Author Topic: Are these cherimoya ripe?  (Read 3528 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Are these cherimoya ripe?
« on: January 19, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »
Ordered from California, just arrived. Since we don't get these here and I had to pay a pretty penny for a box, I want to make sure I know when to cut in. I would classify these as still firm/hard - they really don't have any give like a ripe avocado would. Most in the box are still green, but these are getting brown so figured I'd ask.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Are these cherimoya ripe?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:36:54 PM »
cherimoya is ready to eat when it gives when you press on it a bit, like Mangoes.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 11:58:36 PM »
it looks like two days from ripening

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:03:16 AM »
I have a custard apple 'san pablo' which is giving up its first fruit. Should I wait till it is soft on the tree before picking?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:14:39 AM »
I have a custard apple 'san pablo' which is giving up its first fruit. Should I wait till it is soft on the tree before picking?

No, once it is soft on the tree, if it would survive that long, you would most likely lose out on its quality.  As I stated in a previous post, many fruits should not hang on the tree till they are soft/fully ripe.  Most likely than not, by that time the fruit is compromised in some way.
- Rob

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 10:20:07 AM »

No, once it is soft on the tree, if it would survive that long, you would most likely lose out on its quality.  As I stated in a previous post, many fruits should not hang on the tree till they are soft/fully ripe.  Most likely than not, by that time the fruit is compromised in some way.

One more thing to add to rob's comment, from what I've seen, by the time it ripes on the tree, the seeds inside already germinated which will not taste as good because of the new texture.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »
ok the VERDICT is in based on one that was eaten at a ripe stage today (we ate a couple that were not yet fully ripe yesterday/Thursday).

Can't really judge every cherimoya variety that is out there, but from what I was shipped, it's alright/ok - has a mildly pleasant taste but nothing that knocks my socks off/would make me move to California/would make me spend absurd amounts of money having another box shipped to me.

I'm actually glad I got these when I did because last weekend we bought some soursop/guanabana from a local store. First time for eating both soursop and cherimoya. Comparatively speaking, I found the soursop to be much better in terms of flavor and overall enjoyment. Guess I can stay in Florida!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 04:33:24 PM »
ok the VERDICT is in based on one that was eaten at a ripe stage today (we ate a couple that were not yet fully ripe yesterday/Thursday).

Can't really judge every cherimoya variety that is out there, but from what I was shipped, it's alright/ok - has a mildly pleasant taste but nothing that knocks my socks off/would make me move to California/would make me spend absurd amounts of money having another box shipped to me.

I'm actually glad I got these when I did because last weekend we bought some soursop/guanabana from a local store. First time for eating both soursop and cherimoya. Comparatively speaking, I found the soursop to be much better in terms of flavor and overall enjoyment. Guess I can stay in Florida!

You need to try other moyas.  If you had a well grown, ripe  Pierce,  El Bumpo,  Campas, Fino de Jete, Honey Hart or Sabor I have a feeling you would have a different opinion.
- Rob

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 04:35:12 PM »
this was a horrible year too Rob. Atemoyas that I refuse to eat tasted like heaven in absense of cherimoya or sub par fruits this year. I have 4 mature trees that are cocktail, got no fruits this year.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 04:49:08 PM »
this was a horrible year too Rob. Atemoyas that I refuse to eat tasted like heaven in absense of cherimoya or sub par fruits this year. I have 4 mature trees that are cocktail, got no fruits this year.

I heard of your unfortunate lack of crop.  Crop was small but no problem with quality on you know who's moyas...
- Rob

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »
actually CRFG tasting was horrible. this year best cherimoyas came online in Oct, way earlier.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 05:26:22 PM »
actually CRFG tasting was horrible. this year best cherimoyas came online in Oct, way earlier.

Gonna disagree with that.  I had boxes in December and January.  I just finished some that were amazing.  Absolutely no bad fruit from what I got. 

As with mangoes, its all about where they were grown and who grew them...
- Rob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 12:24:34 AM »
2 out of 5 fruits from my Irvine tasting bag ended up being pretty good. Others were a little tart and watery.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 12:32:40 AM »
2 out of 5 fruits from my Irvine tasting bag ended up being pretty good. Others were a little tart and watery.

I didn't see you there? they ran out of moyas when we went to pick them up. Rob get's his moyas from one of the best growers in Socal but those Irvine moyas in the tasting were horrible. I've had 30 or so from my yard this season and they have been excellent even the ones I ate last week, so I would disagree with Behl. Bays is good and Dr. White is mediocre not the best moyas is you are trying them for the first time. 

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 01:03:21 AM »
I didn't see you or Behl there either. I saw Ashok talking to a couple of people before I left.
Probably best that you didn't get the bags anyway. My last year's bag had half the fruits failing to ripen. The tastings before that were good.