Author Topic: How to get rid of birds?  (Read 3937 times)

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid of birds?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »
Put up a Squirrel Buster bird feeder a few days ago. It is spring loaded and set to close up when something as heavy as a squirrel gets on it. Working well so far, but these squirrels are smart and determined.

There are some videos on youtube of feeders like the one you have getting raided by smart squirrels.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 03:19:44 PM »
They tried getting rid of all the birds once in China. 

"The "Four Pests" campaign was introduced in 1958 by Mao Zedong, as a hygiene campaign aimed to eradicate the pests [2] According to some eyewitnesses, citizens would bang pots and pans so that sparrows would not have the chance to rest on tree branches and would fall dead from the sky."

Quite the Story....

Now Spaugh::: Do you or anyone really believe that banging pots and pans will never give a bird a chance to land and rest??? (they can fly for at least 20 miles without landing)........Do you or anyone anyone really believe that this would result in them falling dead from the sky???????   lol...   :) :D ;D

I wonder why he did not try to eradicate cockroaches..... I guess he had already tried, lol.... Lowering the numbers present is usually all that can be hoped for with most things considered pests in a given location. Extinction is not an option unless we go also... Then again, I would suspect the cockroach to survive...

So, I will continue to lower the number of what I consider pests on my property as deemed by the owner. Anyone desiring to feed them at their location & property have fun; as to each, their own.... By the way, the topic is "How to get rid of Birds."  (Does not say All Birds) ....  ;)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2020, 12:24:50 AM »
They tried getting rid of all the birds once in China. 

"The "Four Pests" campaign was introduced in 1958 by Mao Zedong, as a hygiene campaign aimed to eradicate the pests [2] According to some eyewitnesses, citizens would bang pots and pans so that sparrows would not have the chance to rest on tree branches and would fall dead from the sky."

Quite the Story....

Now Spaugh::: Do you or anyone really believe that banging pots and pans will never give a bird a chance to land and rest??? (they can fly for at least 20 miles without landing)........Do you or anyone anyone really believe that this would result in them falling dead from the sky???????   lol...   :) :D ;D

I wonder why he did not try to eradicate cockroaches..... I guess he had already tried, lol.... Lowering the numbers present is usually all that can be hoped for with most things considered pests in a given location. Extinction is not an option unless we go also... Then again, I would suspect the cockroach to survive...

So, I will continue to lower the number of what I consider pests on my property as deemed by the owner. Anyone desiring to feed them at their location & property have fun; as to each, their own.... By the way, the topic is "How to get rid of Birds."  (Does not say All Birds) ....  ;)

Maybe its a fairy tale, I have no idea and dont care if you shoot birds.  I shoot birds sometimes too. 

Just an interesting story to broaden peoples horizons.  Food for thought.  Thats all.
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2020, 01:41:05 AM »
Its not a fairy tale,its real that the chinese killed all the sparrows( almost all of them) leading to the ecological imbalance Spaugh noted before.
They calculated how much cereals eats a sparrow and they were doing it to combat famine  but it didnt worked.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2020, 03:37:32 PM »
Decorate your tree with tinsel. Birds won’t go near it.

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2020, 04:19:49 PM »

The trees I need to protect are too small to even support tinsel, perhaps I can put it around it and that might work. Anyways, by some miracle the birds decided to leave my fruit be for the time being, but keep up the suggestions in case they come back. 

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 01:27:01 AM »
Just watched a video.  Reflective Bird Scare Ribbon will do the trick.

deac777

• USA, Northern, CA USDA Zone10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2020, 11:11:15 PM »

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »
I've been bagging the fruit to protect them from birds.

Bird feeders are not, they are actually squirrel feeders.

A lesson from bagging fruit, thin heavily. Then you have less, but bigger fruit to bag. This makes the chore easier.

You reminded me of this ex NASA engineer who tried hard to squirrel proof this bird feeder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg&t=1106s
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 08:32:21 AM »
I also have a minor  problem with sparrows ,that is my cat who is chasing and spaying on them, breaking some of my plants in the process.. they come to eat from the dog's food ,so are present in the yard most of the time. Only way I would think to make them go is shooting , which is not for me .

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2020, 10:40:03 AM »

I have had success by making a mobile using blank CDs and putting that in my garden amongst my fruit trees. It has worked very well so far, which is gong on two years now.

I drove a 1/2-inch metal conduit into the soil about two feet with the top end sitting about six feet above the ground.  Then I used #10-gauge galvanized wire to make a support arm that mounted/slid down into the top of the conduit.  The support arm was then bent horizontally away from the conduit with the end of it about 18-inches from the conduit.  I bent a small hook into the end of the support arm.

Then used another piece of #10-gauge wire about 14-inches long and hung CDs from each end (2 each, back-to-back) of the cross wire with their reflective sides facing out.  To hang the CDs from I bent a small hook at each end of the cross-arm.

The CDs were hung from the cross-wire and the cross wire was hung from the support arm.  All were hung using  a suitable length of monofilament fishing line so everything would rotate and spin in the lightest breeze, casting moving reflections on the ground all around the garden area anytime the sun is out.

With the CDs being reflective on both sides there are as many as four spots of light gliding across the ground at the same time.  Those gliding spots seem to keep both the birds and the squirrels away from my fruit trees.  I am guessing that they think its some hawk gliding around reconnoitering for a meal and so keep clear of my plants.

And so far the birds don't seem to have become used to all the reflective spots gliding around.  Keeping my fingers X-ed that they continue to be leery of those reflections.

The only maintainence on my garden mobile has been to replace any of the CDs if they have started showing any water damage from the summer rainstorms. The CDs generally have lasted these two years now before one or two of them started to lose reflectivity from water seeping in between the plastic layers.  But it's cheap, quick, and easy to replace them when that happens.

OK – Hope that this will be useful for helping to keep squirrels and birds away from y'all's fruit trees.  (Hey – I live in the South, y'all, okay?)

Cheers!

Paul M.
==