Author Topic: Where to buy Nam Doc Mai and R2E2 mango trees in Oahu?  (Read 4562 times)

Makaha

• Oahu, HI
    • View Profile
Where to buy Nam Doc Mai and R2E2 mango trees in Oahu?
« on: March 25, 2017, 12:01:19 AM »
Aloha everyone,
I'm new in the forum and would like to ask if anyone knows where I can buy young Nam Doc Mai and R2E2 mango trees in Oahu?
Mahalo in advance!
Makaha

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy Nam Doc Mai and R2E2 mango trees in Oahu?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:35:25 AM »
Try ask frankies nursery in waimanalo or check out Makaha mangoes

Makaha

• Oahu, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:48:15 PM »
Try ask frankies nursery in waimanalo or check out Makaha mangoes

Mahalo Palologrower!
I checked and Frankies doesn't have these listed on their site; and not sure about Makaha Mangoes but will check!
Is there any other nurseries in the Oahu that I can check?

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:19:25 AM »
Call frankies and ask.   They got stuff not listed. 

Maybe put a wtb on Craigslist as well as check homedepot may have.  Come to mind,  call koolau farmers.   They may have r2e2 and if u call the beretania store and see if Bobbi can help you.  She can ask the other stores too if they have . 

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 03:04:31 AM »
Frankies would be the best place since its on island, no shipping, and no min order size.

KNL has, but I don't know if there is a min order to ship to outer islands.

I know plant-it Hawaii has, but they have a min order size.

Know that there are many types of nam doc mai. Nurseries use the label as a general purpose. I still haven't figured out which nom doc mai they refer to (perhaps #2 or #4).

Have you tried R2E2. I am growing it. The tree is only a year or two from being planted out of a 4Gal pot.  I tried one R2E2 fruit this year from Australia. I wasn't terribly excited by the flavor. It was good, but not great.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »

Have you tried R2E2. I am growing it. The tree is only a year or two from being planted out of a 4Gal pot.  I tried one R2E2 fruit this year from Australia. I wasn't terribly excited by the flavor. It was good, but not great.

The same question. Have you tried R2E2?  I'm not sure you would be actively seeking it if tried. First time I tried,  I only managed to finish half mango, the rest went away to fertilize surrounding soil. This beautiful looking mango seduced me two more times afterwards, but it was disappointment each time. Australian forum member who knows more about local selections than anybody else often trashes R2E2. There are so many better selections in my opinion.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 09:00:12 PM »
If any of you guys are around Waikiki in June/July, there's a Mangoes @ the Moana Event.  Put on by Makaha Mangoes.  They have a best mango contest submitted by people around the island (maybe state?).  Last year, had choke mangoes to sample from. Maybe at least 2-3 dozen varieties.  Good way to try a bunch at one time. Plus some of Hawaii's best chefs come to do mango-incorporated dishes for purchase ($5-6 a ticket, servings are tapas-portioned).

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 09:22:27 PM »
We had a few R2E2's for a HTFG plant sale last year.  In researching for a "buyers' guide" for the event, I found reviews for R2E2 were pretty mixed and, if i recall correctly, it didn't have very good anthracnose resistance.  I don't know if it would work OK for you Oahu guys but didn't sound like a good one for Hilo area ...

John

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »
One year an r2e2 won the mangoes at the moana event.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:13:32 PM by palologrower »

palologrower

• View Profile

Makaha

• Oahu, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »
Mahalo Palologrower for the info!

Makaha

• Oahu, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 10:19:42 PM »

The same question. Have you tried R2E2?  I'm not sure you would be actively seeking it if tried. First time I tried,  I only managed to finish half mango, the rest went away to fertilize surrounding soil. This beautiful looking mango seduced me two more times afterwards, but it was disappointment each time. Australian forum member who knows more about local selections than anybody else often trashes R2E2. There are so many better selections in my opinion.

Mahalo for the info FrankDrebinOfFruits

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 05:58:02 AM »
Out of curiosity Makaha, why those two varieties?  One variety I liked recently a lot was Momi K.  Would grow well in Makaha.  Also Gouveia.  But that's just me.  The Hawaii guys on here will jump in and provide their opinions on what grows best west side Oahu.

Makaha

• Oahu, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 10:44:36 PM »
Out of curiosity Makaha, why those two varieties?  One variety I liked recently a lot was Momi K.  Would grow well in Makaha.  Also Gouveia.  But that's just me.  The Hawaii guys on here will jump in and provide their opinions on what grows best west side Oahu.

Nam Doc Mai is b/c we eat them before and like ịt
R2E2 is from what I read.  But based on the comment above, I think I changed my mind on R2E2.
I think i will try to find another variety that can fruit in the Fall or Spring (with no fiber) so we can have mango most of the year.  Any idea?

Mahalo for the comments!

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 05:38:01 AM »
July or so, go to Moana Surfrider.  They have Mangoes at the Moana festival. They have a competition for best backyard mango.  Mango entries supposedly come state wide.  Attendees are privy to taste them for free.

Also, just go to various farms and see what get?  Frankie's sells all kinds through the season.  I"m sure if you go Kona or West Maui probably can find tons of various varieties. 

Personally, I like Momi K, Maha Chanok, Kurashige, Fairchild Julie, Himayuddin.  But that's just me and everyone is different so just gotta keep eating till you like something.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk