Author Topic: ISO pineapple guava, "nazemetz", "moore", "trask"  (Read 2894 times)

organik

• 9b
    • View Profile
ISO pineapple guava, "nazemetz", "moore", "trask"
« on: October 23, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »
looking for rooted cuttings or air layered clones..

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: ISO pineapple guava, "nazemetz", "moore", "trask"
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »
This doesn't really help much but there are trees at San Diego Botanic Gardens (quail). You might ask if they sell them at their nursery. I would doubt it though.

organik

• 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »
unfortunately too far.. i'm 6+ hours north

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:42:09 AM »
I have plants of Nazemetz, Mammoth, Unique, Speakeasy, Vista Long, Coolidge, and either Trask or Triumph (I'll have to check which of the two -- I can't remember right now).  I also know of several good unnamed varieties around town.  I don't have any rooted cuttings but I'm happy to supply cuttings for you to root.  I'm in the Bay Area.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »
How hard is it to root the cuttings? I have a few varieties grafted last year but they're still small and short. I wonder if I can take a small tip and root it.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:34:58 PM »
Here's some info I found on rooting cuttings:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/planting-growing-pineapple-guava-tree-cuttings-46108.html

http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/orchard-introductions/hello-from-walnut-creek-pinapple-guava-t2519.html

Sounds like cuttings from the bottom of the plant, taken at this time of year, is ideal.

I've had success with it once, by accident, but haven't tried all that much.  I have grown them from seed and found that pretty easy, but I know they're not known to be perfectly true.  I know that Merritt College Horticulture propagates their pineapple guava via cuttings, and apparently they have a good greenhouse setup to do it.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:15:08 PM »
Thanks for the links. I will try a couple from the rootstock to see if it works. The grafts I don't think grew much more than 6" this year.

NewFruitNut

• Oakland, CA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 04:01:48 AM »
Devil Mountain nursery in San Ramon, CA, has the Nazametz in both standard and multi-stem.  Unfortunately, they are a wholesale nursery so you have to be or know a professional landscaper to be able to shop there.

https://store.devilmountainnursery.com/inet/storefront/store.php?mode=searchstore&search%5Bsearchfor%5D=feijoa

organik

• 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
thanks for the heads up. my neighbor is a landscaper. i'll see about trying to set something up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk