Author Topic: My 11 Mango Tree Collection from Top Tropicals tree update  (Read 72099 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: My 11 Mango Tree Collection from Top Tropicals tree update
« Reply #275 on: June 04, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »
Looking great Clay, congrats!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 04, 2014, 03:09:16 PM »
Clay - the malika and lemon zest look to me like they could use some more water.
There leaves look all folded down like they are in drought mode.....can you check
the soil at a few inches of depth and see?

But everything, overall, looks fabuliscious!!!!!

Gary

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 04, 2014, 03:57:37 PM »
And that Maha Chanok is way too yellow. It needs some help.
JC

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 04, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »
Thanks Mark....I've been spending a lot of time with these trees

Gary...That last little Heat wave did a little damage to my trees...But I think they are recovering nicely...The Malika is scaring me a tad bit because I do water them everyday...maybe not enough... Although I did recently transplant both of these trees from Pot...while the Malika had the pebble fruits on it too...this may have been a noob mistake to transplant while flowering and fruiting? The LZ could still be recovering from Shock. every leave you see there is new growth...I'm guessing the tree spent a lot of energy on pushing out that entire set, also it had 1 last set extending at the tips of each flush, but they all withered up and dropped...maybe the tree couldnt support that last extension? The leaves look and feel Healthy though...I dont think the leaves have fully matured yet ether into that darker shade of Green that I saw when the Tree first arrived.

Fang...What do you think about my Pickering,Carrie(73+pebbles), NamdocMai, Sweet Tart, and Malika Fruiting? I think a few of my trees can hold a couple....My CC has exactly 1 Mango on it...But I will not let any of the 3 g hold any fruit, Pina Colada just put on a cherry blossom sakura festival lol...no fruit...but also a baby tree
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 04, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »
And that Maha Chanok is way too yellow. It needs some help.

Man I have my fingers crossed...it dropped all it's leaves, then lost half of the flush it produced afterwards....I think it may have had some desease or fungus of some sort...It arrived in bad shape, but had a great branch structure....but only like 6-7 leaves which were cut in half(odd) the flush it produced had lots of black spots and tips on half of the flush that eventually dropped....these leaves, although yellow have seemed to overcome the major hurdle of death...I jsut hope the Flush its getting ready to push is healthier than the last one. I cna tafford another one of these trees....it went from 49.99 to 80.00 at TT....while every other 3g is still 49.99......what is this the new Mango tree GOD Maha Chanok?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 04, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
You might ask Har, aka Guanabanus, to diagnose the issue and treat as he prescribes.  Those new shoots/branches should be a deep redish purple. 
JC

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 04, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »
Most to all of those small fruit will drop.  What doesnt drop I would remove.   Those tree are not at a point where you want them to hold fruit.   The branches would barely be able to support one without causing undo stress.  Let those trees grow and develop.
- Rob

Mangosurf

• San Diego Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 05, 2014, 03:56:21 AM »
I would second what bsbullie says. The trees from Florida take at least a year to adjust to the Southern California climate. So allowing them to hold fruit this summer will put added stress on them just before the winter hits and your trees might not make it. I would wait until next season to let the larger 7 gallon trees hold fruit.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 05, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
I don't know Clay, I tend to agree with others to not keep any fruit, if there are any left after whatever little fruitlets fall from whatever tree....  Your Maha leaf drop sounds real scary, the Mallika sounds a bit in trouble as does the LZ, if I'm reading you correctly.  Maybe someone, like MangoSurf said, can help diagnose the issue....

You definitely want GROWTH this year.....hey, you can come out to my mango tasting this year
to get your taste buds going - looks like it's going to be the earliest ever - in July!

Gary

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 05, 2014, 03:20:56 PM »
I don't know Clay, I tend to agree with others to not keep any fruit, if there are any left after whatever little fruitlets fall from whatever tree....  Your Maha leaf drop sounds real scary, the Mallika sounds a bit in trouble as does the LZ, if I'm reading you correctly.  Maybe someone, like MangoSurf said, can help diagnose the issue....

You definitely want GROWTH this year.....hey, you can come out to my mango tasting this year
to get your taste buds going - looks like it's going to be the earliest ever - in July!

Gary

Fang,

Thank you so much for the invite, but unfortunately I'll be in Hawaii in July for RIMPAC. but Hold on to that invite for the next years please when I may also be able to contribute a few fruit from my 7g trees and we can compare some of the same Fruits from our different areas.

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 28, 2015, 07:11:47 AM »
Clay
would be nice if you can update this thread with your update , and you take on how to protect with cold.

i know you Carrie didn't make it,  and some others have minor damages due to cold.

thanks

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 28, 2015, 10:05:49 AM »
Clay
would be nice if you can update this thread with your update , and you take on how to protect with cold.

i know you Carrie didn't make it,  and some others have minor damages due to cold.

thanks

Going to post shortly before I leave....A lot of Trees look  bit ugly since they were basically tip pruned by frost 12-24 inches in some places.... However All trees have responded with Tons of Growth and Flowering....I'll take pics in a week or 2 once Leaves start to green up.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 16, 2015, 07:20:05 PM »
Hey Clay, how are your Mango trees doing? Out of the 12 trees you received, I believe you said the Carrie is a goner but how are the rest doing? Are they still in pots or are they all in the ground now? Do you notice any droopy growth habit? Thanks,

Simon

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
Hey Clay, how are your Mango trees doing? Out of the 12 trees you received, I believe you said the Carrie is a goner but how are the rest doing? Are they still in pots or are they all in the ground now? Do you notice any droopy growth habit? Thanks,

Simon

I'll let you know soon as I get back from deployment Sep 27....My Wife says the Nam Doc Mais and Edward Mangos are looking good so far, no drops.... I plucked all other baby fruitlets before leaving for growth.... The Carrie died a poor death last Winter... was the only tree I didn't use C-9 Christmas lights on FML..... and Zands said the Carrie took home best taste this year FML!!!! I'll post a growth report when I get back forsure...  stay tuned.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 17, 2015, 09:53:45 AM »
Thanks Clay, stay safe out there!

Simon

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 17, 2015, 03:37:49 PM »
You are gonna have a fantastic summer a few years from now! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk