Author Topic: Maui Gold Pineapple  (Read 3118 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Maui Gold Pineapple
« on: July 31, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »
Here is a Photo of one of my Maui Gold Pineapples ripe off the plant 4.5lbs

Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Maui Gold Pineapple
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 03:26:27 PM »
Thanks for posting. It's hard to find good information about pineapples on the web. Places like florida hills and wellsprings gardens have reports of mis identified plants and I'm not sure if that's already corrected.

I still don't know if Dole and some other brands are MD-1, MD-2, or their own varieties. They're "extra fancy sweet" pineapples. I grow them anyway to compare when they fruit.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 03:36:42 PM »
Jimmy, let us know how it tastes. I picked up a new variety of pineapple from Trader Joe's that I've never seen before but it looks a lot like the Hawaiian Golds I've seen. The bracts stick out like the Hawaiian Gold and it tasted really good with a Brix of 18.5 and had very low acidity similar to the Kauai White Sugarloaf. Here is a picture of the fruit.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 03:38:38 PM »
I forgot to mention it was labeled as Hawaiian Tropical Gold.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »
Thanks for posting. It's hard to find good information about pineapples on the web. Places like florida hills and wellsprings gardens have reports of mis identified plants and I'm not sure if that's already corrected.

I still don't know if Dole and some other brands are MD-1, MD-2, or their own varieties. They're "extra fancy sweet" pineapples. I grow them anyway to compare when they fruit.

Hi Maui Gold Is MD-1 and Del Monte Gold is MD-2 Pineapple and i believe Dole is Smooth Cayenne

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 03:51:49 PM »
I forgot to mention it was labeled as Hawaiian Tropical Gold.

Simon

the only  Hawaiian Tropical Gold Pineapple i know of off hand is from Dole

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 04:15:24 PM »
Thanks for the IDs Jimmy.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 12:38:16 PM »
Brix reading was 10 taste wasn't all the great didn't really have much of a taste not very sweet

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 12:59:32 PM »
Do you think it could be over or under ripe? Or this the right time but it just didn't turn out that good?

I had the same feeling about the store bought Maui Gold vs other brands. It was weird that my fruit was pointy yet yellow. It's as if they picked the whole batch early and then ripened them.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 02:07:10 PM »
Do you think it could be over or under ripe? Or this the right time but it just didn't turn out that good?

I had the same feeling about the store bought Maui Gold vs other brands. It was weird that my fruit was pointy yet yellow. It's as if they picked the whole batch early and then ripened them.

it was ripe it had a good smell too i would guess eating them white sugarloaf pineapples has ruined other pineapples for me when it come's
to taste they are my #1 goto pineapple from now on. 2nd is queen pineapple i like best

the thing is when they pick pineapples that are still green they are already ripe... and wont get any riper after its been picked
alot of people like to let them turn fully golden mostly home growers that is but you take a chance of losing it to critters cause
of the smell and also rotting can happen

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 06:01:28 PM »
Thanks for the report, my Maui Gold was horrible tasting and not sweet as well. The Hawaiian Tropical Gold on the other hand was fantastic!

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 06:44:50 PM »
The top of my Maui Gold from store rotted. So I guess I'm not going to confirm this with my own fruit. Good reference thread for the future.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 06:49:40 PM »
Thanks for the report, my Maui Gold was horrible tasting and not sweet as well. The Hawaiian Tropical Gold on the other hand was fantastic!

Simon

Do you know if that Hawaiian Tropical Gold Pineapple was a Dole Pineapple can you find out when ya get a chance maybe the
store still has some left

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 07:11:49 PM »
The Hawaiian Tropical Gold was next to Dole Pineapples but I forget what the tags company name was. There were only a few of these pineapples and I happened to grab one without the tag but I did see the tag on the other pineapple of this same variety and all I recall is the Hawaiian Tropical Gold. Next time I go back to Trader Joe's, I'll take a picture of the tag.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk