Author Topic: Chayote (Sechium edule)  (Read 4790 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Chayote (Sechium edule)
« on: April 01, 2017, 05:30:32 PM »
Copied from old forum:

LivingParadise

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

Chayote
« on: February 18, 2016, 09:49:19 PM »

I'm trying tons of new vegetables, and hope to start many threads about them in time. But one I'm very excited about is Chayote. Never heard of it, found some in a store and looked it up. Apparently it should be easy to grow and fruit prolifically, and the leaves, fruit, seed, and even root are all edible! I looked up various recipes to try it, but in the end I'm glad I just tried it raw, because it was delicious! Very crunchy, similar to jicama or a sweet cucumber.

Weirdly, you can only grow it by planting an entire fruit/squash in the ground. So I had to go back to the store and get more after I'd tasted it so I would have some to plant.

It has many health benefits, and I'm excited to try growing it!

Anyone else already growing chayote?

Report to moderator   104.0.20.39

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from the sea

Global Moderator
        View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Chayote
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 06:39:31 AM »

Mine grew fine for a while, but was eaten to the ground and died. I have not had a lot of luck with the fruit from the supermarket here, but the ones I got from the farmers markets in homestead grew. Iguanas love the leaves, deer love the whole thing (not a problem for you). They do get HUGE though so plant accordingly.
Report to moderator   Logged
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LivingParadise

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:34:44 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on the iguanas. I do not have the Key Deer issue, for which I'm grateful. I planted 4 of them. I saw them somewhere online as needing to be planted with the squash only partially in the ground, so that's how I did it. Is that also how you planted them? Do they need a lot of water or attention to get started? Do you recall how long it took to get some leaves?

Thanks -
Report to moderator   104.0.20.39
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from the sea

Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 06:01:06 AM »

I planted them with a little bit of the top sticking up, mine had sprouted before I bought it so I don't know how long till it will sprout. I just watered mine with the other plants a few times a week and it did fine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M8781

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »

Has anyone had any luck growing the white chayote? Usually sold at expensive organic farmers markets.
And mine is kept in semi dry conditions but some of the vines (roots) still rot? What gives?
It's grown in fabric pots 50/50 coarse perlite and generic "organic" aged compost (cow patty I guess) and watered very sparingly.
Its typhoon season now so I've covered the entire trellis area with greenhouse poly to keep the water away from the roots.
Everything went south a week later.
I did cover it up before the rains started and watered even less like every other week instead of weekly?!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LivingParadise

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 10:26:47 PM »

My chayote experiment did not work out. Only 1 plant even started to sprout, and before it had even finished putting out its first leaf, it suddenly died. I will have to try again. I probably should have tried planting in the rainy season, so it could get wet without municipal water. Not sure if that was the problem though, since I am otherwise unfamiliar with the plant and its fruit...

Pages: [1]

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Re: Chayote (Sechium edule)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
I have both the white one and the green one. They are good as stir fries, but i find the white one has a much finer flavour. You must plant  the fruit at the beginning of spring, once the temp. reaches the 70 s so that the vine establishes buy the beginning of summer.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 09:50:33 PM »
Thank you Chandramohan! It is hot all the time here, rarely below 70F - does it need to be planted in rainy season or dry season? My issue here is always water (and poor soil)...

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:33:30 AM »
I am in Spring, Texas at the moment, and I would plant it now. It does not need too much water, too much water and the vine will rot. I recently saw two other types, one with hairy proturbances, looks like a giant Rambutan and another with very dark green color. A friend of mine had got it from Northeast India.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:48:16 AM »
Thanks Chandramohan - I will check out my local grocery and see if they still sell them!

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 03:42:03 AM »
Any luck with the chayote? I have a few growing but the leaves have start to brown and crumble :( hope they will survive

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 10:32:33 AM »
Here we call the fresh new growth "dragon whisker vegetable" and is by far my all time favorite green!  Fried dishes with new growth are AMAZING!  not a huge fan of the fruit personally, but many are.  i tried growing it in canada last year and it got about 2 feet before it got cold enough to shut everything down.  but in the heat its borderline weedy, thankfully it only has 1 seed per fruit.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 06:08:22 PM »
Yeah I too am growing it only for the baby shoots. I like to sauté it with lots of garlic and a little soy bean paste and soy sauce. It's very tender yet crunchy. Here in Hawaii our weather is nice and warm, but the older leaves on my vine are browning and wilting for some reason. They have little specks of what looks like mold almost. Not sure why :(

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 06:00:14 AM »
its probably because the leaves are getting wet.  maybe something like most of the family, think zucchini, pumpkin etc they get serious fungal attacks when the leaves are wet.  the older leaves here get the same, and just assumed it may be this.

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
Chayote is rich in potassium ion and has been shown to have diuretic properties when consumed as fresh juice.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 09:06:44 AM »
Chayote is rich in potassium ion and has been shown to have diuretic properties when consumed as fresh juice.
Hello my friend! I love them on my fruit/vegetable juices in the morning. They are good boiled like potatos and in soups. I love them!  :P

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 02:41:02 AM »
I did not know they are a diuretic when eaten raw. Good to know!