Author Topic: Sapote de Mico, Pouteria torta subps. gallifructa, sprouting  (Read 16612 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Sapote de Mico, Pouteria torta subps. gallifructa, sprouting
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:29:45 PM »
I counted 5 sprouted out of 8 total seeds so far, I purchased from www.fruitlovers.com a while back (month or two max)....They look neat!

Anyone else have any idea or details about this weirdo looking rambutan abiu type fruit?

I'm growing for fun and to have for trade! Its rare you know! Lol

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Sapote de Mico, Pouteria torta subps. gallifructa, sprouting
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:57:42 PM »
Adam, thought you might like to see these photos of immature Pouteria torta subsp. gallifructa, Sapote de Mico, fruits on the trees. I think they are way cool looking! Very different from any other Pouterias. Look more like rambutans.
Green fruit closeup on tree

Green fruit clusters on tree

Ripe fruits

Oscar
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 12:02:03 AM »
Looks the tree is covered with sea urchins. lol Nice find! I'm pretty sure that are many more wild fruit trees out there for us to discover.
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:12:07 AM »
Oscar, what does it taste like?

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 04:41:14 PM »
Oscar told me they taste similar to abiu...

My seeds are slowly germinating, no leaves so far. Pretty slow for a Pouteria IMO  :-\

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »

My seeds are slowly germinating, no leaves so far. Pretty slow for a Pouteria IMO  :-\

BTW FELIPE and OTHERS INTERESTED!

I have some very viable seeds of the P. torta (not the gallifructa subp.)...The fruits are fuzzy, and I love the leaves!!! and growth habit....The fruit isn't the sweetest I've read, but I'm sure us fruit lovers would love to have them just to snack on, maybe when other abius aren't in season? and who knows what benefit you may gain from the Pourteria torta vs. P. caimito? they have different genetic profiles and potentially contain contrasting botanic medicinal qualities.

Let me know if you are interested in the regular P. torta...it handles much more drought and cold I believe....considering it's deciduous and from the cerrado of Brazil.

THanks ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 06:16:45 AM »

Yes, that's right, I think? I've never had them before. But i think all the Pouteria tortas are very similar in taste to abiu. There are 4 subspecies of Pouteria torta.
My gallifructa sprouted at about same speed as abiu.
Oscar
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:27:33 AM »

I have some very viable seeds of the P. torta (not the gallifructa subp.)...The fruits are fuzzy, and I love the leaves!!! and growth habit....The fruit isn't the sweetest I've read, but I'm sure us fruit lovers would love to have them just to snack on, maybe when other abius aren't in season? and who knows what benefit you may gain from the Pourteria torta vs. P. caimito? they have different genetic profiles and potentially contain contrasting botanic medicinal qualities.

Let me know if you are interested in the regular P. torta...it handles much more drought and cold I believe....considering it's deciduous and from the cerrado of Brazil.

THanks ;D

The gallifructa i think will handle more cold than the cerrado (savanna) type because gallifructa is from highlands of Guatemala, where it gets quite cool and foggy, but not freezing!
I've had the Pouteria torta subsp. glabra here. Also has fuzzy orange exterior, just like the cerrado fruit you mention. But the glabra had very nice taste. Some sweeter than abiu. But the fruit is quite smaller than abiu. But the glabra tree seems more disease resistant than abiu. So each has it's own good/bad.
I tried to grow the cerrado type here and they just don't like our high humidity and rainfall.
BTW, the 4 subspecies of torta are
cerrado type (savannas of Brazil) Pouteria torta subsp. torta
Central American type: Pouteria torta subsp. gallifructa
Pouteria torta subsp. tuberculata
Pouteria torta subsp. glabra
(Info from Pennington's Flora Neotropica, Sapotacea monograph)
Oscar
PS i love this species name "torta" because it means cake in spanish! You can have your cake and eat it too!  :D
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 10:50:38 AM »

Of course I would love to get some seeds! Where do you have the seeds from? What about the fruit qualiy?

I think Cerrado plants should do excellent in my place. We sure don't have humidity problems over here. No rain since frebruary 2011...  :-\

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »

PS i love this species name "torta" because it means cake in spanish! You can have your cake and eat it too!  :D

Torta doesn't mean cake in all Latin American countries.  For example, Cubans don't use the word Torta for cake. Back in the old days in Cuba, cakes were known as Pastel. Don't confuse that with pastelito cause it's something different.

We use "torta" as a short slang/abbreviation for the word Tortillera, which means Lesbian.  :o 

It's interesting, cause even though all latin American countries speak the same language, they all have different ways of speaking.  A Spanish word could have different meanings, depending on what country from Latin America you're from.
Alexi

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
ALL the Mexican supermarkets in my area have Tortillera dept, I should go grocery shopping more often and hope they're really Cuban owned  ;)
Tim

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »
Alexi, Oscar is right. Torta is a big cake (in Spain we call it tarta), while pastel is small, and pastelillo smaller. See here:

http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=torta

We also call lesbians tortilleras...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 05:25:41 PM »

Torta doesn't mean cake in all Latin American countries.  For example, Cubans don't use the word Torta for cake. Back in the old days in Cuba, cakes were known as Pastel. Don't confuse that with pastelito cause it's something different.

We use "torta" as a short slang/abbreviation for the word Tortillera, which means Lesbian.  :o 

It's interesting, cause even though all latin American countries speak the same language, they all have different ways of speaking.  A Spanish word could have different meanings, depending on what country from Latin America you're from.

Spanish is my first language. Torta means cake in Spain and in all of spanish speaking South America. Pastel usually means pie, not cake. What you are saying about it meaning lesbian is purely slang, not official language. True every country has different slang.
Oscar
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 05:31:22 PM »
Alexi, Oscar is right. Torta is a big cake (in Spain we call it tarta), while pastel is small, and pastelillo smaller. See here:

http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=torta

We also call lesbians tortilleras...

Cool. Thanks Felipe!  :)  You're a Spaniard?  My family actually originated from Spain. My grand father's family from my mom's side and my grandmother's family on my dad's side are from Austurias.  In the other hand, my grand mother's family on my mom's side are from the Canary Islands. If you see anyone over there with the last name De La Noval (my mom's family on my grandfather's side)  he or she are my most likely my distant cousins.  :) I even have a black and white picture of my great great grandfather in a royal Spanish army uniform with a cane, standing next to an old style chair. Have you heard of the old famous Cuban baseball player known as Pipo De La Noval?  He was my grandfather's cousin.  :)
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »

Spanish is my first language. Torta means cake in Spain and in all of spanish speaking South America. Pastel usually means pie, not cake. What you are saying about it meaning lesbian is purely slang, not official language. True every country has different slang.
Oscar

Thanks for the correction Oscar.  :)
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 12:50:21 AM »
No rain since frebruary 2011...  :-\

Wow! Is that common? How many inches a year do you get at your farm?

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of this tree grown, cant find a pic of the full tree.

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »

"Torta" could be intended to mean "bent", which does not sound so weird given the way the fruit looks...

In Portuguese, "torta/torto" comes from Latin "tortu" and is used when something is, indeed, "bent".
Still, "torta" is used also for "rolled cakes", specifically, which kind of makes sense...they sure
need to be rolled/bent into shape...  ;D

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of this tree grown, cant find a pic of the full tree.

Look here: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=gallifructa
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 08:48:43 PM »

Thank you man, now i know exactly where to put it. how tall would you estimate they get

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 12:55:29 AM »

Thank you man, now i know exactly where to put it. how tall would you estimate they get

Did you see the photo of the trunk? In natural setting they can get close to 100 feet (30 meters) tall. That doesn't mean it's going to get nearly that big in your backyard, in your soil, in your climate, in your lifetime. But still plan for a big tree.
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 02:04:50 AM »
yea a tall trunk which makes it a perfect canopy tree. Maybe with a bunch of TLC i can get it to 80 feet in 80 years  ;)

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 07:41:06 AM »
Anyone have access to seeds of this tree?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 06:21:14 PM »
Anyone have access to seeds of this tree?

Yes occasionally. Have it listed on my web seed offerings.
Oscar

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
Yup am watching for it there too ☺

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk