Author Topic: Anybody have updates on their multiple rootstock Mango tree?  (Read 9421 times)

darkcoolboo

• Tucson, AZ - USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody have updates on their multiple rootstock Mango tree?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 03:29:31 PM »
I was watching a youtube video in which a stone graft is done with two rootstocks per scion:
https://youtu.be/hzBerXm1WCY?t=19m18s

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 07:49:42 PM »
Just to revive this thread -- anyone in California (especially outside of the LA area, where Mangos do well) have any recommendations on which store mangoes yield vigorous seedlings / trees?  At the store right now there are Keitt, Ataulfo, Kent, Hayden, and Tommy Atkins.  I'm thinking of seeding multiple and doing approach grafts with them to set up a multi-rootstock situation, but wasn't sure which are the best bet.

Thanks!

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 03:48:36 AM »
I did two,   have one with Pickering, and the other with Kesar.

The Pickering I grafted really high,  not pretty, was that I had the dual rootstock already made for many months before I decided to graft onto it and it grew in size. plus only had the one scion, and had to match the size.

anyway both plants are doing very well.  still in containers.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »
I have been planting seeds around a few different types of trees in my yard to attempt this as well. My reasoning was to plant a seed directly in ground next to a grafted plant that was purchased in a pot. This way the new seedling will grow out with its taproot naturally working its way down in the soil. I am especially excited to see how this works with my lychees since they are air layered with the exception of a grafted Emperor that is still in the pot. Everything is still young sprouts at this point but I toured a friends place that did this with a bunch of different jackfruits and they are doing fantastic. I like the idea of giving trees the taproot they would naturally have. The concept seems perfect but we will see how this works out in the real world. Hopefully some of the jackfruit inarches will produce some fruit.
-Josh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 05:47:35 PM »
Just to revive this thread -- anyone in California (especially outside of the LA area, where Mangos do well) have any recommendations on which store mangoes yield vigorous seedlings / trees?  At the store right now there are Keitt, Ataulfo, Kent, Hayden, and Tommy Atkins.  I'm thinking of seeding multiple and doing approach grafts with them to set up a multi-rootstock situation, but wasn't sure which are the best bet.

Thanks!

The strongest sprouts for me are Kent, Keitt, Haden and Tommy Atkins. All of the monoembryonic mangos with large seeds give me vigorous sprouts. My polyembryonic mango seedlings come up weak but there are reports that Manilla seedlings may be more cold hardy and adapt to our souls better.

Instead of innarching the seedlings together, try double stone grafting: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16549.0
Simon

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2015, 12:00:53 AM »
Thanks Simon.  I'll go with the big monoembryonic ones then.  I saw your post on the other thread about double stone grafting -- looks very cool.  I hope I can match up the scion width to be exactly the width of the two rootstocks together!

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2015, 12:03:53 AM »
Can grafting only be done on to a seedling?
Or can one graft on to a healthy grown tree that is a grafted one to begin with?
My Graham is 8-9 feet tall, very healthy with excellent branching, but it is not very productive and the fruit are mediocre.
Wondering if it is possible to graft other mango varieties on to it. Or cut it down and start all over again with another tree in that spot.
Someone posted a link to a video on mango grafting techniques, and I'm getting ideas. But from the video, it was not clear whether the trees getting the grafts were grown from seed (with tap root) or were themselves grafted varieties.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 12:57:52 AM »
Can grafting only be done on to a seedling?
Or can one graft on to a healthy grown tree that is a grafted one to begin with?
My Graham is 8-9 feet tall, very healthy with excellent branching, but it is not very productive and the fruit are mediocre.
Wondering if it is possible to graft other mango varieties on to it. Or cut it down and start all over again with another tree in that spot.
Someone posted a link to a video on mango grafting techniques, and I'm getting ideas. But from the video, it was not clear whether the trees getting the grafts were grown from seed (with tap root) or were themselves grafted varieties.

StPete,

No, grafting is not restricted to seedling trees.
Yes, you can "top-work" your grafted Graham tree with scions of more desirable varieties.
Watch this video from Tim Thompson on top working a mango tree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4MB23FFi8
Good luck!

Warren

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2015, 06:38:03 AM »
Thanks, Warren.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
StPeteMango, that video Warren posted is informative but I wouldn't use that method personally because his graft has contact with the cambium on only one side and he was only able to get one scion onto that rootstock. Instead of cutting the rootstock in the middle, I would do two bark grafts across from each other and both scions will have contact on both sides. See the double stone grafting thread where I have a picture of a small rootstock, approx 1 inch diameter, with two scion that were bark grafted.

I always clean my grafting tools really well and make sure not to use any rusty equipment to minimize contamination.

Simon