Author Topic: Your most priced citrus fruit?  (Read 5352 times)

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Your most priced citrus fruit?
« on: December 28, 2016, 08:16:46 PM »
Right now there are so many varieties to chose from. If you have to make a choice of 5, what would your no 1. My collection right now consist of only 4 that are producing and 4 are just 3 years old(seedlings).
Xi-shan, Page, shiranui, Meyer.

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
Re: Your most priced citrus fruit?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 08:53:56 PM »
hmm you have lemons , and mandarins covered... limes are good but harder to make use of a a lot of them. Id go with an orange variety  Cara cara  red navel would be my choice. Ive eaten them and they are very good- thats the one  on my to get list now.  Second would be the blood clemintine Laaz has seeds for unless he has sold out.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 09:21:19 PM »
I'll go with Cara Cara for the orange family,  Xie Shan as the best of  the mandarins , New Zealand Lemonade for the sour group, and  Bizzaria (periclinal chimera) which is planted in the ground for the strange.  I got the Bizzaria from Laaz some years back.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 11:23:17 PM »
#1 Kishu, then Xie Shan, Meyer Lemon so prolific, Brown Select, New Zealand Lemonade.

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 03:12:20 AM »
Just ate tarocco from my tree this morning. Only a bit red colour, but it tastes better than moro and navel.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 07:34:47 AM »
A lot depends on your location.  Here in South Florida where we can have a lack of proper chilling hours to flavir/sweeten up the fruit, I would be on the fence for and orange, tangerine or grapefruit.   If I had to pick from those grouls, I would have to say Cara Cara or Shiranui.   If I had to pick something outside that group, number 1 would be Red Line and number 2 would be Centennial Kumquat.
- Rob

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 08:41:59 AM »
I'll go with Cara Cara for the orange family,  Xie Shan as the best of  the mandarins , New Zealand Lemonade for the sour group, and  Bizzaria (periclinal chimera) which is planted in the ground for the strange.  I got the Bizzaria from Laaz some years back.

New Zealand lemonade is not sour. My experience with it so far in Texas is fruit is very nice for potted citrus.
Fruit not so good when grown in the ground by a friend with budwood provided by me and topworked exisiting tree. Fruit very poor if left on the tree too long by a friend. The history with the fruit is just from a handful of people as it has only been available commercially for 1 year. Up until then
it was only citrus enthusiasts like myself. In fact I might be the only person in Texas to import the budwood from California
so far other than one nursery. Brazos nursery imported some budwood and propagated 200 trees. They haven't sold many
as it is still an obscure variety here that isn't known to the general public and hasn't been publicized. I've been trying to get
John Panzarella to get a write up in the Houston Chronicle about the fruit.

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »
I would like to grow more lemons but right now i have quite a few that are ripe.I like them in the summer when i have a lot of use for them.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:27:04 PM by luak »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 08:35:17 PM »
luak, just today I picked a lot of lemons, and juiced them.  Froze the juice in ice cube trays, and stored the cubes in the freezer.  My wife uses  them as needed throughout the year.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 08:49:32 PM »
The favorite out of my collection is Owari satsuma; very productive, sweeter than Kimbrough, and staying small on FD roots.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 12:09:01 AM »
Favorite are browns select and kishu.  These followed closely by changsha mandarin and sanbokan lemon.

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 05:39:49 AM »
i do the same.
luak, just today I picked a lot of lemons, and juiced them.  Froze the juice in ice cube trays, and stored the cubes in the freezer.  My wife uses  them as needed throughout the year.

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 02:01:07 PM »
I ruined my little Xie shan by letting it fruit too soon,even though the fruits were excellent. One neighbor ate peel in all and thought it was great flavour.Counted 42 fruits.   

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 03:52:31 PM »
Did it die ?

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 08:28:23 PM »
If anything it probably slowed its growth flushes  down a little bit with that heavy crop. Less flush with  more fruit. Will keep it smaller longer..

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 08:49:48 PM »
Good , I'm glad it didn't die. It certainly had a huge load. I read years ago that Murcott tangerine is well know to load up when very small and can deplete its reserves for the next year. They often die if their fruit is not thinned in a huge on year. Tom

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 10:49:19 PM »
My Xie Shan also had a big crop this year.  I should have thinned the crop by about 50%.  As a result I had a lot of small size fruit.  Citrus fruit draw all of their required energy supplies to grow into mature full size fruit from just the three closest leaves to the fruit,  not from the  entire tree in general. Therefore, if you thin the fruit down to one fruit per each set of three or four leaves, the tree will produce the largest crop of full size fruit possible.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:03:28 PM by Millet »

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 12:20:11 AM »
My Xie Shan also had a big crop this year.  I should have thinned the crop by about 50%.  As a result I had a lot of small size fruit.  Citrus fruit draw all of their required energy supplies to grow into mature full size fruit from just the three closest leaves to the fruit,  not from the  entire tree in general. Therefore, if you thin the fruit down to one fruit per each set of three or four leaves, the tree will produce the largest crop of full size fruit possible.

Satsuma has best quality fruit with small fruit from large fruit set.  http://mrtexascitrus.weebly.com/citrusfruitquality.html

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 12:59:14 PM »
No, my little tree did not die, it is in the shop doing good.It will probably not fruit next year. My Page had a off-year, it is in heavy bloom right now, in the shop under lights.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 08:25:42 PM »
I think smaller fruit taste better than bigger fruit as a general rule. I doubt that's an absolute but I agree with mr Texas from personal experience. Tom
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:31:24 PM by Tom »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »
The same variety will have fruit that tastes different in different climates and will also be coloured differently and have a different size. As a general rule fruit from a cooler climate will be netter coloured, smaller, have thicker skin and a higher acid content. Each variety has an optimal range where it is at its best quality. Your most prized, productive and best flavoured fruit are likely to be those best suited to your climate.

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »
Miho Wase Satsuma, Yuzu and Sudachi <3

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 07:30:46 PM »
I am surprised that Page is not mention, got one now 8 or 9 years old and i just picked a few ripe ones today. As usely pretty good(excellent), deep orange in color, nice size, a keeper for sure.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 09:40:50 AM »
luak, many citrus experts would agree with you about the Page mandarin being the best tasting citrus variety.  I think the only reason it might  not mentioned as often as other varieties, is that it is not grown frequently as the more common varieties.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk