughter and her husband chose Coconut cream as their favorite and the other 4 went ape over Sugarloaf. Mr Zill said he was going to start propagating it even though it has that solid green skin from beginning to end. Yes Sugarloaf will knock your socks off. What a great visit to Zill’s and my 20 minutes with Mr Zill and our talks about all areas of the world of mangoes from mango disease to soccer will always be a special memory for me   He is such a nice guy!!!

Pineapple Punch?  Fruit Cocktail?  Please ensure the accuracy of the names before postinv.  It will avoid confusion, the spreading of inaccurate names and incessant telephone calls to a wholesale nursery that they do not want to field.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:29:53 AM »
Good to hear you and your family enjoyed these mangos so much.  E-4, now Sugarloaf, is an amazing mango.  Currently #9 on my list, just beating coconut cream.  Glad to hear it will be released.  If I get my hands on Yi Xuan this summer, my top 10 might be in for a shakeup...

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 09:01:09 AM »
I corrected the Pineapple Punch to Pineapple Pleasure. I have my phone set to spell check and it corrects itself. BS Bullie you are the member that influenced my mango planting choices the most by far and again thank you. And as one of the posters on this page said, in the future if he doesn’t care for a variety that he planted after tasting it he can always replant it with another variety. I sort of look at my collection as a living breathing work in progress/work of art and I crave the work and neurotic attention I give it as much as I love the fruit itself. I feel that as healthy as I keep my trees, that’s how healthy I’ll stay!

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »
One more thing about the Sugarloaf mango.
I think that I have perceived of another quality of Sugarloaf that is rare and that is this....mango tasting is so damn dependent on where it is in its ripening cycle that from one day to the next you could go crazy over it or say it’s nothing special or even dislike it. I think that Sugarloaf may stand out above the rest also because the window of ripening pleasure could be huge. And this is sooooo important because it stays green with the only ripening clue being touch. This quality will more than compensate for not giving clues to ripeness.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 10:10:28 AM »
The resin is what a lot of us like. But, for me, it was an acquired taste. Initially, I interpreted it as turpentine. But after a while, I began to interpret it as cola syrup flavor. The resin flavor will dampen a bit as it matures though.

I had a sugarloaf yesterday and it was amazing. I got confused when I couldn’t find the name on the forum and thought maybe  the name was buttercream. But you just confirmed it was called sugarloaf. Green outside really soft when cut open the flesh was a pale yellow, I thought I had cut too early but it was still extremely sweet and delicious. I also had sweet tart for the first time and didn’t enjoy it maybe I need to wait for it to ripen more the resinous? taste was way too strong. I’ll give it another shot but the tree I planted without tasting fruit my get replaced with sugarloaf or something else.
Jeff  :-)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 02:52:26 PM »
The resin is what a lot of us like. But, for me, it was an acquired taste. Initially, I interpreted it as turpentine. But after a while, I began to interpret it as cola syrup flavor. The resin flavor will dampen a bit as it matures though.

Out of the 3 resinous flavors I can currently distinguish the "cola" flavor you describe is my favorite, seems like the hybrids have it.
Zinc (and the like), Maha, Mekong, Simmonds (a bit), Florigon
I suppose Cac and Buxton Spice must be some type of India, SE Asian mix somewhere down the line.

The other two being the Julie, Angie, Kesar type.
People may describe it as "piney".

And the Bombay type which I can't really describe.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 03:04:17 PM »
Now you have to deal with Sugarloaf as both a pineapple and a mango.

I love my Sugarloaf(p) I would like very much to try a Sugarloaf(m)   :)

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 03:45:36 PM »
An E-4 that is soft to the touch and ready to eat -

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 03:49:23 PM »
I'm gonna have to stop reading these mango posts..........that, or make the 14-hour trip to SF to scarf some.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 05:45:21 PM »
Thanks for this information.  A mango that's "easy" is a great thing, especially when sharing with friends and relatives.

I think that I have perceived of another quality of Sugarloaf that is rare and that is this....mango tasting is so damn dependent on where it is in its ripening cycle that from one day to the next you could go crazy over it or say it’s nothing special or even dislike it. I think that Sugarloaf may stand out above the rest also because the window of ripening pleasure could be huge. And this is sooooo important because it stays green with the only ripening clue being touch. This quality will more than compensate for not giving clues to ripeness.

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 09:17:40 PM »
I'm gonna have to stop reading these mango posts..........that, or make the 14-hour trip to SF to scarf some.
Make a trip..
https://www.fairchildgarden.org/Events-Community-Outreach/Events-Details/the-mango-and-tropical-fruit-festival

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 09:24:41 PM »
Make a trip..
https://www.fairchildgarden.org/Events-Community-Outreach/Events-Details/the-mango-and-tropical-fruit-festival

The Fairchild festival is truly no longer worth making the trip for.  You are much better off visiting local growers and farms and sampling fresh picked/ripened local grown fruit at one's liesure and enjoyment .
- Rob

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 09:47:53 PM »

The Fairchild festival is truly no longer worth making the trip for.  You are much better off visiting local growers and farms and sampling fresh picked/ripened local grown fruit at one's liesure and enjoyment .
[/quote]

You can buy quite a few bags of different tasty mangoes for that Fairchild entrance fee

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 10:02:38 PM »

This sounds like the elusive "front yard by the sidewalk mango. Hiding in plain sight from the two-legged mango thieves...

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 07:49:10 AM »

This sounds like the elusive "front yard by the sidewalk mango. Hiding in plain sight from the two-legged mango thieves...

Sad to say some are persistent.
Pick a 1/3rd of my Cac/Coc crop when it was green.
Seems like green and small is the only option left

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »

Pineapple Punch?  Fruit Cocktail?  Please ensure the accuracy of the names before postinv.  It will avoid confusion, the spreading of inaccurate names and incessant telephone calls to a wholesale nursery that they do not want to field.

Fruit Cocktail I've seen in this post and 2 FB posts in the last 2 days.  It seems to be 28-18 from zill.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=668363893519495&set=gm.1805569832870210&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1815254115206643&set=gm.1805421252885068&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Quentin

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »
28-18 definitely has a fruit cocktail juice taste . Has a hint of “Capri Sun” or some other juice box drink you had as a kid.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 12:33:20 PM »
I had 28-18 written down as a Jakarta seedling.  Interesting description of flavor.
Warren

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »
I would like to know whether Sugarloaf is monoembryonic or polyembryonic.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 08:26:42 PM »
How does Sugarloaf hold up to anthracnose and what is its fruiting season?  (Mid-season?)
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 08:46:34 PM »

Poly from what I recall.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 10:20:38 PM »

Poly from what I recall.

Correct.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 05:13:56 PM »
Went to Zill’s on Tuesday July 3rd for some trees. Was lucky enough to get Orange Sherbets and Cotton Candy’s even though they were only 18-24 inches tall. The adventure was started when I opened the office door. Inside covering the entire floor were 7 gallon plastic pots filled up with gorgeous Harvest Moons, fruit Punch, coconut Cream, Carrie, Fruit Cocktail, Pineapple Pleasure, and more! And what made it so special for me was 2 things. I have planted over 200 mango trees over the last 2 years and all of my choices came from the TFF’s comments and yet so many of the varieties I haven’t yet even tasted. And here was my opportunity to taste so many. So I took my time picking and choosing each variety and each fruit in each bucket. What made this visit soooo special was that all the while Gary Zill was in this part of the office watching the World Cup and during the big break on TV he spent about 20 minutes with me. The highlight of which was him presenting to me the E-4  which has been named Sugarloaf. And he told me about it and picked it up and cut me a slice. My taste buds exploded and it was a seriously special mango moment. I’m not exaggerating like an ignorant little kid, I’m a 69 year old retired medical professional with 11 grandkids and I’m not being emotional. Sugarloaf stays green. It has no color changes. I think the only way to know when it’s ready is by touch. It tasted like the inside of a mango pie that was made with real cream and sugar and was just as pure a taste as possible. And the texture was that smooth too.
About halfway through reading your post I realized that I was There at the same time and can recall you showing MR Zill a picture of what you said was the most beautiful Haden mango you had ever seen in your tree. (You'll probably remember me asking him if he like to fish.) I have enjoyed speaking to him on several occasions albeit briefly as I don't want to tie him up in idle conversation, Im a big fan of his work. To Me it was like getting to meet Jimmy buffet in key west. He cut up an E-4  and said that he named it sugarloaf after someone said it reminded them of the pineapple in taste. Ive never had the pineapple but the Mango was absolutely delicious!!! I'm a big fan of the cocoanut flavor group. This is the one I think Alex had nicknamed Mounds, cocoanut cream being my personal favorite but the sugarloaf could be a contender.  Still waiting to try an M-4.  As for the fruit cocktail Gary stated that they were putting the fruit out there for people to try and possibly propagate later down the road if it is well liked. I found it to be an excellent mango that truly reminded me of the flavor of one of those little fruit cocktail cups especially the flavor of the pair chunks that had been soaked with all the sweetness and flavor of the other fruits in the cup. Minimal to no fiber, seemed like a pleasant texture and I would rate it hire than the fruit punch. Just my opinion, Im not an expert but I do obsess over mangos!!! lol  The pineapple pleasure was not as good as it has been in years past but it was still good. Keep in mind that you would not need to replant in order to update your collection. I was able to become proficient at cleft grafting and have begun to topwork some of the trees in my small grove/collection to the new varieties.  That would cut your time from grafting/ planting to production considerably and with 200 trees you are in with both feet and would no doubt enjoy the personal satisfaction of being able to work magic on your trees.

On A side note I agree with Rob they really don't have time to field phone call questions to the general public. That's what the forum is for.