Author Topic: Kishu Mandarin  (Read 10755 times)

Kona400

• Kailua-Kona, HI 400' Elevation
    • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Kishu Mandarin
« on: April 17, 2014, 01:34:45 AM »
Are Kishu Mandarins always seedless or only seedless when grown in the absence of other citrus pollinators?  I have a young tree that had fruit full of seeds the first two years.  The taste is good and the fruit is smaller than other mandarins but I bought it because it was supposed to be seedless.  The tree is still young but I didn't think that seed production varied with age.  My honey tangerine and pixie tangerine seem to be better tasting and more productive.  I also have two small gold nuggets, a small tango, and a large fremont so I won't be sad to see the Kishu go, I just read that so many people think it is the best Mandarin.

As possible pollinators besides the mandarins and tangerines, I have tahitian lime, meyer lemon, calamondin, fisher navel orange, cara cara orange, sweet lime, chandler pomelo, yuzu, and valencia orange.

Any comments would be appreciated.

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Kishu Mandarin
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 02:17:15 PM »
My Kishu is surrounded by Cara cara, Nippon kumquat, Miho satsuma, Variegated satsuma, Mr. Mac satsuma, , Bloomsweet grapefruit, and Rio Red grapefruit.  I have never had seeds.  Perhaps Millet will venture along shortly with better information.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 02:30:46 PM »
I'm glad you started this thread.  I thought there was a separate 'Seedless Kishu' variety and almost bypassed 'Kishu' thinking it was seeded.

"Kishu Mandarin

This early ripening mandarin, popular in Japan, produces very sweet, seedless, easy to peel fruit that ripens earlier than Owari Satsuma. Since the fruit is small and soft, it is not grown commercially, but it is becoming a gardener's favorite."

hoosierquilt

• San Diego Co, CA USDA 10a, Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 04:43:52 PM »
Always seedless.  I have over 100 different cultivars and have never seen a seed.  Have had several off the trees at UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection and have not found a seed any any fruit from there, as well.  It is the only "seedless" citrus cultivar that I feel confident in stating, "truly seedless".

Hershell

• U.S. Ga. Ray City zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »
I have never found a seed eather.

Kona400

• Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »
Thank you to everyone for your replies.  Now the next question would be what mandarin has the same look as a Kishu but is not seedless.  The one I have is small with a little bit of a neck, similar to most of the pictures online.  The one I have is from Plant it Hawaii and they also sell Clementine, Dancy, Honey, Satsuma, and Fremont.  They have been known to make a few mistakes since they graft enough to supply most of Hawaii but they are reliable for the most part.  I did call them to ask if the Kishu was supposed to be seedless and they said yes but there may be a pollination issue.  Since this is one of the newer varieties, they weren't sure why mine was seeded.

If it is something different and not a bud mutation or something odd than I would think it is most likely a Clementine.  Not a big deal either way, they taste good and are juicy so I'll just juice them if the tree turns out to be productive enough to keep it's spot in the yard.

Thanks again for the replies,
Jason

Hershell

• U.S. Ga. Ray City zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:36:19 AM »
What is the growth habits of your  tree, is it spreading or upright growth. My Kishu is almost semi dwarf looking even though it is on Swingle rootstock. It is wider than it is tall. Compared to other trees the same age it is small but very productive. Fruit are small somewhat concave top and bottom.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »
Are Kishu Mandarins always seedless or only seedless when grown in the absence of other citrus pollinators?  I have a young tree that had fruit full of seeds the first two years.  The taste is good and the fruit is smaller than other mandarins but I bought it because it was supposed to be seedless.  The tree is still young but I didn't think that seed production varied with age.  My honey tangerine and pixie tangerine seem to be better tasting and more productive.  I also have two small gold nuggets, a small tango, and a large fremont so I won't be sad to see the Kishu go, I just read that so many people think it is the best Mandarin.

As possible pollinators besides the mandarins and tangerines, I have tahitian lime, meyer lemon, calamondin, fisher navel orange, cara cara orange, sweet lime, chandler pomelo, yuzu, and valencia orange.

There are seeded Kishus as well, at least there are in the Houston,TX area.

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:58:38 PM »
I have 2 Kishu mandarins that are several years old and have never found a single seed.

Kona400

• Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 01:14:11 AM »
What is the growth habits of your  tree, is it spreading or upright growth. My Kishu is almost semi dwarf looking even though it is on Swingle rootstock. It is wider than it is tall. Compared to other trees the same age it is small but very productive. Fruit are small somewhat concave top and bottom.

My tree is a dwarf and it is shaped like a ball, it was very productive one year but I had to move it so it suffered this past year.  Fruit are small with a little bit of a neck, I don't think it has ever been in optimal conditions so these next few years will be interesting since it is in a good place now.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 09:56:20 AM »
My guess is that Kona's tree is a Clementine.  Many of the fruit on my Clementine tree have a small neck and are about the same size as the one commonly sold in the store. Kishu are way to small to have a neck. Personally I gave up on Kishu, as the fruit is much to small to bother with. - Millet

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 01:52:44 PM »
My Kishu hasn't had fruit yet but I thought one characteristic was fruit were from very tiny up to golf ball size at the largest, all at the same time. Tom

Darkman

• Pensacola, Fl 8b/9a South of I-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 07:04:04 PM »
Had some interest in this one but the seediness and small size is a problem for me.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »

My tree is a dwarf and it is shaped like a ball, it was very productive one year but I had to move it so it suffered this past year.  Fruit are small with a little bit of a neck, I don't think it has ever been in optimal conditions so these next few years will be interesting since it is in a good place now.

The seede kishu I found described in the book about cold hardy citrus by Stewart Nagle.

hoosierquilt

• San Diego Co, CA USDA 10a, Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 12:43:51 AM »

Jason, if it is small, it could be either Pixie or a small Clementine.  Both resemble Seedless Kishu.  Both have seeds and are small.  Both have tighter skins than Seedless Kishu, which is almost satsuma-like in its zipper skin.  And, more pebbly, too. 

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 11:09:39 AM »
Guys

Are the Kishus better than the Clementines, W. Murcotts and tangos?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 03:57:52 PM »
I'm glad you started this thread.  I thought there was a separate 'Seedless Kishu' variety and almost bypassed 'Kishu' thinking it was seeded.

"Kishu Mandarin

This early ripening mandarin, popular in Japan, produces very sweet, seedless, easy to peel fruit that ripens earlier than Owari Satsuma. Since the fruit is small and soft, it is not grown commercially, but it is becoming a gardener's favorite."

howdy neighbor, i'm nearby Sugar Land, where did you get your kishu from Dave?

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »

There are seeded Kishus as well, at least there are in the Houston,TX area.

where at, mr tx?

GT

• USA, SE TX, Beaumont, 9a/8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 11:04:19 PM »
Hi,
My Kishu is seedless but it grows crazily and is more upright! It is on sour orange, which, most likely, contributes to its growing rate, but it grows even faster than Navel on the same roots. Last year (first) crop was rather bland though...

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 12:50:08 AM »
howdy neighbor, i'm nearby Sugar Land, where did you get your kishu from Dave?

Enchanted Forest in Richmond TX about 3 years ago.

Kona400

• Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 01:14:51 AM »
Here is my tree, only small fruit right now.  It's on dwarf rootstock, not sure which one.

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »
My 2 kishus have satsumas growing next to them and have never produced a single seed. My oldest one came from Treesearch, Houston over 25 years ago.

GregBradley

• Upland, CA USDA 9b Sunset 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »
I've had a Japanese friend tell me that there are 4 Kishu varieties in Japan. Makaku variety has the smallest fruit and is completely seedless.

I believe that is the only one sold here in CA. I don't know about other states.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
How do kishu compare to xie shan?  I've grafted some xie shan and am awaiting bud break (graft union has healed andscion is green).  I would like to topwork on my owari if kishu is superior.
Thanks
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 07:51:22 PM »
In a blind taste test I think Kishu would do pretty good but I think Kishu are small to tiny fruit. Owari is the number one planted sat. so it has been pretty good for a long time. To me Kishu is more a novelty which maybe exactly what you want. As far as size there is no comparison. Xie Shan is definately number 1 for me at this time. Tom