Author Topic: Low bearing coconuts  (Read 4487 times)

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
Low bearing coconuts
« on: January 27, 2015, 03:31:10 PM »
This is a colorful fellow from my island.

This is another passion of mine.... coconuts, especially Samoans....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBgjax3PqUA

Particularly got a laugh from the verbiage @ 2:20-3:00, but there is some serious info as well, interlaced with Kupuna stories. I respect his passion for the low bearing cocos.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:00:13 PM by FrankDrebinOfFruits »

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Low bearing coconuts
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:31 AM »
This is a colorful fellow from my island.

This is another passion of mine.... coconuts, especially Samoans....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBgjax3PqUA

Particularly got a laugh from the verbiage @ 2:20-3:00, but there is some serious info as well, interlaced with Kupuna stories. I respect his passion for the low bearing cocos.

Thankyou for bringing another coconutfreak eccentric to my attention.  Very nice to see other in the US are breeding & selecting dwarf drinking coconut beside me, Boca Giant Samoa green super Dwarf that I have selected & developed came from Hawaii 35 years ago if memory serve me right. Their are over a hundred of these isolated Island projects in The Pacific & Indian Ocean producing super pure strains for the global commercial dwarf green coconut water industry, designer landscape and as well by goverment entities promoting their genetic banks and safeguarding their Domestic Industries.🌴

USDA restrictions had made it impossible for fluid economy here in the 48. Just getting the Medusa Mutant  Coconut out to Dubai by March was a test in taxing USDA Red tape; thank God the Annona Mafias have had their hands in everything and step in to make life painless.😥

I had imported 10 varieties from Hawaii five years ago from a coconut scientist individual doing his tree of life super dwarf selections.  He quit selling them after too much headaches with USDA red tape and local market that did not support a premium and retire to Fiji to do his things for the Middle Eastern Market. Yes economic algorithm of future benefits didnot correspond to the boot on the ground when it came to fruitation in the present sometime.  Yes their are a big demand for the super dwarf varieties as an ornament favorite by Mega Mansion Developers in tropic & sub tropic zones for stately Samoan/Fiji. The eight coconut died with only two varieties surviving from this Reputable COGENT Scientist! The Notion that Hawaii Promote their coconut as disease resistant to The Current Diseases in Florida Because they were Isolated from the pandamic is a Fart!  As a Native American of Choctaw descendant, our Isolation didnot nothing to give us resistant when the European introduce smallbox & nearly wipe us almost into history oblivion Pilgrim!😷😱

Frankdrebin you should do your selections of superior Samoan/Fiji for your Market.  Here in Florida all of  mine are already sold to Developers for McMansion Landscape.  5k for a five years AAA landscape specimens with a foot hanging nuts.  If you have cheap land go for it if economics numeration yield good Margin for local production, only absolute super dwarf pure strains command premium! There should not be another Tall coconut  or hybrids within 1,500 feet, hell I prefer 2 miles to be sure!

Sadly the lands were my Premiums coconuts are grown here in Florida is worth more to built a Mcmansion on than rare super dwarf coconut and the occasional lethal yellow & cold snap take a few tree on contract to market! Rare Palm Collectors keep keep knocking perhaps you can help them!😇

Alway Chase your Passion, you will find a pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow in the Tree of Life!😄
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:12:46 PM by Coconut »
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »
Mother natures tree titties.... Well that's another way of looking at them! Haha

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 06:35:16 PM »
Went and visited him today and bought a handful of mixed genetic guaranteed dwarfs.  Very cool project he has going on.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:43:34 PM »
awesome

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 07:47:38 PM »
Went and visited him today and bought a handful of mixed genetic guaranteed dwarfs.  Very cool project he has going on.

Fantastic, so you have some stock to create and select your own varieties.  Are these three-4 years knee bearing Malasian Dwarf or are they Fiji mixed 4-6 years bearing you got?  Are these ornamentals mixed you got or are they selected drinking nut varieties?

Does he any chance have a Sri Lanka Red Dwarf  or a Pilipog green dwarf? Mine is a mixed King coconut I have been selecting for 35 years what were available here in Florida before the Tamil guy who had the original siri lanka red/ gold King Coconut past away 25 years ago? Pilipog have a pink inside when open and the fruit is round like a Victoria Secret women tits with fruit milky yellowish green, if you see this get it.  He only sell to local is that correct? Sri Lanka dwarf are quit resistant to Lethal Yellow in Africa.
Sri Lanka Red Dwarf

Pilipog
See any of these in his collection please let us know.  Definely the filipog look like tits he was ranting about!😜
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:15:01 PM »
This might be a dumb question, but has anyone tried growing a dwarf coconut in an unheated greenhouse in California or someplace subtropical, and if so, what are the results?

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 11:31:41 PM »
This might be a dumb question, but has anyone tried growing a dwarf coconut in an unheated greenhouse in California or someplace subtropical, and if so, what are the results?

Its been discussed here well at least outside of a greenhouse.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=11128.msg142418#msg142418

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/37538-pogobob-loves-coconut-palms-del-mar-coconut-update/

That might help. As far as Im concerned, its a lack of humidity that makes a coconut palm croak. If you have high humidity (e.g. a greenhouse) a coconut palm is better equipped to survive the cold. For a most part  they're a zone 10a palm. If planted by the coast you might get lucky. But I doubt the palm will ever fruit.

edit: I hear that green malayan coconuts are one of the cold hardiest.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:33:17 PM by Marsbars »

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 11:45:17 PM »
Thanks for those links.  I figure an unheated greenhouse adds about 10 F or so to lows and highs, and the lows here average in the 40s in the winter and low 60s in the summer, and the highs are usually 10-15 F above the lows.  Add 10 F plus the humidity a greenhouse provides, and maybe it's do-able.

Is it possible to purchase fresh dwarf coconuts in California (or bring them in)?  Or are there restrictions?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 12:12:06 AM »
There is a coconut palm tree outside in Newport Beach, CA near the ocean. Its fairly old (maybe +15 years old). Its maybe 10ft tall? I don't think it produces any coconuts.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 12:13:23 AM »

Fantastic, so you have some stock to create and select your own varieties.  Are these three-4 years knee bearing Malasian Dwarf or are they Fiji mixed 4-6 years bearing you got?  Are these ornamentals mixed you got or are they selected drinking nut varieties?

Does he any chance have a Sri Lanka Red Dwarf  or a Pilipog green dwarf? Mine is a mixed King coconut I have been selecting for 35 years what were available here in Florida before the Tamil guy who had the original siri lanka red/ gold King Coconut past away 25 years ago? Pilipog have a pink inside when open and the fruit is round like a Victoria Secret women tits with fruit milky yellowish green, if you see this get it.  He only sell to local is that correct? Sri Lanka dwarf are quit resistant to Lethal Yellow in Africa.
Sri Lanka Red Dwarf

Pilipog
See any of these in his collection please let us know.  Definely the filipog look like tits he was ranting about!😜

Coconut your teasing me with the Sri Lanka dwarf. Another coconut wish list along with King.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 12:20:51 AM »
Yeah, the Newport coconut is one of those famous outliers...  I figure there's no chance coconuts will fruit outdoors anywhere in California.  (Is the Newport tree even a dwarf variety?)

I know it might seem like a lot of effort to grow a dwarf coconut in a greenhouse, but if the greenhouse were filled with water barrels, the passive heat sink alone might be enough to not require any additional heat or light.  Cold soil in the winter could be a problem, so the greenhouse would have to be fairly big.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 12:45:40 AM »
Yeah, the Newport coconut is one of those famous outliers...  I figure there's no chance coconuts will fruit outdoors anywhere in California.  (Is the Newport tree even a dwarf variety?)

I know it might seem like a lot of effort to grow a dwarf coconut in a greenhouse, but if the greenhouse were filled with water barrels, the passive heat sink alone might be enough to not require any additional heat or light.  Cold soil in the winter could be a problem, so the greenhouse would have to be fairly big.

Cold soil is the problem. Humidity is quite high right along S. California coast. But too much time of soil under 50F and they will croak. Certainly they're not going to produce outdoors there.
Oscar

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 02:48:48 AM »

Cold soil is the problem. Humidity is quite high right along S. California coast. But too much time of soil under 50F and they will croak. Certainly they're not going to produce outdoors there.

There is a coconut palm tree outside in Newport Beach, CA near the ocean. Its fairly old (maybe +15 years old). Its maybe 10ft tall? I don't think it produces any coconuts.

I truely believe Coronado Island is the warmest costal area during the winter. It might be possible there. But I dont see it happening unless your a multi-millionaire ;) Last time I visited the palm it was about 10ft. Scraggly, some new growth. This was in august too. The palm was planted in 1984 so its 30 years old. Little runt for thirty years old. I heard it was a Hawaiian Tall from the person who contacted the palm's owner.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:52:51 AM by Marsbars »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk