Author Topic: Malaysia Adventure  (Read 4717 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Malaysia Adventure
« on: July 05, 2018, 08:24:17 AM »
I've been in Penang (off mainland Malaysia) for a week, first time.  Enjoyed durian, lychee, red and yellow rambutan, snake fruit, mango, mangosteen, cempadek and cempajack.  Don't have much time to blog or upload lots of pictures but will drop a few things here. 

Arrived in Kuching (Makaysia, Sarawak, Borneo) today.  Went to the MJC night market and...terap, cempadek, huge mango that actually tastes quite good and is fiberless...huge soursop, engkala plus an offseason surprise...durian.  I was advised it wouldn't be in season in Kuching. 

Never had terap before so will try it in the morning.  It smells.  Not as strong as durian but definitely had to put it outside.

I'll drop some more notes when I have a minute.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 08:33:51 AM by Future »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Malaysia Adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:34:21 AM »
I've been in Penang (off mainland Malaysia) for a week, first time.  Enjoyed durian, lychee, red and yellow rambutan, snake fruit, mango, mangosteen, cempadek and cempajack.  Don't have much time to blog or upload lots of pictures but will drop a few things here. 

Arrived in Kuching (Makaysia, Sarawak, Borneo) today.  Went to the MJC night market and...terap, cempadek, huge mango that actually tastes quite good and is fiberless...huge soursop, engkala plus an offseason surprise...durian.  I was advised it wouldn't be in season in Kuching. 

Never had terap before so will try it in the morning.  It smells (not good). Not as strong as durian but definitely had to put it outside.

I'll drop some more notes when I have a minute.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »
Nice, I got to do this one day

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »
Try going to kubah ria weekend market in kuching.it opens in the weekend and you can find some jungle produce too there.happy fruit hunting from me a from bau, sarawak

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »
Thanks.

Ate terap for breakfast. Taste like marshmallow to me. My daughter said she tasted onion. Ate both as web article says they deteriorate quickly after opening. Outside smell is penetrating. Inside taste is nothing like it. Odd combo.  You can see the jackfruit structure in there...without the latex.

Today we revisited MJC. Got Dabai, last of the durian (two. half of each was spoiled but for $4...). Some mango. I didn’t but it but asked them to weigh the “mango king”.  Over 5lb each.

It is wonderful to drive around and see rambutan, jackfruit, longan and mango as regular yard trees.

Tomorrow we hit Pasar Satok (Kunah Rita) weekend market.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:47:19 AM by Future »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 10:20:09 PM »
Breakfast: durian, dabai, Longon, soursop, snake fruit, engkala and a 4lb mango.  Mango is nam doc Mai shape but doesn't taste like nam doc to me.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »
Well mangoes are planted frequently in backyard garden but most don't do well in our climate where the rainfall is about 4000mm a year and without dry a season.mangoes seem to do better in the west coast of peninsular especially near the Thai border.even the taste of mangoes planted here are inferior to the ones from the regions mentioned before

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »
Breakfast: durian, dabai, Longon, soursop, snake fruit, engkala and a 4lb mango.  Mango is nam doc Mai shape but doesn't taste like nam doc to me.
Btw try searching for the fijian longan which I is available now although not in great quantity.also be on the lookout for the regular longan which is adapted to tropical areas like ping pong,pepper and diamond longan

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 01:58:27 AM »
Thanks.

Ate terap for breakfast. Taste like marshmallow to me. My daughter said she tasted onion. Ate both as web article says they deteriorate quickly after opening. Outside smell is penetrating. Inside taste is nothing like it. Odd combo.  You can see the jackfruit structure in there...without the latex.

Today we revisited MJC. Got Dabai, last of the durian (two. half of each was spoiled but for $4...). Some mango. I didn’t but it but asked them to weigh the “mango king”.  Over 5lb each.

It is wonderful to drive around and see rambutan, jackfruit, longan and mango as regular yard trees.

Tomorrow we hit Pasar Satok (Kunah Rita) weekend market.

Good terap/marang is rare in Kuching. Sounds like you are not impressed. Better stains as you start going up Borneo coast and in Philippines.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 07:12:08 AM »
Well mangoes are planted frequently in backyard garden but most don't do well in our climate where the rainfall is about 4000mm a year and without dry a season.mangoes seem to do better in the west coast of peninsular especially near the Thai border.even the taste of mangoes planted here are inferior to the ones from the regions mentioned before

Makes sense.  I was wondering how to reconcile so many mango trees yet some fruit sold is imported from Taiwan. I also noted the price of lycii is nearly double that of Penang and deduced they are imported.  Today I found rollinia at Kubah ria.  Also Kuini.  No ripe cempadek, only hard ones.  More terap but I didn't get anymore.

I did think the teraps I ate were ok.  Smaller that I thought the fruit woukd be.  And the skins smell..the scientific name hints but doesn't give a olfactory direction...

Will look out for Fiji longan.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 08:22:08 AM »
Lychees in Penang were brought in from Thailand using land route whereas in sarawak it's imported from Thailand and China using airlines,hence the higher price.besides most imported stuff cost more here in Borneo.Btw lychee can grow into beautiful tree in sarawak but will never set fruit or flower as we lack the cold weather that forces the plant to flower

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 04:46:48 AM »
Noted.

Got another terap today, much better shape. Bigger bulbs.

Saw beautiful rose apples, huge jackfruit among other things.

More banana varieties than you have ever seen.

One cempadak bought at mjc failed to ripen. Seems it was sold, green for cooking. Lost in translation.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 07:31:39 AM »
You should cook the unripe cempedak .gulai cempedak is yummy.dont throw it away

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 12:55:26 AM »
Too late...

Good news: found durian at 10 mile wet market this morning.  On the return from semengoh nature reserve...we did see one orangutan...durian were good. 

Serian wet market tommorow.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 10:06:12 PM »
Well speaking of durian.i saw some at bau market.also couple of trees in my neighborhood are fruiting including a grafted monthong durian.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 08:11:45 AM »
Durianwriter just published her durian guide to Penang. Check out at yearofthedurian.com
If you’re in Penang you should be swimming in durian to hear her tell it.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 11:12:23 AM »
We left Penang last week and yes it was loaded. In Kuching it is out of season.  Serian market was interesting. A pickup outside the market loaded with durian seemed to indicate jackpot. Huge bags filed with rambutan too. Alas, these were leaving the market for other points of sale. Most in he market by volume was unripe durian, sold for cooking. Likely from Indonesia. The few ripe we bought about half. And they were excellent. Premium priced but worth it. Bought several more on the drive back, also some of the best I’ve had.

In Singapore airport now. Mpire 717 opened a second shop 3 days ago. Now in terminal 2 and 3. Has golden Phoenix which was...amazing. Seeet durian. At $25 Singapore dollars..it better be. This variety has malformed seeds and is nearly alll flesh  a winner.  Shop loaded with durian cakes, pastries etc.

Also, respect to VeganBurg restaurant downtime. Finally a vegan durian ice cream...

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »
We left Penang last week and yes it was loaded. In Kuching it is out of season.  Serian market was interesting. A pickup outside the market loaded with durian seemed to indicate jackpot. Huge bags filed with rambutan too. Alas, these were leaving the market for other points of sale. Most in he market by volume was unripe durian, sold for cooking. Likely from Indonesia. The few ripe we bought about half. And they were excellent. Premium priced but worth it. Bought several more on the drive back, also some of the best I’ve had.

In Singapore airport now. Mpire 717 opened a second shop 3 days ago. Now in terminal 2 and 3. Has golden Phoenix which was...amazing. Seeet durian. At $25 Singapore dollars..it better be. This variety has malformed seeds and is nearly alll flesh  a winner.  Shop loaded with durian cakes, pastries etc.

Also, respect to VeganBurg restaurant downtime. Finally a vegan durian ice cream...

DROOOOOOOLLLLLL. wow that would be otherworldly for me. Thanks for the dreams LOL

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 04:41:27 PM »
Arrived in Frankfurt and no durian for sale (kidding, none expected). I did leave Malaysia without trying the much hyped Musan King. Prices here get exponential for hyped varieties. You could pay 50 cents for a kampung (neighborhood, unnamed) durian and $80 for, say, a MK. For sure, most of what I ate tasted very good to excellent. As long as it was ripe and fresh. While there is for sure durian range in taste - sweet to bitter -  and flavours - caramel, vanilla, almond, alcohol, toffee, chocolate - the total range is, so far, fairly tight. (Texture also varies from mushy mess to dough to waxy) Mangoes, for example, have a much wider range. That said, close attention will reveal differences. Differences worth 20X the price I haven’t seen.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 06:23:44 PM »
Wow Future, sounds like you had a great adventure! Hopefully you brought the seeds home for yourself.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 03:13:54 AM »
Hey Future,

If you’ve never had the Musang King, I would highly recommend it. It’s the best tasting Durian I’ve ever eaten. They sell for $10 a pound here in the USA but they are frozen although the quality is exceptional. The MK Durian is sweet with a very slight bitterness that is very tasty. I have not purchased a Mornthong after eating the Musang King a few years ago.

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 10:20:48 AM »
Wow Future, sounds like you had a great adventure! Hopefully you brought the seeds home for yourself.

Indeed. Terap/Marang, red cempajack, various durian, Rollinia...

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 01:48:22 PM »
Hey Future,

If you’ve never had the Musang King, I would highly recommend it. It’s the best tasting Durian I’ve ever eaten. They sell for $10 a pound here in the USA but they are frozen although the quality is exceptional. The MK Durian is sweet with a very slight bitterness that is very tasty. I have not purchased a Mornthong after eating the Musang King a few years ago.

Simon
As a Malaysian I have never eaten musang King and all the other named cultivars.you can always find good quality unnamed varieties if you know where to look or which tree that produces tasty fruits.besides a large unnamed variety can cost you only about 4 USD per fruit  or less at my hometown

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 02:35:27 PM »
Hey Future,

Simon
As a Malaysian I have never eaten musang King and all the other named cultivars.you can always find good quality unnamed varieties if you know where to look or which tree that produces tasty fruits.besides a large unnamed variety can cost you only about 4 USD per fruit  or less at my hometown
Call me naive, but I was gonna say that the prices Future mentioned in Malaysia sound outrageous. I would hope fruit would be CHEAPER where it’s grown versus importing to the other side of the world. Perhaps durian’s fame (and a shrinking world) is to blame.
Simon - glad to know it’s possible to get affordable durian there. Not that I’ll probably ever have the pleasure of visiting (though one of durianwriter’s tours is on my bucket list)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »
I’ve had frozen and fresh and it doesn’t compare. Also, overseas clients will be detached from the local hype hence that may also lower prices.  That people profit selling fruit at 50 cents tells you that larger prices is all about the rage. A MK doesn’t cost any more to grow. Fake black thorn and MK are in as some sellers try to profit from unknowing buyers.