Author Topic: Mangosteen grafting  (Read 24351 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Mangosteen grafting
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 09:35:32 AM »
I'm ready  8)

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=9160.0

There is no mangosteen that produces fruit in 2 years from time of planting seed. You're not doing your homework! If you believe this you will also be sold the Eiffel tower.  :o
Report to moderator     Logged
Oscar

Grafted mangosteen trees also will not fruit in 2 years. Part of the reason that mangosteen fruit is so costly is that it takes very many years to get them to fruit.
Oscar

There are lots and lots of vendors on eBay that are less than honest. There is no dwarf mangosteen and no mangosteen that bears in 18 months in a pot as this seller claims. That is the whole point of this thread.
Oscar

From seed to fruiting tree won't ever happen in under 5 years.I have one that fruited after 5 years in the ground and was planted as a seedling over 12 months old. That is a pretty good effort and 8 years is more usual even for healthy trees.

The only difference is that the fruit may also be variegated. If anything a variegated plant grows a lot slower and fruits slower due to less photosynthesis. No way in hell you are going to get fruits in 2 years whether grafted or not!

How about giving name of University, professors that worked on research, name of published papers, etc.? If it is an established fact how about some photos? Old saying in plant business: "photos or it doesn't exist".
Oscar

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:42:18 AM by bangkok »

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 10:47:14 AM »
I'm ready  8)

There is no mangosteen that produces fruit in 2 years from time of planting seed. You're not doing your homework! If you believe this you will also be sold the Eiffel tower.  :o
Oscar

Grafted mangosteen trees also will not fruit in 2 years. Part of the reason that mangosteen fruit is so costly is that it takes very many years to get them to fruit.
Oscar

There are lots and lots of vendors on eBay that are less than honest. There is no dwarf mangosteen and no mangosteen that bears in 18 months in a pot as this seller claims. That is the whole point of this thread.
Oscar

From seed to fruiting tree won't ever happen in under 5 years.I have one that fruited after 5 years in the ground and was planted as a seedling over 12 months old. That is a pretty good effort and 8 years is more usual even for healthy trees.

The only difference is that the fruit may also be variegated. If anything a variegated plant grows a lot slower and fruits slower due to less photosynthesis. No way in hell you are going to get fruits in 2 years whether grafted or not!

How about giving name of University, professors that worked on research, name of published papers, etc.? If it is an established fact how about some photos? Old saying in plant business: "photos or it doesn't exist".
Oscar

Bangkok, you do realize that the pic that Durianlover posted is just a branch that was cut off of a flowering tree and stuck in a pot right?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:49:40 AM by Jsvand5 »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 08:16:08 PM »
I'm ready  8)

Oscar

Oscar

Oscar

Oscar

Bangkok, you do realize that the pic that Durianlover posted is just a branch that was cut off of a flowering tree and stuck in a pot right?

Did he? I wondered if he could have those precocious seeds for 2 years allready but didn't expect him to be this false. Something is wrong with sri-lanka members.. i don't like them.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 08:25:56 PM »
I'm ready  8)

Oscar

Oscar

Oscar

Oscar

Did he? I wondered if he could have those precocious seeds for 2 years allready but didn't expect him to be this false. Something is wrong with sri-lanka members.. i don't like them.

It was a joke

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 08:59:57 PM »
I'm ready  8)

Oscar

Oscar

Oscar

Oscar

It was a joke

Yes i know now, very funny DL!! Must be very boring to live in Sri Lanka i guess.  ;D I hope the developer of those seeds also reads it, let's see how many seeds you'll get from Thailand.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 07:58:36 AM »
I know April fool's day is still a month away, but I was itching to "dorgonize" somebody just for fun. So sorry, just could not resist!! :)

Actually tree in picture is not a seedling or a branch stuck in the soil. It is real alive grafter tree. You can clearly see cleft graft mark, I took picture today from different angle. I got this and other grafted manosteens in Sri Lanka about a month ago for free...(well, not free really but at $2 a piece it's free by american standards). I gave two foliage feedings since, and about a week ago all grafted magosteens decide to push flower buds. I don't really know age of these trees, but if you include time to grow seedlings for grafting, they are probably 2-3 years old.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »
That's pretty cool. looks like it must be a very recent graft since the leaves still look to be growing in the direction they were when they were on the mother tree.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2015, 09:30:41 AM »
That's pretty cool. looks like it must be a very recent graft since the leaves still look to be growing in the direction they were when they were on the mother tree.

Yeah, that graft looks pretty recent.  Hardly calloused over.  I wonder if the scion that was taken from the mother tree was already in "flower mode" when it was harvested.
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 10:08:32 AM »

Yeah, that graft looks pretty recent.  Hardly calloused over.  I wonder if the scion that was taken from the mother tree was already in "flower mode" when it was harvested.

I think that happens a lot with these. Jay mentioned seein a lot of grafted ones with fruit like this. I think after the first year they go back to not fruiting for a while though.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »
It's definitely an incentive when the buyer sees a plant already in flower.  As painful as it will be, I would remove the flowers.  You don't want to give the plant any more reasons to reject the graft and die.  The old Ebayer Greenthumb3000 showed me nice, good-sized, flowering plants.  The ones I received were not even close to the ones in the pic.  Good luck with the plants though and keep posting pics.