Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528791 times)

natsgarden123

Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #400 on: May 06, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
this looks healthy to me ...

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 06, 2013, 07:08:51 PM »
Thank You , But i spotted some small rounded black spots on some leaves , i just want to prepare incase its a fungus .

What works better on Mangos , Neem Or Copper ?
Thank You Ed.
Zone 10

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 06, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
While it is hard to say for sure without a close up picture, most likely its anthracnose which you would treat by spraying the entire tree with copper fungicide.  In any event, especially with the rains we/you have had, the blooms should be sprayed with copper to help prevent anthracnose/bloom rot on the blooms which will help or increase the chances of fruit set.

I would not spray neem.  Be very careful with spraying oils.  They CAN have their place but I feel they are way overused as a cure all.  In fact, if sprayed at the wrong time of day or under the wrong conditions, you could actually do harm to the tree.
- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 07, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »
Thanks Rob I Appreciate Your Help !
Will Spray Copper !

Ed.
Zone 10

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 14, 2013, 11:03:18 PM »
Would tipping new mango flushes that haven't hardened yet but fully formed make it succeptable to disease or problems? Any adverse effects from tipping or pruning when a tree has fruitlets forming?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

VentureRider

• Rockledge, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 03, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
I have a Baileys Marvel mango that is approx. 3 years old...one year in my yard.

At times, it has lots of new growth...but after about a week,  the buds/leaves/new growth begin to turn black, then shrivel up and die.

I've included 4 pics showing the various stages of the new growths "demise".

Following the advice of a gardening center, I've applied 3 doses of Dithane-M45 (once a week for three weeks)...and things seem to clear up.

This happens every time there is a new flush of growth...not ALL of the new growth dies off, probably 30% dies, but the rest remains healthy looking.

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 03, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »
not an expert, but based off of dr. Campbells tipping and pruning tips, he says after your harvest and or flowers, to remove the spores because it can carry disease into the tree. based of his video, he just tips the ends. I did this with my spirit of 76 which hasn't fruited but flowered. I tipped them all and now have new growths off all the stems.

check out his video on youtube, something like pruning after harvest

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 03, 2013, 09:07:29 PM »
Might be mango die back.  Usually a fungal infection.  Copper spray should help along with a good nutritional program, especially one that includes the use of the minor elements, iron, zinc, manganese and boron.

VentureRider

• Rockledge, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 06, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »
Thanks for the advice!

I have been using Sunniland 6-4-6 fertilizer.  Is there a "better" fertilizer for mangos?  I made a trip to Home Depot and a local nursery looking for something 0-0-22...but no luck.  :(

In terms of fungicide...should I be spraying the tree at the first sign of new growth...or should I wait a couple of days, then spray?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #409 on: July 06, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »
I have absolutely no idea what disease your mango has.  Regretfully, if it was in my yard, I would destroy it and start over.  It really looks scary and contagious.  Have you other mango trees nearby?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 08, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »
Venture,  If you want to give your tree one more chance before yanking it, you can pug it,  and remove all the leaves.  if the new stuff comes up the same,  destroy it.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

VentureRider

• Rockledge, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 09, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »
I have absolutely no idea what disease your mango has.  Regretfully, if it was in my yard, I would destroy it and start over.  It really looks scary and contagious.  Have you other mango trees nearby?
I've a Zill approx 20' to the east...and it is doing just fine...no symptoms like the Bailey's....

It looks like the Bailey is going to put out some more leafs/growth in the next week or so...I'm going into a holding pattern, since I just completed the 3rd spray of Dithane-M approx 10 days ago.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 09, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »
The reason I mentioned removing the leaves, was to prevent any possible contamination to the new leaves.  if you pug and remove all leaves, you kind of remove any "food source" if its a bacteria, bug or fungus. and prevents it spreading to the new growth.
on the other hand if its a virus, than its probably a gonner.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 09, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »
When i see the darkness on the branches or leaves, /I cut it to avoid the infection/fungus/bacteria from spreading.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 09, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »
The reason I mentioned removing the leaves, was to prevent any possible contamination to the new leaves.  if you pug and remove all leaves, you kind of remove any "food source" if its a bacteria, bug or fungus. and prevents it spreading to the new growth.
on the other hand if its a virus, than its probably a gonner.
Removing the leaves won't help. That black stuff actually starts at the base of the new twig growth and spreads its way up to the leaves and causes the leaves to die then the twig follows. It almost looks like a black shellac coating.  I have this going on with a seedling that I am growing. I had initially thought it might be due to damage I caused to the tap root when I transferred  to a bigger pot. It did improve a bit when I fertilized it. I have it on the side of my house away from my other trees and I will let nature take its course. We'll see how it goes. It had a nice growth flush at the end of May and it did well. Then I noticed it happening again a few weeks ago. None of my other trees have had anything like this so it my not be contagious. Somewhere up this thread are the pictures I posted of the same mystery disease.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:11:29 PM by MarinFla »

VentureRider

• Rockledge, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 11, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
Removing the leaves won't help. That black stuff actually starts at the base of the new twig growth and spreads its way up to the leaves and causes the leaves to die then the twig follows. It almost looks like a black shellac coating.  I have this going on with a seedling that I am growing.  We'll see how it goes. It had a nice growth flush at the end of May and it did well. Then I noticed it happening again a few weeks ago. None of my other trees have had anything like this so it my not be contagious. Somewhere up this thread are the pictures I posted of the same mystery disease.

What fungicide have your sprayed on your tree?  I've been using Dithane-M45, once a week for three weeks.  It appears that in the next week or so, I'l be getting a lot of new leaves....if they start to appear sickly, I'm going to spray with Copper fungicide to see if it makes any difference.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 11, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »
I have been using a mixture of insecticidal soap, copper and dynagrow foliage pro

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 18, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »
Any idea what this is? My Philippine mango tree. Applied foilar spray with Sequestrene (1st time incorp'd to the mix) to all my trees on the 1st of July. This is the only tree that had problems. It's in a pot.

It started off developing like this 10 days after the spray:

15 days after spray:

Fert burn?
F*ck squirrels and deers

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 18, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
Yep....I would say that the sun and mix you sprayed conspired to do this.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 18, 2013, 07:23:01 PM »
What else was in your foliar mix? Urea?
Jeff  :-)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 18, 2013, 08:46:36 PM »
 ;D No. Just Southern AG Foilar (2Tbs/ gal) and Sequestrene (1Tbs from dissolving 1Tbs/1000ml). My other potted trees (Fernandin and Dupuis) didn't show any such burn. Same sun exposure length and I sprayed at sun set.
F*ck squirrels and deers

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 23, 2013, 12:55:18 AM »
New growth dieback can be a lack of calcium or boron.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 13, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »
This is a new shoot on my Dot tree. All the margins on this shoot appear to be doing the same thing. Any suggestions as to the cause of this symptom?  It is otherwise a very healthy and rapidly growing tree.

JC

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 13, 2013, 10:57:24 PM »
good pictures.  They have me stumped.
Har

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 14, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
This is a new shoot on my Dot tree. All the margins on this shoot appear to be doing the same thing. Any suggestions as to the cause of this symptom?  It is otherwise a very healthy and rapidly growing tree.

Growing mangoes in Florida in the summertime, at least, is a very forgiving task.  Occasionally, you will see some things that are not explicable...at least not by me (and apparently I am in good company...with Har). Most of these conditions seems to be temporary and the tree seems to forget about whatever funky thing the last set of leaves wanted to do.  I'd do nothing with this and wait to see how the next flush or two do. If it continues, then you might have something that needs addressing.  But, I'll be that your next flushes may be normal.  Let's wait and see.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA