Author Topic: Lecythis in Florida  (Read 914 times)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Lecythis in Florida
« on: December 11, 2019, 02:13:28 AM »
I have been wanting to grow Lecythis species for quite a while and I saw that Fruit and Spice had a Lecythis pisonis recently planted out.  I think John Painter mentioned he either fruited it or still has a fruiting tree but I could be wrong. Anyone growing any of these in Florida. This video with Paul Recher mentions that they are surprisingly hardy.

https://youtu.be/k3SGgLSOYu4

Another thing that I was curious about was the studies on the selenium content and the poisoning from eating too many. I am guessing the study happened in it's native range and I wonder if the nuts grown somewhere else without excess selenium in the soil would have lower amount to allow for safely eating a lot more.
-Josh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Lecythis in Florida
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 03:38:10 AM »
These lecythis nuts only have high selenium content when grown in soils containing lots of selenium. On soils with little selenium they will contain low amounts, and selenium is actually a required trace element in the body. So usually they are very healthy to eat.
Oscar

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 10:23:51 AM »
Several Lecythis species are sold abundantly in Belem and Santarem. I think Oscar is correct.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 09:54:51 PM »
These lecythis nuts only have high selenium content when grown in soils containing lots of selenium. On soils with little selenium they will contain low amounts, and selenium is actually a required trace element in the body. So usually they are very healthy to eat.

That is what makes sense to me as well. I will be nice to grow these somewhere that can allow you to eat more than a few hand fulls a day. I eat brazil nuts all the time but only 5 or 6 a day.
-Josh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk