Poll

Neelum and Jakarta...

Often taste the more or less same but the season is different.
0 (0%)
Taste different and Neelam is often better than Jakarta.
1 (33.3%)
Taste different and Jakarta is often better than Neelam.
1 (33.3%)
Taste similar and Neelam is often better than Jakarta.
0 (0%)
Taste similar and Jakarta is often better than Neelam.
1 (33.3%)
Other (please explain)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: August 01, 2018, 11:12:42 PM

Author Topic: Poll on mango comparison: Neelam & Jakarta  (Read 1425 times)

Levar

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
Poll on mango comparison: Neelam & Jakarta
« on: July 29, 2018, 11:12:42 PM »
I've only had Jakarta and Neelam from this year so my frame of reference is limited. What do you think?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Poll on mango comparison: Neelam & Jakarta
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 11:21:36 PM »

Neelam is more productive. Jakarta is the better fruit.

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »
Which has more resistance toward anthracnose?  I've heard Neelam has some resistance, but please correct me if I am wrong.
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »
Which has more resistance toward anthracnose?  I've heard Neelam has some resistance, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, maybe but quality of Neelam fruit tends to suck.  There are better Infian varieties to grow and better Jakarta offspring to grow.  This "poll" and comparison are like comparing apples to coffee beans..
- Rob

Levar

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »

Yeah, maybe but quality of Neelam fruit tends to suck.  There are better Infian varieties to grow and better Jakarta offspring to grow.  This "poll" and comparison are like comparing apples to coffee beans..

Lmao I guess the coffee beans are Jakarta? Which Indian varieties do you prefer or recommend over Jakarta? I really like how intense it is but I did notice some ripening issues in the fruits I got and from what I'm reading, its productivity is trash. So yeah, what are some superior varieties with a similar flavor profile?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 01:04:30 PM »

Lmao I guess the coffee beans are Jakarta? Which Indian varieties do you prefer or recommend over Jakarta? I really like how intense it is but I did notice some ripening issues in the fruits I got and from what I'm reading, its productivity is trash. So yeah, what are some superior varieties with a similar flavor profile?

Jakarta is not a true Indian variety.  It was a chance seedling from Boynton Beach that may have Bombay in its parentage.

If you want a more productive tree with that flavor profile of Jakarta, I would recommend O-15 or Sunrise.

If you want a recommendation for Indian varieties,  I would go with Kesar ir Son Pari (for that resin type of profile) and Mallika (for pure outstanding flavor without the resin).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:43:20 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob