Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620662 times)

Lonomakana

• Kaneohe, HI
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1500 on: June 26, 2019, 12:10:32 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Dann and I'm moving back to my family home in Kane'ohe, Hawaii.  I'm planning to make most of landscaping edible and add some fruit trees.   Would like avocado, soursop, araca-boi, and some small citrus but I'll have to see if these will thrive in my soil and climate.  We already have Okinawan Sweet Potato, Papaya, Kalo, Apple Banana, Prickly Pear Cactus, and a way too tall coconut tree.  Open to help from real people with experience on the wet side of O'ahu.

aloha, Dann

Mehidk

• Concord, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: July 03, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Phuong and I live in California (East Bay). I'm a graphic designer and one of the newest hobbies I've picked up the past few years is  creating my own little garden. I started simple with a few plants such as pumpkins, sunflowers and marigolds but now I've branched out to a variety of fruits, such as strawberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, etc. This year, I decided to try out tropical fruits so I now have 6 varieties of dragon fruit and cherimoya. I probably should have started out slow but I was so excited to see how many varieties of dragon fruit there were and got several more LOL.

I'm excited to have found this forum and I look forward to mingling with you all :)

TBedeezy

• USA, CA, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: July 03, 2019, 01:03:10 PM »
Hello everyone!  So glad I finally joined the community.  Lurking for a while but now decided to introduce myself.  My name is Theo. Live in city area of San Diego in zone 10a.  Have gotten bitten with the idea of turning my yard into a reminder of my most recent trip back to the Philippines.  I appreciate all the knowledge that is shared here and hope to contribute as well.  My garden is modest at the moment brimming with young trees but hope to grow them with an ultimate dream of putting them into the ground some day. 

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 08, 2019, 09:38:35 PM »
Hi, my name is Charles, and I'm from Georgia(US). I like plants in general, but recently have started appreciating fruit more. Planted some pawpaws (Shenandoah, Overleese, and Mango) this spring, and they're looking good so far. In the future, I'd like to move to somewhere I can have a tropical fruit farm. Love how active this forum is and enjoy seeing the progress everyone is making. Hope we get along. :)

Tiny Jungle

• Orange County, CA USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 13, 2019, 04:07:37 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Greg and live in Orange County California Zone 10B where we're almost always in a drought.
My addiction started about 4 years ago and I have somewhere around 130 fruiting trees, bushes, Vines, etc at my modest home. Even though it doesn't appear I have much room left I will continue to add to the collection. A short list of what I currently have goes something like this. Citrus, Mulberry, atemoya, cherimoya, lychee, figs, stone fruits, many sapotes, eugenias, jackfruit, persimmons, sapodilla, longan, avocados, mangoes, wax jambu, jaboticabas, luc's garcinia, many tropical berries and cherries, etc. I think you get the point lol. I'm here to learn and push the limits of my zone and to collect more fruits. After skimming through the site a couple times I've already learned a ton. Thank you!

chris_c

• US/CA/Central Valley/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: July 17, 2019, 02:32:58 AM »
Hello All,
My name is Chris_C a newbie from San Joaquin Valley, northern CA.
Just about enjoying retiring life and taking an interest in avocados and some tropical fruits. Looking forward to learning from this wonderful group of people.

Deana

• Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 24, 2019, 01:28:54 PM »
Hi all!
My name is Deana and I live in Long Beach, California. I buy many fruits and foods at our local Thai market and love them all. I have recently started 20 trees of Jack fruit from seed. I’m super excited and also terrified because I do not have much of a backyard. I started the seeds by wrapping them in wet paper towels (5 per lot) and just waited a few weeks and they all sprouted. Some of the trees appear health than others. I’d say I have a good 10 healthy trees developing. I’m told they are not easily grown here and the Thai market is very interested in my progress with these jackfruit trees.

Deana

• Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 24, 2019, 02:43:15 PM »
Hi all!
My name is Deana and I live in Long Beach, California. I buy many fruits and foods at our local Thai market and love them all. I have recently started 20 trees of Jack fruit from seed. I’m super excited and also terrified because I do not have much of a backyard. I started the seeds by wrapping them in wet paper towels (5 per lot) and just waited a few weeks and they all sprouted. Some of the trees appear health than others. I’d say I have a good 10 healthy trees developing. I’m told they are not easily grown here and the Thai market is very interested in my progress with these jackfruit trees.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 24, 2019, 03:16:01 PM »
Welcome Deana.

Jackfruit don't thrive when under marine layer for months out of the year, but if you are far enough inland to avoid marine influence, then they should grow well. Since you have so many successful seedlings and limited space, it may be beneficial to plant them near each other, and then in-arch them, or bring them together into a single tree. The combined area of the roots should help the tree breach the juvenile period that jackfruit struggle with in the cool Southern California climate.

Once the tree reaches adult size, you can graft it to a selected variety using budwood on offer in the for sale section.

Solara

• US, Central Texas, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: July 28, 2019, 11:16:53 AM »
Hello all!!!

I have found this forum this morning after looking for information on Jack Fruit and leaf problems. I am looking forward to learning a lot!!!

I live in Central Texas an hour north of Austin. It is mostly hot and sometimes humid with upper 90's but I am trying my luck with tropical trees, bushes.
I Love my plants and am outside every day to make sure there is nothing going on, but sadly there is always something.

These are the plants I have:
Jack Fruit (3) 1 year old in pots.
Lemon Tree (3) a 3 year old, and a few months old from seeds.
Mandarinquat (4) 6 months from seed
Lychee (4) 3-4 mon from seed
Black Mandarin (1) 3 years old
Kiwi (meader) (1) 1-2 years old
Kiwi (anna) (1) 1-2 years old
Grape (1)
Red currant (4) 2-3 years old
Black Mission Fig (1) 2-3 years old (not sure)
Pomegranate (2) 3 years old

I have problems with blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. They just don't seem to like it here. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. But I will keep trying.

The Lemon and Mandarin have green fruits. The Pomegranate had flowers and one is still developing but I doubt I get a fruit out of it.

I am always wondering if i should plant them in the garden or leave them in pots. But through reading and some posts I hope to figure it out soon. :)

KRFruithunter

• Seoul, South Korea, Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: July 28, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »
Hello everybody,
My name's Daniel, and I'm a South Korean who has a passion for exotic fruits and such. I'm not exactly a "grower" as the only things I have are approx. 6 lemon seedlings growing in pots. I hope this can be a learning experience for me.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: July 28, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »
Hello everybody,
My name's Daniel, and I'm a South Korean who has a passion for exotic fruits and such. I'm not exactly a "grower" as the only things I have are approx. 6 lemon seedlings growing in pots. I hope this can be a learning experience for me.
Wellcome my friend and enjoy the forum! Your area have great fruits too!  ;)

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 03, 2019, 02:12:45 AM »
After referring on several occasions to Tropical Fruit Forum’s vast communal archive of fruit growing information, I figured it was time to stop lurking as a guest, register on the site, and introduce myself.

I am new to “serious” fruit growing, though I have almost always had tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, and the like; a small garden plot and a few fruiting plants in the yard are a longstanding, but fading, tradition in my part of the world. My fruit growing started innocently in July 2017 when my mother came over with an orange she received at work. It was a good tasting orange, probably a Valencia, rather small, with two seeds, a large seed and a tiny runt of a seed. It had been several years since I had eaten an orange with seeds (or just about any orange, as I had lost whatever love I had for the quite bland grocery store navel orange), so on a whim, I planted them. Little did I know what I was getting myself into…

Fast forward two years and it is time to admit that I am addicted to growing fruit plants, particularly tropical and subtropical ones which cannot survive my climate. As I live in north Alabama, which gets the worst of all weather with blisteringly hot summers and freezing winters, my non-temperate fruit plant collection is confined to containers scattered outside my house in the summer and inside during winter. And boy, is the number of containers ever growing. With the exception of a Calamondin bought half price at Lowe’s, a Grimal Jaboticaba purchased on eBay, and an unknown variety of Dragon Fruit given to me by a friend who shares my fruit addiction, all of my other three dozen species or varieties of tropical or subtropical fruiting plants have been grown from seed, bought either from various sellers on eBay or Trade Winds Fruit or harvested from the fruit itself. I have thirteen varieties of Citrus, Annonas of various types, a couple of Eugenia species, Lychees, Jackfruits (I know, good luck getting one of those to fruit in a container), Carambolas, Passion Fruits, and more. And then there are the centerpieces of my collection: one two-year-old, approximately 18” tall orange tree, probably a Valencia, and its approximately 8” tall runt of a sibling. Who says a little sentimentality is a bad thing.

I also have some temperate fruiting plants in my yard, ranging from the expected such as strawberries and blackberries, to the uncommon such as pawpaws and maypops (Passiflora incarnata), to the rarely eaten such as beautyberry (Callicarpa americana).

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 02:42:02 AM by W. »

ropi

• Bangka, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 05, 2019, 05:09:28 AM »
Hi,

I just found this interesting forum, registered, and now introducing myself.

I am Ropi, just opened a tropical fruit orchard in Bangka island, Indonesia (around 433 kms from Jakarta, 472 kms from Singapore, and 777 kms from KL). I'm planting durian (275 plants, mostly top local Bangka origins: Namlung/Cumasi and Supertembaga), Cempedak King (1,200 plants), guava, avocado, and oranges.

I am looking for knowledge shared in this forum and open for cooperation.

thanks & regards,
Ropi

ropi

• Bangka, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 05, 2019, 05:16:06 AM »
Pak Alfian,

nice to meet Indonesian in this forum.

greetings from Bangka Island.
regards,
Ropi
ropi.dagi@gmail.com

TheCoorg

• Kodagu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: August 12, 2019, 10:57:30 AM »
Greetings, I am based in South India in a coffee growing district called Coorg. We enjoy sub-tropical weather climate here and are able to grow a wide variety of fruits. Unfortunately we have a lot of fruit bats around as well as birds and frequent wild elephant damage so we take what is left.

Thanks very much to the admins of this forum for providing a great platform to exchange information and make friends.

Looking forward to participating more on this platform.

Cheers
Bops

simeoni

• kenya
    • View Profile
pawpaw diseases
« Reply #1516 on: August 12, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »
hi i am based in Kenya have an issue with my pawpaw plants there is crystals on the young fruit and when touched latex oozes out
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:44:37 PM by simeoni »

simeoni

• kenya
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: August 12, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »
I AM BASED IN KENYA I AM A PAWPAW GROWER I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH CRYSTALS ON THE YOUNG PAWPAW FRUITS AND WHEN TOUCHED LATEX OOZES OUT AND ONE HAVE ANY TREATMENT FOR THIS   

waynesinoz

• Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: August 19, 2019, 03:14:52 AM »
Hi to everyone. My name is Wayne. I'm from Cairns, North Queensland, Australia and I am retired and I am living in Da Nang, Vietnam. A friend in Queensland recommended I join this site because of the availability of many tropical fruits in Vietnam. I'm hoping I can help people track down seeds for fruits that grow here in Vietnam.
Wayne

cempedak9000

• The World
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: August 21, 2019, 05:48:10 AM »
Hello all!

I'm Louis, an avid amateur fruit hunter. As you might have guessed from my username, my favourite fruit in the world is the Cempedak, the CH28 variety to be precise. Looking forward to learning more about fruit here!

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: August 23, 2019, 06:17:50 AM »
Hi everyone! my name is George. I am studing marine engineering in Athens, Greece. I have had always a passion with growing fruits that i hadnt heard previously, tropical or not tropical and I was always searching for info here, so its time to become a member. I have a aslo a winery so lots of space for trying different kind of fruit trees.
I am looking forward in meeting new people and learning

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: August 26, 2019, 05:07:29 PM »
Hi everyone! my name is George. I am studing marine engineering in Athens, Greece. I have had always a passion with growing fruits that i hadnt heard previously, tropical or not tropical and I was always searching for info here, so its time to become a member. I have a aslo a winery so lots of space for trying different kind of fruit trees.

Casmiroa cultivation and alcohol via fermentation are a great match, once your trees mature, you will have plenty of sugary fruit to produce alcohol with.

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: August 29, 2019, 01:31:28 AM »

Casmiroa cultivation and alcohol via fermentation are a great match, once your trees mature, you will have plenty of sugary fruit to produce alcohol with.
Haha i hope it goes so well that i will have that much fruit to start experimenting with Fermantation!!! But if it goes so well i will post the results (in many many years )

Geejo George

• India, Kerala, Thrissur, tropical fruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »
Dear All,

My name is Geejo George & from Thrissur , Kerala State , India and a lover of various types fruits & veggys
Currently a beginner into fruit farming and found this group very useful to learn & know more about various types of fruit plants all around the world.

Look forward to gain more knowledge from this group and thanks all in advance for the supports.

Regards

Pbala_Coco

• usa, tx, Adkins, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 04, 2019, 08:50:25 PM »
hello y'all,
I am from Texas. looking to learn and grow a few things.

bye