Author Topic: Avocado pits stuck? Fruits falling  (Read 5415 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Avocado pits stuck? Fruits falling
« on: March 21, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »
I have a 2 year old hass tree that had a half dozen or so fruits on it.  Wasnt planning to start picking them for another couple months but they have started falling off the tree.  The do ripen and taste great but they all have a pit that sticks to the flesh.  They are not splitting and coming in half easily.  There is a hard part still in the flesh connected to the pit.

2 questions.  Is the tree dropping fruit because it is just immature?  I suspect that is the case.  We had a heatwave here also and the old leaves are shedding and the trees are blooming. 

The second question is whats going on with the seeds and the bad flesh sticking to the pit?  Hopefully this goes away when yhe fruits hang longer or I will probably end up taking the tree out or regrafting it.   
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado pits stuck? Fruits falling
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:06:44 AM »
How long has the fruit been holding on the tree? If they stay on the tree too long, they can become hard and rubbery or woody. Are you experiencing a new flush? A picture of your tree and fruit may be helpful in a diagnosis.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »
Sounds like uneven ripening (happens here with Hass) and possibly weather related and possible drought stress?
- Rob

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
The pit sticking happens with immature fruit in my experience. The fruit falling is likely due to the heat wave primarily, I'd guess. I think you're right on those two guesses.

I'm near you in Ramona, and while my Hass hasn't dropped any fruit, my Reed dropped a couple last week. Neither of those trees is shedding many leaves right now, but my Lamb shed many leaves this time of year in its first three years. I'd bet your Hass will do less of both the shedding of fruit and shedding of leaves this time of year (bloom time) as it gets older.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:16:26 PM »
My trees are shedding all their leaves and are in full bloom.  The fruit was on the tree about 1 year exactly.  New fruits are setting now.  I will cut one open and post a photo.  The tree is still young but so far none of the other varieties have had these issue.  All of the trees are around 2 years old.  Sorry not the greatest photo of the tree.  Its 6 or 7ft tall and wide.

Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »
That tree looks pretty thirsty..
- Rob

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »
Agreed, looks like water stress. It takes about a year for Hass to be ripe and the season is generally about April-Oct depending on where you live and how large your tree is. It seems the lack of water may have caused them to fall off prematurely. Perhaps Carlos can chime in.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 03:55:32 PM »
  May have been thirsty but I dont really think thats it but maybe.  I have been watering quite a bit with the heat we have had.  All the trees are on the same sprinkler line and I have been giving extra to keep the younger trees happy.  Ive got a well and good draining soil so Im not shy with the water.  Im not as worried about the fruit drop as I am the sticking seeds.  The tree is holding the remaining fruit now that its cooled down. 

I will let another fallen fruit get fully soft then cut it and post a photo.

In the mean time here are some photos of my trees.  The large ones are 2 years old.  The smaller ones range from a few months old to a year or so old.

Soil is damp and full of healthy roots and worms.

It seems like Bacon and hass are dropping leaves but not the other varieties yet.  I thik the leaf drop is perfectly normal.  All the trees are flushing new leaves and flowers now.

Hass

Fuerete no leaf drop yet

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:02:06 PM »
Simon, I had typed the last post while you were replying.  I was watering every other day heavily during the heat.  Maybe my larger trees just need a bit more but some of the other types look ok.  All the hass look like that.

Here are more trees on the same line.

Reed

1 pinkerton I picked and 4 dropped hass

Sir Prize 1 year old

6 mo old holiday

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:08:11 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 04:58:03 PM »
Your soil does look moist and worms are usually a good sign. The reason why it looked like water stress to me is because the older leaves were all pointed down and curled up a bit. When new growth occurs or there are changes in conditions, it can stress your plants into dropping fruit. Your trees are still young and they actually look very healthy.

If you are watering about every other day, you may not be allowing the soil to dry out enough and your trees can get root rot. Looks like you are on a slope how ever so you may be safe.

When younger trees start blooming, they often coincide with a large leaf drop which may explain the downward pointing leaves. Your trees really do look pretty good, I hope you like Avocado smoothies and guacamole:) you'll be burried in Avocados in no time.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 05:31:31 PM »
I don't typically water that often.  Just trying to give my youngest trees that were planted over winter a good start during the heat spell we had.  Normally I only water once a week or so during the height of summer with maybe a quick squirt in between heavy waterings for the ypunger trees.  My soil drains so well though, it would probably be hard to over water.  Now that its cool again I will be watering less.
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
I'm glad your watering according to weather and not on a strict schedule as it can be wasteful and detrimental to your trees. Hopefully the issue will resolve itself once your tree has fully matured.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »
Thanks for the replys everyone.  Tomorrow I will cut a fruit and post a photo.  Its a strange thing that none of the other fruits have done so far.  But all of them from this tree have it.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 07:35:01 PM »
I think it's fruit and a canopy load issue.  My Reed is quite a bit larger as an example and it holds only about 20.  IMO the Holiday is not near ready to hold fruit.

I'd concentrate on developing root and foliage mass especially in light of your heat.  Another must is mulching deep and that means never removing dead leaves too.  If you don't have 5" of a loose mulch might wanna add some.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 09:05:27 PM »
I think you right mark.  Trees are young and I need more mulch.  The mulch is a never ending chore.   Its a pain to move the mulch to the trees too.  Have to walk up and down 20 stairs with 50 gal buckets.  Wish I could drop it by helicopter.

Brad Spaugh

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »
My Florida Hass avocado also has droopy/curled leaves but it seems to do that when it puts its energy into flowers and new growth. The new growth looks healthy too so I'm not worried.