Author Topic: Sprouting mango seed in ziploc bags with wet paper towel  (Read 3372 times)

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
Sprouting mango seed in ziploc bags with wet paper towel
« on: April 21, 2019, 08:44:07 PM »
I have been collecting mango seeds for the last couple weeks and I have been wrapping each one in wet paper towel then seal it inside a ziploc bag.

Every couple of days the paper gets dark and very often rot starts to build and as soon as I notice it, I wash the seed and wrap it in a new paper. It seems that so far the main root is still pushing in some of them.

I was wondering if any of you is familiar with sanitizing the seeds, maybe bleaching? Should sanitizing chemicals have a negative effect on the sprouting process? If that's possible, it could probably save me some time replacing the paper.

I cannot use soil at this point and I can't plant the seed in the ground.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:28:24 PM by ammoun »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Sprouting mango seed in ziploc bags with wet paper towel
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 09:43:27 PM »
Are you or did you remove the husk before you place in the damp paper towel?

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 09:59:58 PM »
Are you or did you remove the husk before you place in the damp paper towel?

Sorry, forgot to mention that but yeah I remove the husk and I try to get rid of the brown sticking layer of as much as possible.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 11:07:27 PM »
Make a concentrated chammomille tea and wash rhe seeds in it ,then wet the towel paper with chamomille tea and put the seeds in the bag as usual.Chamomille tea is a bio antifungic ( kills mold) and its verry efficient .Otther option would be to sprinkle cinnamon powder on the seeds and towel after you wash the seeds,or to soak in copper solution( bordeaux type).From all of these treatments,the chamomille tea its the best.

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 11:56:16 PM »
Make a concentrated chammomille tea and wash rhe seeds in it ,then wet the towel paper with chamomille tea and put the seeds in the bag as usual.Chamomille tea is a bio antifungic ( kills mold) and its verry efficient .Otther option would be to sprinkle cinnamon powder on the seeds and towel after you wash the seeds,or to soak in copper solution( bordeaux type).From all of these treatments,the chamomille tea its the best.

Thank you, do you recommend any specific item from here please: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=chamomile&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 12:42:00 AM »
You have to use chamomille flowers to make the tea,not chamomille essential oil.Chamomille its tthe most common tea you can find at any grocery store or supermaket.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 07:51:37 AM »
Is it possible to get a bunch of seeds a day before you leave?
Also you may consider leaving a couple of seeds in their husk to delay germination
if you cannot acquire them on the last day.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 09:06:44 AM »
We hope that you have a seed import permit for wherever you are bringing them into, and that they will be properly inspected.

Having the husk removed greatly facilitates inspection--- first by you, and then by the official.

In Florida, for instance, we don't need any of the seed borers that haven't gotten here yet.
Har

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
We hope that you have a seed import permit for wherever you are bringing them into, and that they will be properly inspected.

Having the husk removed greatly facilitates inspection--- first by you, and then by the official.

In Florida, for instance, we don't need any of the seed borers that haven't gotten here yet.

Well we’ve already imported every other plant, pest, snake, reptile and fish that are harmful and invasive on the planet.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 05:20:03 PM »
The suggestion to leave them in the husk to delay germination is probably best.  If you are bringing these in under a small lots of seed permit, most inspectors will destroy any seed that is sprouting (sprouted seeds are "plants", not seeds, require Phyto docs, & cannot come in under that permit).

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 09:17:06 PM »
I have been collecting mango seeds for the last couple weeks and I have been wrapping each one in wet paper towel then seal it inside a ziploc bag.

Every couple of days the paper gets dark and very often rot starts to build and as soon as I notice it, I wash the seed and wrap it in a new paper. It seems that so far the main root is still pushing in some of them.

I was wondering if any of you is familiar with sanitizing the seeds, maybe bleaching? Should sanitizing chemicals have a negative effect on the sprouting process? If that's possible, it could probably save me some time replacing the paper.

I cannot use soil at this point and I can't plant the seed in the ground. The whole point is that I'm traveling overseas and I wanted to take with me some seeds but the only way I could think of to save the seeds until then was to try and sprout them, unless you know of a better way to preserve the seeds for a couple weeks.

Thank you!

I found if you make paper towel too wet, it will cause mold, if you make it wet and squeeze out by hand lose moisture, then wrap, put in garage, it will not get mold and will sprout much faster.

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »

I cannot use soil at this point and I can't plant the seed in the ground. The whole point is that I'm traveling overseas and I wanted to take with me some seeds but the only way I could think of to save the seeds until then was to try and sprout them, unless you know of a better way to preserve the seeds for a couple weeks.

Thank you!

I found if you make paper towel too wet, it will cause mold, if you make it wet and squeeze out by hand lose moisture, then wrap, put in garage, it will not get mold and will sprout much faster.

I will try that, I was just afraid it could be too dry, but you're right there is almost water dripping after I moisten the towel piece.

Check this out: http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=TH9320347

I would rather not use chemicals but if it's just to kill fungus, I wouldn't mind especially since it's not in the edible part.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 09:10:07 PM »

The ziplock bags obviously don’t allow for proper air flow(I even had to change out the paper towels for the ones in the ziplock so they wouldn’t mold over.. big difference to the soup container-

Sergio

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 10:03:27 PM »

The ziplock bags obviously don’t allow for proper air flow(I even had to change out the paper towels for the ones in the ziplock so they wouldn’t mold over.. big difference to the soup container-

Those mango seeds in the first picture look polyembrionic( seedlings but an exact copy of the mother plant just like a grafted tree).If you have more seeds in one shell theyre polyembrionic.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 08:13:20 AM »

Those mango seeds in the first picture look polyembrionic( seedlings but an exact copy of the mother plant just like a grafted tree).If you have more seeds in one shell theyre polyembrionic.

They are! They’re “Rosa” Mango seedlings which are poly
Sergio

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 05:38:43 PM »
I'm trying with emerging the whole seed in water and I keep questioning myself every day if I should switch back to the paper towel method, anyone with some water sprouting experience?

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 06:30:40 PM »
I'm trying with emerging the whole seed in water and I keep questioning myself every day if I should switch back to the paper towel method, anyone with some water sprouting experience?

Lack of oxygen will lead to death fast.

mango.mike

• USA, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 11:00:39 PM »
-
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:17:45 PM by mango.mike »

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 09:12:56 AM »

I’ve had much better luck with the paper towel than with water and I did it in a DWC setup with lots of oxygen..
Sergio