Author Topic: 1st maha off my tree  (Read 18167 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: 1st maha off my tree
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2015, 01:47:18 PM »
My Maja should ready by late July

This is  a picture of your Mahas?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:58:35 AM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 03:30:30 PM »
Yes Harry. I have several clusters on this little tree. I'll take better pix later

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 08:00:08 AM »
Maybe its the camera angle but the shape of what I see here does not look like classic Maha shape.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 08:12:38 AM »
Harry - you will enjoy this.  Yesterday Richard Wilson shared with Sheehan and myself a perfect specimen that came off the tree from the Sundy House.   The fruit size was a bit smaller but had a beautiful rosy blush on 3/4 of one cheek and the rest of the fruit was the classic yellow/gold coloration.   I cut and shared a cheek with Sheehan.   Sheehan ate the flesh scraing right down to the skin.  Well, against his customary Mahachanok comments,  he praised it for its flavor and how good it was near the skin.  UUnfortunatley I did not get any pictures,  or better yet, video with audio, to document this event.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 08:27:37 AM »
Thanks for the Sheehan-annecdote.  I spoke to him briefly yesterday but he didn't mention the tasting. I guess he is afraid to admit that he actually liked a Maha.  I have to say that this year's fruits at my house have been pretty darned good when eaten ripe but still quite firm.  In the past I have allowed some fruits to go a bit overripe trying to have as many varieties available for the tastings.  He may have been subjected to slightly overripe Mahas which caused him to be unimpressed by them in the past.

BTW what is the current correct Richard Wilson pronunciation of the name this mango?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2015, 08:48:47 AM »
Thanks for the Sheehan-annecdote.  I spoke to him briefly yesterday but he didn't mention the tasting. I guess he is afraid to admit that he actually liked a Maha.  I have to say that this year's fruits at my house have been pretty darned good when eaten ripe but still quite firm.  In the past I have allowed some fruits to go a bit overripe trying to have as many varieties available for the tastings.  He may have been subjected to slightly overripe Mahas which caused him to be unimpressed by them in the past.

BTW what is the current correct Richard Wilson pronunciation of the name this mango?

Aren't you supposed to be driving right now? Did you take my advice and feign sickness to avoid going to Canada?

It was one of the better tasting Mahas that I've had. Much better near the skin. That means it's 100% your fault for cutting away the skin from all the mangos at your tastings. You should be ashamed.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2015, 09:01:26 AM »
I didn't have to feign anything. My severe mental condition. .....MOCD (mango obsessive compulsive disease) was apparent and in full bloom.....but it was to no avail.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »
Ok Harry, here are pix of a fruit. the back of the tree has smaller clusters of 2-4

The front and on it's 4 or 5 bloom holding 43 fruits

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:57:53 PM by JF »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2015, 03:14:16 PM »
Yes......much more familiar. You had me worried there for a while.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2015, 05:20:25 PM »
Tasted my first Maha yesterday.  Definitely a worthwhile mango.  Should be in the collection of everyone who has a collection.  Collection=6 or more mango trees.
John

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »
Yah, I agree with Sheehan -- it's the flavor near the rind that rawks (like coca cola syrup in my opin). But one has to eat it before fully mature to appreciate the flavor. The Chanok is similar to the fairchild but with a better flesh consistency and perhaps a little sweeter.
Jeff  :-)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2015, 01:47:37 PM »

Very nice Maha mango tree Joe!! It's absolutely loaded for it s size  8)

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »
Yesterday evening I noticed my lone Maha had colored up dramatically and the yellowing reached down to the bottom tip. I wasn't gonna take a chance with the raccoon that visits the little tree  EVERY NIGHT to dig up the mulch... so I twisted it and it popped off easily. Now it's starting to smell...  not as gently sweet and perfumey as most mangos,..  a bit more pungent and distinct.

Here it is just minutes after I picked it, before allowing it ripening off the vine:

Heartwood

• USA, Florida, Broward, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 10:57:25 AM »

Schön

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 11:15:45 AM »

Schön

dies wird langsam lächerlich
- Rob

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2015, 02:14:35 PM »
Woah... the first fruit off my Maha Chanok tree was delicious  :) :D  ;D 

Just shared some with Ray, the maintenance man at our office. I asked if he thought it was any good. His exact words in between bites were:

"Wow that's different... But Good... like Candy... Best I ever had."

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 11:05:05 AM »
I noticed that the very top of my mango - the area all around the stem, was especially concentrated with the spicy ("cola") flavor. I called it "the bottle cap."

The very bottom tip of the Maha Chanok I had was bitter and unpleasant.

Is this a characteristic of the fruits, or was that just a fluke of one particular mango?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
Was it pepsi cola, coca cola, RC Cola, Coke Zero, Diet Coke, caffeine free coke or perhaps a Tab product?  Plastic bottle, vlass bottle or can?
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2015, 11:31:22 AM »
hahaha

i've seen the same thing happen when someone eats a top notch mango for the first time!

thanks for sharing this feel good (taste good) story!

Woah... the first fruit off my Maha Chanok tree was delicious  :) :D  ;D 

Just shared some with Ray, the maintenance man at our office. I asked if he thought it was any good. His exact words in between bites were:

"Wow that's different... But Good... like Candy... Best I ever had."

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2015, 12:51:55 PM »
Coca Cola volatiles include  eugenol, coumarin, linalool 1,8-cineole,  and others.

Some of these components are shared in some mango varieties.

I have had an interest for some time, in what components make one variety taste like it has coconut, peach,  lemon etc.    also what makes one variety more susceptible to fruit flies and another more resistant.

what has surprised me, is how much difference there is between mango varieties,  its amazing.

If anyone is interested in looking into this,  here is the best reference I have found online:  explains each of the components in mango, and what the aroma / flavor is:
http://ietd.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/2445/10/10_chapter3.pdf

Components of Maha and Nam Doc Mai,   sadly the lactones are not listed here,   which I suspect MC is high in.
http://www.ifrj.upm.edu.my/19%20%2804%29%202012/22%20IFRJ%2019%20%2804%29%202012%20Laohaprasit%20%28024%29.pdf

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »
Coca Cola volatiles include  eugenol, coumarin, linalool 1,8-cineole,  and others.

Some of these components are shared in some mango varieties.

I have had an interest for some time, in what components make one variety taste like it has coconut, peach,  lemon etc.    also what makes one variety more susceptible to fruit flies and another more resistant.

what has surprised me, is how much difference there is between mango varieties,  its amazing.

If anyone is interested in looking into this,  here is the best reference I have found online:  explains each of the components in mango, and what the aroma / flavor is:
http://ietd.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/2445/10/10_chapter3.pdf

Components of Maha and Nam Doc Mai,   sadly the lactones are not listed here,   which I suspect MC is high in.
http://www.ifrj.upm.edu.my/19%20%2804%29%202012/22%20IFRJ%2019%20%2804%29%202012%20Laohaprasit%20%28024%29.pdf

Tropicdude,

Thanks for the fascinating information! Scientific, biochemically based "mango reviews" - no wine tasting b.s., just good old fashioned Likens-Nickerson
Simultaneous distillation-extraction (LNSDE) and Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) data ;)

The ZINC-family and the Maha Chanok must both contain similar volatile compounds. And the Maha may have a different aroma compound in addition to the classics.

I also was fascinated to read in the second link Keow Savoy mango is eaten with with fish sauce.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »
haha! that's rad. So, those of us who sense cola syrup are not loco after all!

In general it's been a bad year for mango flavor, probably due to the fact that so many bore early. Many mangoes suffered from washed out flavor and/or internal breakdown. You'll notice that this year's posts are rife with negative commentary regarding many of the top tier mangoes.

However, Maha Chanok was one of the few that were consistently delectable this year. I'm definitely planting mine out.
Jeff  :-)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2015, 04:47:53 PM »
I fell victim to the soda syrup psychosis while eating a maha today but the miniature pink elephant riding a unicycle through my kitchen told me it was just my imagination!   ??? ;) :P ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_psychogenic_illness

Brandon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2015, 04:57:20 PM »

In general it's been a bad year for mango flavor, probably due to the fact that so many bore early. Many mangoes suffered from washed out flavor and/or internal breakdown. You'll notice that this year's posts are rife with negative commentary regarding many of the top tier mangoes.

However, Maha Chanok was one of the few that were consistently delectable this year. I'm definitely planting mine out.

I fell victim to the soda syrup psychosis while eating a maha today but the miniature pink elephant riding a unicycle through my kitchen told me it was just my imagination!   ??? ;) :P ;D

here is my theory...

Coca Cola (and similar sodas) taste sweet and intense, and the exact flavor is hard to describe, being that it's a complex formula comprised of an assortment ingredients.

the maha has an intensely sweet flavor, with an array of flavors, having an almost syrupy, rich flavor in the flesh.  Maybe this is why people can easily make the association with coca cola?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 07:50:06 AM »

here is my theory...

Coca Cola (and similar sodas) taste sweet and intense, and the exact flavor is hard to describe, being that it's a complex formula comprised of an assortment ingredients.

the maha has an intensely sweet flavor, with an array of flavors, having an almost syrupy, rich flavor in the flesh.  Maybe this is why people can easily make the association with coca cola?

Despite all the illusionists, the Mahachanok does not have an intensely sweet flavor.  It is very well balanced and definitely sweet but in no way would it be classified as intensely sweet.
- Rob