Author Topic: Black Sapote has yellow "ribs" on leaves  (Read 3276 times)

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
Black Sapote has yellow "ribs" on leaves
« on: June 03, 2015, 10:17:32 AM »
My black sapote (just planted, 3 gallon); The middle of the leaves are yellow (sort of like the "ribs" part, I know I'm not saying it right); It was in a pot for about three weeks or so, and when I transplanted it, the roots were black and looked very wet; I might have been overwatering it too much (next to my dragon fruit plants, so I just spray everything with water); Is this a problem of overwatering or nutrition deficiency? Thanks;

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Black Sapote has yellow "ribs" on leaves
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:29:57 AM »
the post says black sapote, but I believe in the other post you said mamey sapote.  Are we talking about the cepeda especial?  If so, it's a mamey.  Black sapote is in persimmon family (Diospyros).
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:31:15 AM »
My black sapote (just planted, 3 gallon); The middle of the leaves are yellow (sort of like the "ribs" part, I know I'm not saying it right); It was in a pot for about three weeks or so, and when I transplanted it, the roots were black and looked very wet; I might have been overwatering it too much (next to my dragon fruit plants, so I just spray everything with water); Is this a problem of overwatering or nutrition deficiency? Thanks;

Has the soil been constantly wet? 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:40:09 AM »
black sap roots are black! even when healthy!

also, its not uncommon for the tree to show nutrient deficiency, and rebounds very well without any help (in my experience)

all it takes is some decent rain!

if you are in a drought, maybe consider giving it some minors
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 11:06:22 AM »

Going from the pictures you post , seeing your drip set up and what your soil looks like , you are not overwatering . You can try making swales around the tree's and remove all the competing crab grass.

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:57:20 AM »
ok thanks guys! Yeah, this is for a black sapote.. In the other post, I was referring to that I also got a Mamey sapote too.. just going to try one time to grow these here..  ;D

I bought it about 3-4 weeks ago.. and when I transplanted it recently (a few days ago), the roots were black and wet (that's what I thought).. it may look like too much water.. I did add some fertilizer (compost manure and a little Dr. Earth Organics 9 too - a layer of that).. I'll let the black sapote dry off and see what happens.. Unfortunately, with a drip system, I won't be able to water a lot of the other trees then.. that's a bad thing about the drip system.. you water all or nothing..
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:01:18 PM by michsu »

ataygirl357

• Palmdale, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 11:09:19 PM »
Hey everyone! I was wondering, does anyone know where I could find some black sapote? I've been searching for them with no luck. Everyone talks about them and I'm dying to try them. I have a close Filipino family friend who says she used to eat them when she was younger, and can't find any either. If anyone knows where I can find them in California, that would be great!

Thanks for you help :)

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 02:12:56 AM »
Hi Ataygirl, i saw them for sale at California rare fruit trees in Vista, Ca. (N. San Diego county). I think they were at least 5 gallons and around $60...probably 4+ ft. tall. Otherwise you could order them online delivered but it's quite a bit more expensive. Chris

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »
Hey everyone! I was wondering, does anyone know where I could find some black sapote? I've been searching for them with no luck. Everyone talks about them and I'm dying to try them. I have a close Filipino family friend who says she used to eat them when she was younger, and can't find any either. If anyone knows where I can find them in California, that would be great!

Thanks for you help :)

I was thinking you meant fruit, that would be quite the specialty fruit to purchase in So. Cal. I think.
You might need to befriend a local fruit forumer.

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »
Hi Ataygirl, The is an LA Area Craiglist add for "Farm Gifts" http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/grd/5063381505.html  which is offing tropical fruit gifts including these. Might be worth inquiring if they can ship you some.
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin