Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620809 times)

Exoticfruits

• Westminster
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1475 on: April 13, 2019, 02:53:10 AM »
Hello,
I am new to this website. I started planting fruit trees a few years ago and I still have a lot to learn from you guys.
I am Orange County,  CA. So far I have :
Starfruits, cherimoya/atemoya, logans, wax apple,  Pomelo, dragon fruit, seedless guava, jujube, loquat, pomegranate, papaya, mulberry, persimmon, sapodilla, mango, guava, lemon, ..

This site has the best and helpful information for gardening.

Thanks,

SC
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:49:43 AM by Exoticfruits »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 14, 2019, 08:45:31 PM »
I am Mihai from Romania and i grow tropical fruit trees or shrubs,lianas in a heated geodesic dome greenhouse.I am also a zone pusher,trying to discover unusual and rare exotic fruits that could grow in zones 6-7.I am an enviromentalist and one of my hobbyes are to grow endangered trees and to find extremely fast growing tree species ( or cultivars).

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 15, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »

Hey Guys,  the name is Bart.  Im a zone pusher in South East Texas 9a

Doing my best to find Far Flung, Weird, and Amazing Troppie/SubTroppie fruit and veg.. that will dig into our gumbo clay.
  (that can survive our brief cold spells, with as little modification as possible, or even container growing)

any recommendations for my locale is greatly appreciated.

Im obsessed with Flavor Modifiers, Sweeteners.. utilitarian/medicinal plants.. genetic oddities.. and conversation pieces, whether thats color or stink or flavor
  (Katemfe/Lemba.. Yoco,Mitragyna,Miracleberry.. Cassabanana,Ackee,Tamarillo.. Stinkbean,BlackberryJamFruit,Sapotes)

Thanks for the website! Looking forward to meeting, exchanging, trading and buying your wares and talking shop

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 26, 2019, 09:02:22 AM »
Hi folks, My name is Dan. I've been lurking here for quite a while and learning a lot. I live in Houston, Tx, where I make my feeble attempts at propagating plants and trees that interest me. Most of my plantings are on our place near Victoria, Tx, where we will eventually retire. Down there we have beautiful sandy loam, and fairly unpredictable rainfall, so have to irrigate.
We started off with low chill temperate climate trees and bushes but are starting to incorporate more sub tropical material.
I am working on plans to convert one of our small barns into a greenhouse - sort of. We generally don't get more than 20 or so hours below 32° in the winter but might be 80° the next day, so I'm concerned about cooking them as well.
I won't bore you with a lot of detail about what we have. The usual fruit trees, grapes, blackberries, sugar cane (when I can keep the wild hogs out of it), almonds, olives and am growing, sprouting, rooting a bunch more exotics that I have learned about from y'all!
Again, Thanks for the wisdom you share. I hope I can be of some help as well.
D

Irakleousm

• Cyprus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: May 03, 2019, 03:02:04 AM »
Hi all, new member here.
My name is Michalis (Michael), I live in Cyprus (yep, that one tiny country in Southeast Mediterranean sea, which you can drive end-to-end in a couple of hours, if you don't care about speed limits! Otherwise, it'll take around...3 hours).

I've developed an interest in "all plants tropical", although so far I've been only growing in yard trees you can consider as "common" here: Figs, Olive trees, Pomegranate, all sorts of citrus (Lemons, Mandarings a couple of varieties of oranges etc). So my interest so far has been theoretical, just something I found myself enjoying reading about.  I though I could never cultivate anything more "exotic" successfully since I believed that the place I live is not the best environment for such plants.

My town, Limassol is on the southern part of the island and my place is located on a hillside, facing southwest. So we indeed never get frosts, minimum temperatures are in the regions of 45-50F and that is only a couple of weeks per year. However, during summertime it can regularly reach 100F. In addition to that, there's allways some breeze coming from the West which frequently escalates to some fairly strong winds, especially during spring and late summer. In other words, you could describe my house as "exposed". In addition to that, my house sits on limestone soil, not too deep (you can reach bedrock 2-3 ft below). And ofcourse, drought: if it rains anywhere between May and September, it's in the news. Kids are afraid that something is wrong, politicians make statements, people get so excited we have mini baby-booms 9 months later, you get the drift!

Anyway, long story short, 4 years ago, I decided to plant a few shrubs/trees other than the usual you can readily find in nurseries here, just to see what happens. Apparently, I couldn't find all species I was interested in 'cause I hesitated to order something from aboard so I just focused on those plants I could find in Cyprus. That is, unnamed varieties, unfortunately. Also, care was minimal (some soil amendment on each planting spot, regular watering during summer, some mulch, not anything fancy).
The results were way better than my expectations:
-Unnamed luchee tree: died within a year. The winds seemed to dry off its leaves.
-Two unnamed longan trees: thriving. The more wind-protected one fruited last year, a couple of dozens of fruits, taste was surpsingly good. The more exposed one, showed more vigorous growth (enjoys more sunlight), it flowered this year for the first time.
-Unamed mango tree: Thriving. Fruited last year for the first time, a couple of mangoes. Taste was..terrible (extremely strong flavor, lots of fibers, resinous aftertaste). I need to find better varieties to graft onto this one!
-Two surinam cherries (orange variety): thriving. Lots of fruits, terrible turpentine-like taste. I'll propably kill them this year.
-Two Feijoa plants: Thriving. Flowered for the first time last year, no fruits set. This year I'm hand-pollinating in the hopes of finally get the chance to taste those pineapple guavas.

So, basically, I was wrong.
It seems that some tropical/subtropical plants can indeed be cultivated in my house, as long as they do have some wind resistance. My goal now is to find those grafted varieties that actually bear descent fruits!

And that's where my long and english-is-not-my-first-language post ends!
Glad to find this amazing forum!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 03:16:41 AM by Irakleousm »

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #1480 on: May 03, 2019, 06:22:41 AM »
Hi,
my name is Sdravko and my vegetarian family in the Balkan mountains always used to rely heavily on gardening and foraging. So i had planted my first veggies (i think it was tons of leftover cabbage seedlings) and picked my first herbs and mushrooms by the age of 3. Most of the time my parents and i lived in Sofia so the gracious government provided us with bananas, mandarins and oranges a couple times each winter. Everybody complained those were hard to get elsewhere. Once my mom even got a pineapple!!!!! And a neighbour had a coconut nut he proudly displayed in his living room. 
When i was 7 we moved to Germany and as soon as i saw my first Botanic garden with tropical fruit i was hooked. Stole a couple of fruit off the trees, got my first (but not last) fruit poisoning by the age of 8 (i ate raw air yam but thought it was a fruit). As a teenager i grew temperate fruit and veg with some success and less hardy stuff with less (figs and kiwis dont do well in zone 7a).
Later i studied Biology (Botany, Nature Conservation Biology and Ecology) in Germany, Arizona and Malta. Did my Diploma (nowadays this is called masters) on the German medlar and dropped out of my PhD program.
For the last 13 years i have had a farm of about 15 hectars in Heidelberg/Germany doing traditional agriculture including mixed fruit orchards. I grow medlars, quinces, apples, pears, plums, cherries, walnuts, service trees, figs, apricots and peaches, have feral chestnuts and hazelnuts, plums, blackthorn, hawthorn, peaches, apples, pears, cherries and several strawberries.
I would like to be a zone pusher (its possible to grow so many more species nowadays then when i was a kid) but the farm belongs to the townhall and they want strictly traditional stuff or they dont pay.
After my fruit hunting in the Balkan mountains and German greenhouses i started going south, first to the Mediterranean, then Arizona, the Canary islands and Florida, later the Caribbean, Thailand and Cambodia. Then i fell in love with the biggest hotspot of fruit biodiversity in the world in Indonesia/Malaysia. A couple months ago i started a youtube channel on rare fruit (all the fruit).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrKEeyhQxkfeXy-HN1R8wCA/featured?disable_polymer=1&app=desktop

Next winter i plan to return there to start collecting rare jungle fruit for the Botanic gardens in the region since the rainforest is disappearing at an alarming rate and i want to preserve the countless tasty fruit there. I would really appreciate if someone could help me id over 200 species i found there or would accompany me on my next jungle trip (maybe Jan to March in Malaysia after a lenghty visit of the Canary islands).

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #1481 on: May 03, 2019, 11:25:16 AM »
It seems that some tropical/subtropical plants can indeed be cultivated in my house, as long as they do have some wind resistance. My goal now is to find those grafted varieties that actually bear descent fruits!
Welcome to the forum! Your English is excellent!

It sounds like your first step should be to plant windbreaks. What do farmers on the island use for that purpose? Plant some! Yes, it will take a long time before you have a real wind break, it's an investment into the future, but once the plants get tall you will be so happy. (You can always plant some bamboo, I guess, I'm having decent luck with B. Oldhamii and I hear B. Textilis work well too.)

Irakleousm

• Cyprus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 03, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Your English is excellent!

It sounds like your first step should be to plant windbreaks. What do farmers on the island use for that purpose? Plant some! Yes, it will take a long time before you have a real wind break, it's an investment into the future, but once the plants get tall you will be so happy. (You can always plant some bamboo, I guess, I'm having decent luck with B. Oldhamii and I hear B. Textilis work well too.)

Hey, thanks.
I know, i have to get out of my denial at some point and sacrifice some space for those windbreakers!
Thing is, the most common plant we use in domestic yards is a bush a totally dislime (arartree?, that's how you call it? - Tetraclinis articulata).
I could find other plants though, which provide some fruit/berry on the side. Maybe strawberry guavas? I have one planted on one of my most exposed spots and it seems to not care at all.
Thanks for the advice.

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #1483 on: May 10, 2019, 01:43:17 PM »
Glad to have found my old friends at the old citrus forum. Would be glad to meet new friends and fellow enthusiasts here.  I copied my introduction at another fruit forum, but they don't deal with tropical very much. This I think would be a better fit forum for me because I am into many things extraordinary or turn ordinary things into extraordinary. Would be glad to share more about my various backyard experiments. The pics are meant to update my old friends as to what I've been up to through all those years.

My wife and I in our family friend’s persimmon orchard near Yuba City, California.

Gleaning some persimmons from our friend’s orchard. He intentionally left us trees with fruits enough to fill a 40-footer truck.

My winemaking partners in our partner’s vineyard. We grow different kinds of grapewine varietals.

Destemming the grapes at the winery.

Winemaking is just one of my many jobs and I love my wine research work. We are required to drink on the job for the sake of research! I don't get paid to make wines.

We win awards for our unique wines fermented from fruits and grapes, not infused, but real fermented fruits.

Meet Edgar Valdivia, a CRFG member, I made dragon fruit wine for him and it won Best Of California Award at the state fair. When I have the time, I accept requests to make wine for my friends, and the only thing that I require is we split half the wine before bottling.

Meet two of our three kids… Our youngest son is an excellent music composer and our daughter has just graduated college.

I love fishing… so share with me your secret fishing spots for a bottle of excellent tasting fruit wine!

I’m an electric car enthusiast. I'm the world's number 1 VoltStats Hall of Famer for now. I get 1,987 mpg with my Volt, drove it for 81,000 miles in 2.5 years and only used 30 gallons of gas, with 24 gallons provided for free by the dealer, so only really bought 6 gallons of gas! I love the concept of the Voltec drivetrain, I don’t have to plan any of my trips around charging stations, I have no range anxiety, and I attain 97.6% of my total mileage in electricity from the sun from our paid-off electric panels. My driving is free fuel most of the time.

I regularly donate blood and platelets, while working my main job as a software developer.

I also volunteer to help graduate students do some challenging grafting for their research towards thesis.

This is my favorite tree, this pic shown when it had 130 different cultivars on it, with about 30 different types of prunus species and their hybrids. The shirt was given by my kids on Father’s day, and the legend portion is supposedly hiding below the belt, not the multigrafted tree. It is now a 160-n-1 stone fruit tree spanning 32 different types of species and their interspecific hybrids.

My wife and I are both outdoors folk, attending our oldest son’s wedding in San Luis Obispo Botanic Garden

I grow most anything that captures my interests... Something that I can grow without using a greenhouse. I have about 200 different kinds of stone fruits with 160 of them grafted together in one tree, 101-n-1 citrus, 12-n-1 Feijoa, 24-n-1 fig, 6-n-1 mulberry, 8-n-1 blueberry bush, 8-n-1 cold hardy avocado, tropical guavas, 12-n-1 persimmon, 12-n-1 cherries, multigrafted peaches/apricots/nectarines/nectaplums/apriums/plumcots,  apple/pear/quince multigraft, many diffferent kinds of pomegranates (some are multi-grafted too),  papayas (babaco, mountain and tropical), cacao, coffee, CORG, lucuma, Java plum, white sapote, bananas, dragon fruits, goumi,  jujube, loquats, pineapple. Recently acquired Luc's Garcinia and the regular achachairu for indoor growing, and see if I can make them bear fruits... I have fresh fruits year round from my itty bitty teeny tiny urban yard.

I'm happy to meet all of you too! Drop by anytime for free tasting from whatever fresh fruits I have. I have fresh fruits all year round from my yard. And out of season fruits beautifully served inside a bottle, the fruit wine tasting, free tasting for fellow members! Fruit wines you’ve never tasted before, once in a lifetime you should try. And of course, some regular grape wine varietals too!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:06:22 PM by JoeReal »

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #1484 on: May 10, 2019, 02:40:49 PM »
Glad to have found my old friends at the old citrus forum. Would be glad to meet new friends and fellow enthusiasts here.

Whoa! Nice to see you here, welcome!

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #1485 on: May 10, 2019, 04:06:34 PM »
Great to see you made it Joe.

Ken

• Temecula, CA Zone 9B, Sunset 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 11, 2019, 08:31:49 PM »
Hi everyone. I began planting fruit trees several years ago after moving to our current house. Our previous home had a wonderful Wurtz Avocado tree that my wife and I missed greatly after moving. So we decided to plant some fruit trees at our new house after we moved in. We moved from zone 10a to 9b. A couple of degrees makes a big difference.

We have 4 orange, 2 apple, 2 avocado, 2 lemon, 3 persimmon, 2 Asian pear, 2 bananas, a tangelo, mandarin, fig, nectarine, mango and plum trees.

I would like to plant a black Persian mulberry and more mangoes in the future. I’m going to try to grow some Manila mangoes from seed.

I enjoy the challenge of growing the tropical fruit trees at home. Unfortunately I still have much to learn and have a long list dead mangoes and avocados to prove it.

I look forward to learning from the vast pool of experience here and hopefully will be able to contribute with my own experiences as well.

Happy fruiting!

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #1487 on: May 11, 2019, 08:43:40 PM »
I would like to plant a black Persian mulberry and more mangoes in the future. I’m going to try to grow some Manila mangoes from seed.
Welcome here! In case you're not aware: you can get the persian mulberry in tree and bush form. Stay away from the weeping kind if you're looking for fruit production.

Ken

• Temecula, CA Zone 9B, Sunset 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: May 11, 2019, 09:02:04 PM »

Welcome here! In case you're not aware: you can get the persian mulberry in tree and bush form. Stay away from the weeping kind if you're looking for fruit production.

Thanks for the advice. I’m definitely looking for fruit.

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #1489 on: May 12, 2019, 12:31:18 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I’m definitely looking for fruit.

I got a weeping one, because ... well ... never mind. Anyway, they get grafted high, like 5'-6' high, and then it's supposed to weep down from there. But it doesn't just do it, the weeping only happens if you carefully prune every branch every year. So the end effect is that the fruiting branches start somewhere up there in ladder territory and go higher. Plus you need to cover it with bird netting. Needless to say, I planted a bush form as replacement and that tree will come out once the bush has fruit. But 'til then I'm willing to do anything to get that fruit...

jsailor1

• Belle Isle
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 13, 2019, 03:27:45 PM »
Hi, John here from Orlando Florida.  Have been reading on the forum for a while and thought it is time to join.  Started growing fruit trees about 5 years ago with the help of a friend from Melbourne Beach.  Starting to run out of space in my yard.  I have 3 more dedicated large spaces that had previous trees on it. 

In my yard now..
Plum
Grapefruit (Flame)
Brogden Avocado
Longan ( Bien Kiew)
Lychee ( Sweet Heart)
Carambola ( Sri Kemp)
Nam Doc Mai Mango
Keitt Mango
Glenn Mango
Lemon Zest Mango
Jaboticaba
Bananas and mulberries

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #1491 on: May 13, 2019, 06:23:26 PM »
Nice addiction you got going, jsailor  ;D Welcome here!

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: May 19, 2019, 12:39:58 AM »
I am so happy I found this forum. It will take me a few nights though to read it through.
My addiction is very new. Only 2 months old.
It started with an old mahogany tree that we had to take down (invasive root system).
Then I was looking for a new big front yard tree and I discovered a new fascinating world of tropical fruit trees.
Valencia pride was selected for the front yard, but there was some space left... So, I planted Kilo guava and Barbados cherry. And then the backyard: Maha chanok mango, Red Lady papaya and Mai 1 jackfruit. I am planning to pack some more in this small residential lot.

I live in Palm Beach County and buy from Excalibur.

Please bear with me if I ask not so intelligent questions. I am a nerd from a cold climate... I need some help with all these pests and tree selection. I am determined to keep my trees alive and fruiting.
At the moment I am fighting Sri Lankan weevils, mealybugs and something unidentified is eating my papaya leaves. Also, I see tons of spiders and I have no idea how to tell beneficial ones from pests.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 20, 2019, 10:10:04 PM »
My name is Abe, I take people fishing for a living. I love my wife, my dog, my family, and fishing in that order, and I love fishing for tropical fruit. I dream about planting and destroying my garden all day and part of the night. I love tropical fruit, rare or not so rare. I live in Biscayne Park, Florida. My homie Adam is on the forum and he started my obsession just over 3 years ago. He gave me most of what I have:

Pitomba
,pitangatuba,
cedar bay cherry
Achachairu,
lucs garcinia,
improved lemon drop
2 Kona sugarloaf pinnapple's
Machete ice cream bean
Seedling jack x chempedak from han sen
euginia calycina "nelita"
Ruby red guava
Lancitella mango
Key west “pantin” mamey sapote
Magana mamey sapote
Bears lemon
Navel orange “Valencia “

NOTE: None of my trees are taller than 6 feet...YET.

Chris_TGM

• Broward, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Thegreenman
« Reply #1494 on: June 02, 2019, 10:03:05 AM »
Hey everyone my name is Chris, I'm a native of South Florida, and live in Broward County. I've been in the Nursery and landscaping industry here since 1989, I've grown many different tropical fruit trees over the years, as a nursery grower and landscape gardener. I owned and operated a small landscape design,  installation, and maintenance company for the past nineteen years, but I'm now employed full-time as a groundskeeper at a local retirement home, so now for the first time in many years have some extra time to devote to my own small garden. I grow and crossbreed many types of hot peppers as a hobby, and when I'm gardening you will always find me listening to the blues greats from BB King and Keb Mo to Stevie Ray and Joe Bonamassa.
See you dirtside.

Vince2543

• Learning Every Day
    • 🇺🇸 California Hacienda Heights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: June 04, 2019, 11:41:59 PM »
Good evening everyone my name is Vince,  I’m from southern Cali.  Just moved over to Hacienda Heights just a few years ago.  Just starting out into tropicals.  I have been reading and reading this forum the last 2 years and finally took the plunge to join.

It would be awesome to learn from and meet everyone here.

Thank you

Vince

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: June 09, 2019, 01:35:20 PM »
Hello!

I currently do not have any fruit trees but with a new house I'm buying I plan on a good variety for my back yard. Years ago I raised mainly citrus - Minneola, Navel, Temple, Dancy, Red Grapefruit, as well as muscadines, loquat and several varieties of Florida peach and a couple of apples. They all grew very well and the fruit was superb. Never had any serious problems, just lucky I guess.

With my new house I will have the citrus varieties mentioned above and a mango or two and probably a Lychee. I really look forward to getting started and am fortunate to have several well-stocked nurseries nearby. Glad I found this forum as I know I will learn a lot here.

chuckliu

• Honolulu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: June 16, 2019, 05:26:38 AM »
Hi everyone, my name is Chuck and I love tropical fruit :).

At the moment, I live in a condo in Honolulu, so I don't have any room to grow anything, but am very appreciative of being able to live here. However, I've had a lot of experience gardening back on the mainland.

My loves are primarily Durian, Mango, and Lychee. I do plan on moving back to the mainland at some point in the future, and have been spending a lot of time doing research on potential geothermal greenhouses that would allow me to grow these in a zone 5. If successful, I suspect I may be the first to pull off a Durian in Zone 5. I'm hopeful, given some of what I've seen with Japanese greenhouses growing mangos, and recently, a greenhouse grown Durian.

To help keep the dream alive, I present to you, a *potted* greenhouse grown durian in Okinawa: https://www.atpress.ne.jp/news/163015

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: June 16, 2019, 07:07:26 AM »
Hi guys, my name is Sergey. I'm from Russia. I grow various fruits and vegetables on my land, I introduce various trees and shrubs to our harsh climate zone, but my main hobby is dragon fruit and papaya, I am very interested to get results from these plants, I try to create suitable conditions for them and I believe in my luck!
❀ Sergey ❀

CyndiUN

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: June 22, 2019, 07:35:57 PM »
I'm Cyndi and I live in So California in the middle of the Citrus Quarantine Zone for the HLB.
I decided I should think about getting a retirement Hobby and since I like to eat, maybe grow edibles especially fruits.
It's been an uphill battle getting plants to survive due to my lack of gardening experience but so far Dragon Fruit, Loquat, Surinam Cherries, some Avocados and some Citrus seedlings have survived several seasons. Since the local gophers are winning, every survivor has been in containers or inside under a grow light.
Any tips on growing Citrus & Mango would be appreciated.
I think part of my problem was the lack of consistent watering & fertilizer which I hope to solve with a drip irrigation system with a fertilizer injector.