Author Topic: Costa Rica mango cultivar question  (Read 3493 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Costa Rica mango cultivar question
« on: May 28, 2017, 04:26:37 AM »
Friend asked me this question.  He went to Costa Rica a few years back and loved their mangoes.  Smallish, oblong shape and skin stayed purple in color.  Although, it could change color red/orange.  He told me even in its purple color state, it was very good. Seemed to be everywhere in the local markets.  Can anyone hazard a guess as to the variety?  I asked for pictures but he forgot to take any.   My friends thanks everyone in advance for their wisdom.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica mango cultivar question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 10:14:29 AM »
There's gotta be good local varieties wherever mangos are grown.  I loved that article about Goa.  It seems they have their own universe of mango varieties!
John

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
That sounds to me like what is called 'mora' mango.  I did a quick search and only came up with general articles in Spanish on mangoes in cultivation in CR.
Peter

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »
I was unimpressed with every mango I had there. Both our drivers told me that there are all seedlings but I kinda doubt that.
Shane

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 04:54:24 PM »
The above comments go to show there are always opportunities to go more exploring!  And with lots of space on your phone to take pics!

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »
I was unimpressed with every mango I had there. Both our drivers told me that there are all seedlings but I kinda doubt that.

Over the season, I've seen in the markets maybe a half dozen varieties grown commercially here, and most are grown on the more dry Pacific side of the country. All are hybrids and are very good to my liking. I know there are many other varieties home-grown here. Zill's Nursery near Orotina has a good selection. We're a couple of weeks into the season, and the markets are right now full of primarily one variety...large, colorful and very cheap...that everyone says is Tommy Atkins. If it is, I have no complaints about Tommys, in spite of what I've been told. There is a "wild" variety here which is wide spread that makes a more or less 3 inch long, hard skinned fruit that is very bright orange inside and very sweet. I like them a lot, but it takes a lot of them to satisfy my appetite for them.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »

Doug, I'm going to be visiting CR end of this week...I hope there will be mangoes for sale by then. What other fruits are in season? I love fresh fruits  :)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 06:04:37 PM »

Doug, I'm going to be visiting CR end of this week...I hope there will be mangoes for sale by then. What other fruits are in season? I love fresh fruits  :)

No problem. Lots of mangoes. Many "regular" fruits and some unusual ones too. Go to any "ferria" (farmers' market) which are held usually toward the end of the week in nearly every town of any size. I'm particularly enjoying right now the many varieties of avocados grown here.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 06:30:08 PM »
I have seen Mamey Americana lately as well as abiu and canistel.  There could be salak, Mamey sapote.
Peter

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 12:25:38 AM »
Back in the 60s Floridahad a program to distribute some popular varieties at the time.    variety banks were placed in many countries,  some are still being maintained others have been abandoned.   from these trees, some commercial operations were set up,    Haden, Palmer, Irwin, Kent , Osteen, Glenn, and even some Asian varieties.  I am certain that many over the years locals  have just planted mono embryonic seeds and have gotten new hybrids that might have some resemblance to known cultivars.

here is a video of one of these genoplasm banks set up during that program in Peru,   The one in the DR was abandoned years ago,  some of the trees were cut down, but many still are there,  last year most these trees were heavily pruned with the Idea of turning this into a public fruit park, I have been assisting in ID'ing some of the varieties.

Anyway,  the fruit you mention could be one of these or just a seedling hybrid.
http://youtu.be/NcW0udw2H3I
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
Thanks! Looking forward to eating some delicious fresh fruits especially mangoes  :)

Interesting Video to watch even though I don't understand much Spanish  :( . I enjoyed looking at the pictures of the mango trees with fruits :D 

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
Back in the 60s Floridahad a program to distribute some popular varieties at the time.    variety banks were placed in many countries,  some are still being maintained others have been abandoned.   from these trees, some commercial operations were set up,    Haden, Palmer, Irwin, Kent , Osteen, Glenn, and even some Asian varieties.  I am certain that many over the years locals  have just planted mono embryonic seeds and have gotten new hybrids that might have some resemblance to known cultivars.

here is a video of one of these genoplasm banks set up during that program in Peru,   The one in the DR was abandoned years ago,  some of the trees were cut down, but many still are there,  last year most these trees were heavily pruned with the Idea of turning this into a public fruit park, I have been assisting in ID'ing some of the varieties.

Anyway,  the fruit you mention could be one of these or just a seedling hybrid.
http://youtu.be/NcW0udw2H3I

Awesome that you are able to be a part of the plans!

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 07:58:34 PM »
Hi guys,
i am reviving this topic as i could not find a mango topic relating to Costa Rica.
anyone here could help me in this? I am trying to buy a small piece of land around 5-6 acres in CR and have no preference to any particular area except that i want to grow mangoes, avocados, annonas and soursops. I have been told that CR has many different climate types. What part of CR is more suitable to growing these fruits especially mangoes. Do i need to be close to ocean or can i be on mountain at altitude around 1000-1500 ft? I visited the Pacific coast side this March and it looked dry and saw many mango trees but did not see much flowering or fruit setting. Is it because the cold temps are mild and don't encourage flowering? will it help to go up to mountains of the Pacific side where temps drop lower?
I am not talking about growing for commercial production but for hobby like i do here in South Florida and for the taste of mangoes and avocados that i enjoy here in South Florida. Please help. 
Satya

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 01:03:57 PM »
Hi guys,
i am reviving this topic as i could not find a mango topic relating to Costa Rica.
anyone here could help me in this? I am trying to buy a small piece of land around 5-6 acres in CR and have no preference to any particular area except that i want to grow mangoes, avocados, annonas and soursops. I have been told that CR has many different climate types. What part of CR is more suitable to growing these fruits especially mangoes. Do i need to be close to ocean or can i be on mountain at altitude around 1000-1500 ft? I visited the Pacific coast side this March and it looked dry and saw many mango trees but did not see much flowering or fruit setting. Is it because the cold temps are mild and don't encourage flowering? will it help to go up to mountains of the Pacific side where temps drop lower?
I am not talking about growing for commercial production but for hobby like i do here in South Florida and for the taste of mangoes and avocados that i enjoy here in South Florida. Please help.

I'd look at the Pacific side of the country. Dryer there for avocados and mangoes. Of course, that depends on what mini-climate you find property in on that side. I live on the Caribbean side where there's more rain ( a lot's more), and it's great for many types of fruits. I have over 70 fruit varieties. Peter at Finca la Isla on the Caribbean coast I believe has several hundred varieties, at least. But, I only have two varieties of mango (Tommy and Mora) that maybe (maybe!!) can stand the humidity and disease pressure here. And, I recently re-re-re-re-planted avocados, all on meter-high mounds . . . eternally hopeful but somewhat doubtful. In spite of that, I much prefer the climate on our side. Cooler! Good luck!

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 08:16:45 PM »
I would say that Orotina to Alajuela would be good. Also from orotina north into guanacaste. You don’t have to be at a low elevation. You could probably be up to 3000’.
 Check soil quality and water availability. Mango season goes from about late February into June or so in CR.
Peter

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 09:16:54 PM »
Thank you Doug and Peter. The land i was watching was an hour up north from Tamarindo, 30 mins up hill from Santa Barbara, the village closest to it is San Jose del a montana. The elevation there is 1500 ft. I saw mango trees growing there and asked the variety to a local guy. He didn't know and said the locals grow 3 varieties, one is Mango, other Mangga and the other is 'small yellow one'   :D I forgot to ask about the fruit set amount in the trees...it was the beginning of March and i didn't see any flowers or fruits on the mango trees so i was wondering if they bear fruits alternate years. There were also soursop trees with good fruit set, a noni tree and jacote plum trees.
Satya

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 07:14:47 AM »
Costa Ricans will commonly say 'manga' for select mangoes.  Gary Zill has a mango nursery in Orotina where many high quality mangoes are offered.
I’m not personally familiar with the area you are talking about.  Again, soil quality and water availability. The climate should be alright there.
Peter