Author Topic: 1st maha off my tree  (Read 18169 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 1st maha off my tree
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 07:54:44 AM »
haha! that's rad. So, those of us who sense cola syrup are not loco after all!

In general it's been a bad year for mango flavor, probably due to the fact that so many bore early. Many mangoes suffered from washed out flavor and/or internal breakdown. You'll notice that this year's posts are rife with negative commentary regarding many of the top tier mangoes.

However, Maha Chanok was one of the few that were consistently delectable this year. I'm definitely planting mine out.

While some have been disappointing from the early bloom, Coconut Cream for one, there are many that have no sshortcomings.   Sweet Tart,  Fruit Punch,  Taralay   Lemon Zest,  Guava,  Pineapple Pleasure,  Mallika and Spirit of 76 are just a few that come to mind that have had no flavor sacrifices this year.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 11:28:51 AM »
yes, it's quite sweet, but not intensely sweet...(like a sapodila)
the flavor is intense though...it would have been a better description to just say "intense flavor"

but you see the point I'm trying to illustrate about the cola comparison.

both are intense flavors, that are complex and difficult to describe.

haha! that's rad. So, those of us who sense cola syrup are not loco after all!

In general it's been a bad year for mango flavor, probably due to the fact that so many bore early. Many mangoes suffered from washed out flavor and/or internal breakdown. You'll notice that this year's posts are rife with negative commentary regarding many of the top tier mangoes.

However, Maha Chanok was one of the few that were consistently delectable this year. I'm definitely planting mine out.

I fell victim to the soda syrup psychosis while eating a maha today but the miniature pink elephant riding a unicycle through my kitchen told me it was just my imagination!   ??? ;) :P ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_psychogenic_illness

here is my theory...

Coca Cola (and similar sodas) taste sweet and intense, and the exact flavor is hard to describe, being that it's a complex formula comprised of an assortment ingredients.

the maha has an intensely sweet flavor, with an array of flavors, having an almost syrupy, rich flavor in the flesh.  Maybe this is why people can easily make the association with coca cola?

Despite all the illusionists, the Mahachanok does not have an intensely sweet flavor.  It is very well balanced and definitely sweet but in no way would it be classified as intensely sweet.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 11:32:37 AM »
My first of two MC crops started ripening this past week. Happy to say they are much more complex in flavor and aroma than last year.

Some claim to not detect aroma in the ripe MC. I am every bit the opposite. I can smell ripening fruit/sap as I get close to my tree. The sap from the fruit has the strongest aroma but the aroma of the flowers, crushed new leaves, and ripe skin all have the same aroma but to a lesser intensity. To ME, the aroma is similar to acetone or other ketone organic compounds. I like the smell of acetone and other ketones.

As I scrape the MC flesh from the skin with my teeth, I get more ketone impression in the flavor.  I dont get much of that flavor from the flesh as it gets closer to the seed. Once again, to ME, I can detect lesser amounts of the fruity ketone smell in other mango sap just much less intense. 

Its that fruity ketone aroma/flavor that I find so intriguing.  I detect it in other intense fruit like the Sweet Tart too.

I can't say I find a cola syrup flavor in mangoes. 

Coca Cola volatiles include  eugenol, coumarin, linalool 1,8-cineole,  and others.

Some of these components are shared in some mango varieties.

I have had an interest for some time, in what components make one variety taste like it has coconut, peach,  lemon etc.    also what makes one variety more susceptible to fruit flies and another more resistant.

what has surprised me, is how much difference there is between mango varieties,  its amazing.

If anyone is interested in looking into this,  here is the best reference I have found online:  explains each of the components in mango, and what the aroma / flavor is:
http://ietd.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/2445/10/10_chapter3.pdf

Components of Maha and Nam Doc Mai,   sadly the lactones are not listed here,   which I suspect MC is high in.
http://www.ifrj.upm.edu.my/19%20%2804%29%202012/22%20IFRJ%2019%20%2804%29%202012%20Laohaprasit%20%28024%29.pdf

Tropicdude,

Thanks for the fascinating information! Scientific, biochemically based "mango reviews" - no wine tasting b.s., just good old fashioned Likens-Nickerson
Simultaneous distillation-extraction (LNSDE) and Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) data ;)

The ZINC-family and the Maha Chanok must both contain similar volatile compounds. And the Maha may have a different aroma compound in addition to the classics.

I also was fascinated to read in the second link Keow Savoy mango is eaten with with fish sauce.
JC

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 12:54:10 PM »
Wow......I just re-read this thread, got a really good laugh and was amazed to see the amount of discussion/argument/analysis is being devoted to the flavor of the Maha Chanok mango, on its own and in comparison with other dynamic mangoes.  I really think you people are a little crazy.  No...actually not a little. Its ridiculous and absurd.......and, I love it. ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 03:58:01 PM »
Always wondered why my diet Pepsi tasted like mango. Not all of it just the part out near the can surface. ;D

DM

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2015, 03:05:33 PM »
People discussing the flavor of popular mango on a tropical fruit discussion forum!@ What is this world coming to?  :-X  ;)

Secretly, I'm kind of glad we can't easily grow durian and mangosteens here in FL. If we did, I would be at risk for full blown insanity.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 01:00:00 AM »
I've had about a dozen Mahachanok they've been exquisite....finally got it down in Socal

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2015, 09:48:47 AM »
how long was your tree's Maha Chanok season this year? Approx what month from first mango to the last? (e.g. late june through late July)

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2015, 09:57:05 AM »

Thanks Brett...other than the large holes I think it should work? But wish I could find something with smaller holes so the critters can't chew through it...but have the same 'easy to work with' as chicken wire  :)...the ones with smaller holes are very stiff and need pliers and are capable of doing some serious injuries to your hand  :(

Appreciate the picture!

My Maja should ready by late July

here is the tree

You can take your chicken wire and create an inner liner with aluminum screen(used for windows).  Has worked like a champ at my place when the squirrels were still getting their paws thru the chicken wire.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2015, 11:33:53 AM »
how long was your tree's Maha Chanok season this year? Approx what month from first mango to the last? (e.g. late june through late July)

Brett
I had my first 10 days ago. My first bloom was February and last in May late April. I have about 25 fruits on the tree so I figure I'll be eating Maha into Sept

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »
Have ate 30 Mahas. 21 still on the tree and are now finishing ripening. This fruit is excellent with a brix of 23 one of the sweetest mango out there. I doubt if this tree will fruit next season I have never seen a tree this size produce so many high quality fruits.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2015, 12:13:14 AM »
JF,

Glad to hear that Maha has somewhat redeemed itself in Southern California.  I recall that it did not do as well in last year's tastings.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:09:24 AM by wslau »
Warren

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2015, 12:22:18 AM »
JF,

Glad to hear that Maha has somewhat redeemed itself in Southern California.  I recall that it do not do as well in last year's tastings.

Yes that's correct Warren. Gary nor I could get a decent tasting Maha last year but this tree from Excalibur produces in clusters and smaller fruits. I brought 10 Maha's that were harvest early to Peter's tasting and the ones ripening now on the tree are sweeter and more complex as it warms up.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »
VERY nice Joe!!! Congrats...all 5 of my Mahas made it except one (found 1 eaten all the way to the seed)  :'(...hoping for a much more productive year next season...but not bad considering I just planted mine inground last Aug.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2015, 10:19:51 AM »
VERY nice Joe!!! Congrats...all 5 of my Mahas made it except one (found 1 eaten all the way to the seed)  :'(...hoping for a much more productive year next season...but not bad considering I just planted mine inground last Aug.

Hi Nancy

Maha appears to be another well adapted variety for SoCal. I can only imagine the crop this tree is going to put out when it matures in 5 years

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »
I'm hoping to harvest the first Maha off my tree very soon. Someone mentioned in a previous post that my fruit were not shaped like the typical Mahas but my tree produces slightly different shaped fruit depending on if the flower pannicle was formed on newer or more mature wood. Half my fruit cracked, all early fruit. Here is what's left. I'm hoping the big guy will hold until the September Mango tasting as I feel it will be full flavored and sweet.

The S shaped fruit are from newer wood and look like typical Mahas.

Simon